Question

Sonos & Alexa - Help!!

• 19 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Hi, I have a play 1 (known as “kitchen”) & a play 3 (known as “dining room”) set up in our kitchen/ family room. I’ve also got an amazon echo dot 2nd generation in the same room. Separately everything works perfectly, I.e. if I ask Alexa to play a track she does, like wise no issues with sonos speakers using the app. I’ve then added the sonos skill in Alexa app and grouped the play 1 & play 3 under the title “family Room”. I am using amazon music unlimited to stream music. Everything seemed to set up ok but now seem to be encountering several issues. For example, when I ask Alexa to play a track on either “sonos” or “family Room” it will simply play the last selected track played on sonos (selected within the app). Once playing I cannot adjust volume, skip track or stop the music. The volume will just dip after hearing the word Alexa and then go back to how it was. The only way I can control is to open the sonos app on phone which is not ideal. I’ve forgotten all devices on everything, reset echo/ amazon account & Sonos twice now and continue to encounter the same problem. I know it’s beta but also know it works elsewhere so any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Thanks for the reply, but even as a single unit I encounter the same problems, any other suggestions of why it won’t select specific tracks, and why it won’t stop etc when playing?

Make sure there are no duplicate names for your smart devices and/or groups. If there are lights named "Family Room", name them "Family Room Lights".
Badge
Hi there, this might be a silly question, have you tried renaming the group? Small chance it's a naming conflict, since it's hearing the initial command, but it's failing the understand it's destination.
Thanks for the reply, but even as a single unit I encounter the same problems, any other suggestions of why it won’t select specific tracks, and why it won’t stop etc when playing?
Grouping in the Alexa app is not supported at this time. To play to a group of speakers, you need to group them via the Sonos app and then tell Alexa to play to any one of the grouped speakers. It will then play to the entire group. Grouping via Alexa is supposed to be in the Multi-Room Music SDK Amazon is bringing out early next year, but whether the Sonos speakers can utilize this SDK remains to be seen.