Answered

Sonos and Alexa in two houses

• 14 October 2017
  • 53 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

You are correct. You have to create two Alexa accounts and two Sonos accounts. It's crazy and it is a Sonos problem, not an Amazon issue.

A basic solution for Sonos would be to recognize all Sonos speakers on the Echo and just require unique names. Then, no matter where you are, you could control the speaker (or in my case a Sonos Connect). Bush league for what it costs...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
... it is a Sonos problem, not an Amazon issue.
What evidence do you have for that, out of curiosity?

The Sonos data model & API definitely include the ability to have multiple 'households' under the same Sonos account. Other applications that interact with the Sonos API use this without any problems. However, it's apparent that Alexa does not support this kind of concept (yet).
You are correct. You have to create two Alexa accounts and two Sonos accounts. It's crazy and it is a Sonos problem, not an Amazon issue.

A basic solution for Sonos would be to recognize all Sonos speakers on the Echo and just require unique names. Then, no matter where you are, you could control the speaker (or in my case a Sonos Connect). Bush league for what it costs...
I think you will find this is an Amazon restriction otherwise friends/family/neighbours and anyone else would all be able to use their Sonos speakers with one Amazon Alexa/Music account. It’s therefore sensible that two subscriptions would be required in this situation.

You can of course continue to remove the Sonos sharing agreement from the Amazon account and then setup a new one when you get to the second home and vice versa, but only one Sonos household ID, at a time, is allowed by Amazon.