Sonos Arc on brand new Hisense TV

• 19 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Hey all,

Have had an Arc since they released last year using the supplied hdmi cable etc, was running on my older Hisense N7 series was capable of turning the TV on and off using Alexa, however with my new 2021 Hisense U7G, I'm getting dumb problems everywhere.

I wiped Alexa from the Arc and deleted everything from the Alexa app, including removing anything from the desktop app at Alexa.amazon.com.

I've just run-through the process of setting up Alexa via the Sonos app, then had to download/enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app. At the moment when asking to turn the TV off, she says "hmm, I can't seem to reach the lounge room TV. Try re enabling the Sonos skill from the app" etc etc.

Anyone have any advice? Hisense Australia were quick to palm off the problem and say it's not their fault at all, even though it was working perfectly fine prior.

Edit: I've successfully got Alexa to turn the TV on (!) but she just won't turn the TV off! You can see her attempt to, but the TV just doesn't want a bar of it. Any advice, people? 

Cheers! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have an LG TV for which the HDMI-CEC command to switch off the TV is not enabled by the manufacturer and it was designed that way. Only the remote can switch off that particular TV. Yet I have another different model of LG TV that will power off the TV using CEC

I contacted LG Support (this was a couple of years ago) and they stated that the CEC commands to ‘power off’ on ‘some’ models are not enabled, as it prevents the user switching off the TV accidentally, for example when a user finishes watching a movie on an attached blu-ray player and wants to switch off that attached player only, but return to watching TV channels from the TV’s built-in tuner - I was told that different engineers design things in different ways around these things. 

Anyhow, I’ve had the TV a few years now and tried everything I can think of, but the only way I can (still) get it to power off is by its infrared remote. I eventually purchased a Harmony Hub and added that to the setup - it uses infrared to power on/off the TV, adjusts its volume and even changes channels using ‘Alexa’ in my case. It was the only workaround I ever found to the problem, FWIW.

Thanks for the info. You'd think as TVs got better with technology that it'd work more seamlessly.

Will likely have to contact Hisense to chase up CEC commands not working.

Cheers! 

Thanks for the info. You'd think as TVs got better with technology that it'd work more seamlessly.

Will likely have to contact Hisense to chase up CEC commands not working.

Cheers! 

Yes, at the very least perhaps explore the CEC setting with their support desk, to try to establish if it’s not enabled by default. It may save you a lot of time trying to otherwise troubleshoot the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Wow. So some TV manufacturers corrupt CEC standards because they know better than their costumers?

A real engineers’ solution would be to let the customer pick the CEC-possibilities they want to use, like the Nvidia Shield does: SHIELD TV Tips and Tricks | NVIDIA Blog.