Sonos Beam gen 2 not showing as an announcement device in Alexa App

• 18 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have added a Beam gen 2 to my home. I was setting up the ring doorbell announcement to all speakers in the Alexa app and go into the Ring Doorbell settings but it is not showing the Beam in the announcement device list. All my other speakers - echo shows and various other Sonos devices are listed. I have checked everything I can think of, including that the Beam in set enabled for communication and announcements in the Alexa app. Disabling / reenabling the Sonos Alexa skill / Removing all Sonos devices and readding.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you added Alexa to the Beam in the Sonos app?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes, it is added.

Yes, it is added.

I’m not sure if Amazon have enabled this feature in some countries outside of the US, as I have this issue too with some Alexa ‘routines’ where only Amazon branded devices can be selected for announcements …and 3rd party Alexa ‘enabled’ speakers are not in the list.

It perhaps might be worth raising this issue with Amazon Support.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes I could see some similar issues in the forum so could well be that. All my other Sonos devices are showing on the list, including a gen 1 Beam. In fact the gen 2 Beam does show as a speaker device in the Alexa app like all the other devices, just not in the announcements list. Surprising as it has been out for a while so would have hoped Amazon had done the necessaries but maybe not!  Thanks for the comments GS & KG, I’ll decide whether to live with this, raise with Amazon or rejig equipment as putting my Ones as surrounds means they can be used as the announcement device.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

It is an odd one as the gen 2 Beam can even be used as an announcement device for Alexa routines, but does not show as an Announcement device here - all the other Sonos devices do: