Question

Sonos Arc and Beam random tones

• 2 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

My Arc and Beam randomly make a sound or tome similar to the Alexa attention tone.   But when they do it there is no reason.  There is a quiet house.  And then [TONE]. ….  

What’s causing this?   I could understand if people are talking and it mis-hears an “Alexa”

It drives my wife crazy.   

Or maybe it isn't Alexa...maybe it just makes its own noise?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Dennis from FL 

I have both an Arc and Beam as well. There is always a trigger of some sort that causes the Alexa tone. Do you have other Alexa devices in your home? Click the link for information regarding Alexa Smart Groups on how to create, manage and delete: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201749250

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Why not just disable the Alexa tone? Then if there’s an accidental trigger, Alexa will listen for a couple seconds, hear nothing useful and go back to sleep. And your wife will not be disturbed.

Plus, talking to Alexa is much faster without the tone. Instead of saying: Alexa [pause to wait for tone] turn on the AC, you can simply say in one sentence: Alexa turn on the AC.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Why not just disable the Alexa tone? Then if there’s an accidental trigger, Alexa will listen for a couple seconds, hear nothing useful and go back to sleep. And your wife will not be disturbed.

Plus, talking to Alexa is much faster without the tone. Instead of saying: Alexa [pause to wait for tone] turn on the AC, you can simply say in one sentence: Alexa turn on the AC.

I was wrong...it isn’t Alexa…..it’s almost a half a door bell …..it “tones” at random times when the room is quiet.   

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I was wrong...it isn’t Alexa…..it’s almost a half a door bell …..it “tones” at random times when the room is quiet.   

What a surprise….it wasn’t the SONOS …. it was the nearby Nest Wifi puck.   It has Google assistant built in and was the source of the noise.