Sonos alexa integration

• 5 October 2017
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I updated my connect amp and activated alexa integration (echo dot in my case). Now, according to https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4158/~/amazon-alexa-and-sonos it is only able to play music (and of course spotify is not included) through the sonos device? So they spend more than a year to develop a skill that just allows it to play music but not let sonos work as a remote speaker?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Did you have a question? Or are you just venting?
Userlevel 2
Badge
🙂 both actually. I'm still in the in the phase of disbelief and denial. So, is this really it? Am I not able to completely run the sound of the echo over my connect (like with the analog in) or am I doing something wrong? If not, does anyone know if there will be support for complete integration or not?
Came here to write this. I have been with Sonos for nearly 10 years and have spent many thousands with them. The integration is just to cue music? Why can't I hear Alexa's responses through Sonos? I am truly shocked.
I agree. Very disappointing that Alexa voice does not come through Sonos speakers.
Not disappointing to me at all. I don't want an inquiry about the weather to interrupt my music. Same with cooking timers, tones about notifications, reminders, appointments, etc. These types of system sounds and alerts screwing with my music is one of the many reasons I use Sonos over Bluetooth. If I'd wanted a Bluetooth Alexa speaker, I'd have bought one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea I too would not want Alexa notification etc. coming through my Sonos speakers. That is for the internal Echo speaker to perform. Sonos integration is about getting the music to the Sonos speakers.
Yea I too would not want Alexa notification etc. coming through my Sonos speakers. That is for the internal Echo speaker to perform. Sonos integration is about getting the music to the Sonos speakers.

The two top uses for Alexa are (allegedly) cooking timers and music. If I'm rocking out to a cooking playlist in the kitchen, I don't want Echo's "wonk wonk wonk" interrupting it to let me know the rice is done or the steak needs turning.*

*And I have two timers in the kitchen already, but there is the occasion where either they are busy or my hands are full and I have to set one via Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Shopping list (perfect for kitchen) and smarthome control my top uses. I ask Alexa to add eggs to shopping list I don’t want her confirming at music volume over Sonos.

However. If they ever make a link from Sonos unit to Alexa unit (where you then wouldn’t have to tell it to play on a specific Sonos). It’s possible then they could go as far as allowing all alexa commands to filter to Sonos. Until such time as Sonos knows which Alexa it is permanently linked to that would seem difficult.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Two days into new integration and so far I’m loving it. I don’t want Alexa’s voice interrupting my music either! At first I was bothered that I couldn’t group through Alexa, but so long as it supports the Sonos groupings, what’s the difference? It would be confusing to have a secondary grouping mechanism anyway.
So far Alexa has understood everything. Yay sonos!
Can someone answer this question regarding Alexa commands: everything I've read refers to asking Alexa to play music via a music service. Most of my music is hosted on my network, which I access through my "Music Library". Is there a command to ask Alexa to play from the Music Library, and not from a streaming service?
I'd appreciate any insight from you first adopters (like @Paul_51, who is having a good experience so far). Many thanks!
Can someone answer this question regarding Alexa commands: everything I've read refers to asking Alexa to play music via a music service. Most of my music is hosted on my network, which I access through my "Music Library". Is there a command to ask Alexa to play from the Music Library, and not from a streaming service?
I'd appreciate any insight from you first adopters (like @Paul_51, who is having a good experience so far). Many thanks!

Local libraries are not fully supported yet. You cannot initiate playback via Alexa, though once you initiate playback using the Sonos app, playback commands such as play/pause, volume and skip, will work via Alexa. You can even say "Alexa, what is playing on (Room name)" and she will answer with the track or station name.
I’m in the camp of not wanting Alexa to interrupt my music. Going on from that it seems when I interact with Alexa all my Sonos speakers go quiet whilst I ask a question. This is really annoying as well especially when I’m using my playbar for a film and my kids in a different room are using Alexa. Anyone have same issue/fix?