I feel cheated for the price point i have given

Because Alexa not supported in india

Spotify no

U can't use skills from Amazon Alexa app

Then it's not a smart soundbar

It's just a bar

Indians should not buy it

Unless untill sonos consider india as a potential customer

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I don't know why you would feel cheated, the availability of those services is easily searched here at sonos.com.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3505?language=en_US

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1153?language=en_US

my two cents: if you are ‘Net-savvy’ you might setup a VPN-connection on your router to connect to any of the supported countries; depending on the sales conditions of the shop where you bought the Sonos device they may accept to return and refund it, like some shops in mainland Europe (Amazon, MediaMarkt and others).

Sonos has said here five months ago that sales to India are not supported by them. If you are not happy with the product, perhaps you can get a refund from the seller.

oops, that makes the case even more dependant on the shop conditions 

oops, that makes the case even more dependant on the shop conditions 

Indeed it does, and this is something that all potential India located buyers need to know. Even Amazon India, that sells Sonos kit online collected under what they call the Sonos Store, is making these unauthorised sales - per Sonos Staff.

I have bought and used Sonos kit since 2011, bought from Amazon US and shipped by them to India, and have had no problems, but that is also because most of my kit has line in jacks so I am able to simply wire in Echo devices and get full voice control. I took a chance on lack of warranty support for any failures that may happen, but there has not been a single one in the 12 units I have, a testament to Sonos hardware quality.

But India remains a market Sonos is not interested in, so folks in India wanting all the smart features are better off looking at other options that are now widely available in India.

Badge +17

Indeed it does, and this is something that all potential India located buyers need to know. Even Amazon India, that sells Sonos kit online collected under what they call the Sonos Store, is making these unauthorised sales - per Sonos Staff.

I should clarify here - the sales are not “unauthorised” per se. Sonos just simply doesn’t provide a direct sales path for customers in India at present.

Individual resellers and dealers are allowed and are well within their rights to sell Sonos gear in regions that are not part of our direct sales territories, but customers in those regions should be made aware that not all services are available everywhere.

As most people are likely already aware, service availability differs per service and region, so we always recommend checking on both the individual service’s platform, as well as the Sonos Support site to confirm regional availability.

@James L. 

A copy/paste of what a Sonos Staff member posted on this site five months ago:

As we do not sell products anywhere but on our own website, it seems Amazon have bought stock and decided to sell some of it in India (if it’s even Amazon that’s doing it - who is the seller?), and therefore it’s not our advertising or responsibility, but Amazon’s (or the reseller’s)

In my book, this official statement disowning responsibility for the product is the crux of the matter, that I think India located people should know.

Amazon India even sells models at a premium over the equivalent models minus voice command features, and the statement in italics is one that was made here by a staff member in a discussion about this practice, where Sonos has not so far made the server investments needed to make latency free Alexa integration available in India.

For anyone in India that wants to read about the above referred matter in more depth, a link to the thread that contains this referred statement by Sonos Staff in one of the posts there:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-skills-in-alexa-india-account-6852987?postid=16559652#post16559652

And then, use your judgement to make purchasing decisions.

Badge +17

@James L.

A copy/paste of what a Sonos Staff member posted on this site five months ago:

As we do not sell products anywhere but on our own website, it seems Amazon have bought stock and decided to sell some of it in India (if it’s even Amazon that’s doing it - who is the seller?), and therefore it’s not our advertising or responsibility, but Amazon’s (or the reseller’s)

In my book, this official statement disowning responsibility for the product is the crux of the matter, that I think India located people should know.

Amazon India even sells models at a premium over the equivalent models minus voice command features, and the statement in italics is one that was made here by a staff member in a discussion about this practice, where Sonos has not so far made the server investments needed to make latency free Alexa integration available in India.

Yeah, I’ve seen that post copied over several threads.

The quote refers to details listed on third-party seller platforms, not whether sales of devices are permitted in which location.

The thread you linked above is referring to someone that purchased via Amazon India, which is not a direct sales platform.

The product description has been ripped from our official storefront (sonos.com) and posted on that listing. I’m sure you understand that Sonos is not listing the products on Amazon India, nor do we have any direct control over the contents of it.

All we can do is submit a request to have the listing changed based on the publicly available information found on the sonos.com website in regards to regional availability, which I’m led to believe we have.

It’s completely understandable that you’re looking to make Indian customers aware of the limitations of purchasing such devices in a region that doesn’t support some of those services, I have no qualms about that, but to claim that Sonos is selling devices that “don’t function” in a region where a service isn’t available is a gross exaggeration. 

Providing said quote out of the context of the main thread is also not very helpful.

Should all product listings on all third-party platforms be accurate? Absolutely. Does Sonos have complete control over the claims made on non-direct sales platforms? No. 

I highly encourage people looking to make a purchase to do their own research and make sure the features you want are compatible where you live; especially if the manufacturer doesn’t directly sell to your region.

@James L. I could rebut many of the points you make, but since that will not add any value to future Sonos buyers in India, I will not do so.

In any case, both of us in our own way have said the same thing: buyer beware, to translate the caveat emptor thing.

I did my own research about buying sonos beam

But unfortunately never ever i crossed a review either it is in amazon and other review from press

about the alexa compatibility  in india

We blindly believe big sellers like amazon who sells world famous brands like sonos

Tq for this discussion bye

I should clarify here - the sales are not “unauthorised” per se. Sonos just simply doesn’t provide a direct sales path for customers in India at present.

Individual resellers and dealers are allowed and are well within their rights to sell Sonos gear in regions that are not part of our direct sales territories, but customers in those regions should be made aware that not all services are available everywhere.

@James L. 

Question for clarification: With reference to the above quoted, are the Sonos products purchased in India from Amazon and other resellers covered by the Sonos warranty applicable elsewhere and in the same manner as in the US?

Badge +17

@James L.

Question for clarification: With reference to the above quoted, are the Sonos products purchased in India from Amazon and other resellers covered by the Sonos warranty applicable elsewhere and in the same manner as in the US?

Yes, the products are still covered under the warranty.

However, any replacements or RMAs would not be done directly through Sonos if we don’t directly sell to those regions.

We have trusted partners in many regions around the world (including India) that handle RMA requests, and our customer care team can give the applicable contact information to users if a replacement is needed after appropriate troubleshooting is completed.

We have trusted partners in many regions around the world (including India) that handle RMA requests, and our customer care team can give the applicable contact information to users if a replacement is needed after appropriate troubleshooting is completed.

This is very useful/important for India located users to know, hence I have quoted this with a bold highlight.