Answered

Sonos/Alexa in multi-room situation

• 24 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
I am having difficulty getting Alexa to respond to audio requests for her to play music over Sonos in several rooms at the same time. She only seems to be able to cope with one room. Anyone else experienced this?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 24 October 2017, 16:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Thank you jgatie that's helpful, and it works; I just hope the facility to add/subtract rooms will be added to the Alexa route in due course!

The ability to group 3rd party speakers is not currently part of the Alexa feature set. Amazon has announced a new AVS Multi-Room Music SDK is coming early next year that will address grouping of 3rd party speakers. Whether Sonos will be able to utilize this SDK remains to be seen.
Userlevel 1
Thanks - I hope Sonos will try to press for this.
Grouping is not supported at this time via Alexa. To play to a group, first group via the Sonos app, then tell Alexa to play in any one of the grouped rooms. It will then play in all grouped rooms.
Userlevel 1
Thank you jgatie that's helpful, and it works; I just hope the facility to add/subtract rooms will be added to the Alexa route in due course!