Answered

Sonos and Alexa listening

• 11 August 2019
  • 8 replies

I have a Sonos One with Alexa enabled. I also have amazon echo in other rooms in the house.
No matter where I go in the house everytime I say the work Alexa the sonos always goes quiet to listen.

I tried changed the voice command name still the same thing.

I also closed the door in a room upstairs and spoke quietly to the echo in that room and still the sonos goes quiet to listen with the echo in the other room

Very frustrating when you are watching TV etc...

Any idea how to get stop this pattern and only listen in the room I am in and talking to it?
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 14 August 2019, 08:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This sounds as though the Sonos One is ducking. Can you open the Alexa App>Devices and check that the groups are set-up correctly. Please see my post: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788
Thanks for the suggestion and I looked into it and followed the directions like you said...

Sadly that did not fix the issue. So it only dims for listening for a command when I am on the sonos app listening to music and through Alexa commands starting the music. When I am watching TV it does not dim from another room and works perfectly.

Again it is only when you say Alexa the sound dims. Does not matter what room you are in the house it will go dim and there is no way Sonos heard the wake command sound.

I try changing the wake word on the other echos with no success as sadly you cannot change the wake command on sonos 1

Any other suggestions would be great appreciated
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you try Disabling then Enabling the Sonos skill within the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills.
Thanks for the reply...Sorry yes did that as well three times actually.

So strange it only happens with the Sonos app being used to listen to music or when starting music through an alexa command but not when you are watching TV
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you open the Alexa Group for one of your Echo Dot's and post a screen shot of the Group contents?
Sure

please see attached two groups in the same room

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Well they look set-up correctly - very strange. I'm still thinking this is ducking going wrong as the Beam will never duck when outputting TV. Can you ask 'Alexa, Discover Devices' and retest.

If the problem persists, can you please check in the Alexa App>Devices>All Devices that you have no duplicate names, including the names of Groups.

If the problem persists, I suggest that you delete all of your Groups and retest - All Echo devices across the house should now duck. Then create just one Group for the Living Room and see if the behaviour changes.

Let us know how you get on.
I think by deleting all groups and remaking everything from scratched corrected the problem I think.

I did not have anything that was doubled named.

After starting over with all new group names it seems to not be ducking and now the Alexa voice is coming through the playbar as well as the ones which never happened before.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions I greatly appreciate it.