Question

Sonos - Alexa Spotify capability

• 20 November 2017
  • 8 replies

Is it possible to use Alexa voice command to synch with a Spotify streaming playlist, so that you can say "play songs by eminem" ???

I have it set up so you can start sootify pause, , and skip songs currently.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Full Alexa voice control of Spotify is promised by Dec. 21.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is it possible to use Alexa voice command to synch with a Spotify streaming playlist, so that you can say "play songs by eminem" ???

I have it set up so you can start sootify pause, , and skip songs currently.

Hi

Please see latest announcement from Sonos, Spotify support is here now :)

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-play-spotify-6794540

You just need to remember to say 'Play' Playlist name 'Playlist' and as long as Spotify is your default music source within Alexa then music will stream from Spotify.
Yes, there now, but buggy. She'll play, but she won't stop. Alexa... Stop... Does not work after Alexa.... Play my Madonna playlist. She hears me and plays. She hears me and doesn't stop. Tried at least 15 times. Had to have her play something from iHeart Radio and then tell her to stop, to get her to stop.
Try "Alexa, pause on (room name)."
Working at last. I changed my sonos names to living room and kitchen. I renamed these as couldn’t add a group for livving room as it was taken by HUE> These are then linked by groups in the sonos app instead of alexa app. Play portishead ON living room (IN rarely works) is now ok. Can’t get playlists to work for love or money. They should have released 21st dec and got it right
Working at last. I changed my sonos names to living room and kitchen. I renamed these as couldn’t add a group for livving room as it was taken by HUE> These are then linked by groups in the sonos app instead of alexa app. Play portishead ON living room (IN rarely works) is now ok. Can’t get playlists to work for love or money. They should have released 21st dec and got it rightHaving less than 100% functionality at launch is not necessarily getting it wrong. And as I understand it, Alexa on Sonos is still in beta. Betas aren't usually perfect, or they wouldn't be betas 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Working at last. I changed my sonos names to living room and kitchen. I renamed these as couldn’t add a group for livving room as it was taken by HUE> These are then linked by groups in the sonos app instead of alexa app. Play portishead ON living room (IN rarely works) is now ok. Can’t get playlists to work for love or money. They should have released 21st dec and got it right

You need to use the syntax 'Alexa, Play (Playlist Name) Playlist', if you omit the word 'Playlist' from the command it won't work. This is all part of the Alexa/Spotify integration.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201601830
The Alexa-Spotify integration doesn't currently offer the ability to play radio stations based on artists, etc., but it's certainly a highly anticipated feature. You'll find that note among other information about the integration here: https://alexa.bio/guide/the-spotify-users-guide-to-alexa/