Answered

Sonos Beam/One responding to commands meant for Echo Show: ESP/Device Arbitration issues

• 9 March 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
I have an Echo Show in the kitchen, Beam in the living room, and a Sonos One in my bedroom. If I stand 1ft from the Show and issue a command, the Show, Beam (15ft from the Show), and sometimes the One (25ft from the Show through a door) will perk up as they hear the wake word, but instead of the Show responding one of the Sonos devices will. Usually this is the Beam. Echo Spatial Perception SHOULD be able to tell I am closest to the Show and therefore expecting a response from the Show. Instead, if either of the Sonos devices hears the wake word they will respond although the command was not meant for them. I’ve tried factory resets, enable/disable the skill etc to no avail. Has this happened to anyone else?
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 11 March 2019, 08:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

ESP will determine which device has recorded the clearest command and trigger that device to respond. This is cloud functionality controlled by Amazon and won't be impacted by any of the actions you've undertaken. The only way I can think of being 100% sure that a command is answered by your Echo Show, is to change the wake word for that specific device.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have the same problem. I have sonos Beam and Echo Spot on the same floor. Sonos Beam always wins when they both hear me even when I’m much closer to Echo Spot. It seems Echo Spatial Perception is broken on Sonos Beam.
I have the same problem. I have sonos Beam and Echo Spot on the same floor. Sonos Beam always wins when they both hear me even when I’m much closer to Echo Spot. It seems Echo Spatial Perception is broken on Sonos Beam.
As @UKMedia suggested, change the wake word for the Echo Spot in the Alexa app.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I muted microphone on Sonos beam instead. Too bad you can’t change wake word on Sonos beam.
I muted microphone on Sonos beam instead. Too bad you can’t change wake word on Sonos beam.
No, but you can change the wake word for Echo devices. So what's the problem?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I don’t want to.
I don’t want to.
You can also disable the Sonos Skill in the room settings of the Beam.
Badge
No, but you can change the wake word for Echo devices. So what's the problem?

You’re correct that this is a bandaid to fix the immediate frustration. The bigger problem is the experience is broken if I have to say “Alexa” to my Beam and “Echo” to my Show. The beauty of Alexa is it just working as intended.

The response I received from Amazon is an update made the Sonos mics more sensitive but both teams are working together to fix the issue. For now we wait.
Badge
*UPDATE* this issue seems to be resolved. The Show now responds when spoken to and the Beam doesn’t respond for EVERY command as it did before.