Sonos 5

• 19 January 2021
  • 11 replies

I am very dissapointed to see that the New Sonos 5 does NOT have voice recognition built in. As a family of 5 people who all use my current Sonos Play 5 Gen 1 using an Amazon Echo Input which is plugged into the Play 5 via the 3.5mm Jack lead to talk to the speaker. I currently am subscribed to Amazon Music HD family plan. I would like to upgrade my Sonos Play 5 for the New Sonos 5 but I am struggling to justify the price for an upgrade which would simply enable me to use the new S2 app on my smartphone. I feel that the rough cost to upgrade (£400+) for this speaker is a lot of money for not much gain. This is why I was so disappointed that the Sonos 5 doesn’t even have voice recognition built in! 😳 I don’t buy the argument that music boffs prefer the item without this option as surely if the product is simply made with voice recognition built in, the customer using the product simply has the option to either turn this facility On Or Off. Quite a simple solution! I’m sure other people would agree with my opinion on this matter. 

Overall a very dissatisfied customer on this occasion after using/buying Sonos products over 7 years & spending in excess £2,500 on Sonos products! ☹️

Regards

Simon

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

The new Sonos Five or the Play:5 (Gen 2) are both a huge upgrade in audio quality over the Play:5 (Gen 1) and IMO is the best sounding speaker for music in Sonos’ lineup. You could just upgrade to the Five (or purchase a used Play:5 (Gen 2) to save some money) and plug an Echo Dot into the line in port and you’ll be good to go. An Echo Dot is a much more reliable Alexa device than the Five would ever be.

Hi thanks for your input. It looks like the the sound quality would be a good benefit to gain. Only I would still have to plug an Amazon Echo Dot into the speaker the same as previously I do with an Amazon Echo Input. This really isn’t great. The speaker would I’m my situation befit far better with built in voice recognition to save messing around with the Echo etc. I assume I’m correct in what I’m saying? Any further comments are appreciated. 👍🏻

Userlevel 7

Like I said, the Echo Dot is a much more reliable Alexa device than the Five could ever be. Many users have even complained that the volume of Alexa’s voice on Sonos products is too loud, and the volume of her voice cannot currently be adjusted.

The Five and the Play:5 (Gen 2) sound fantastic when playing music. I think you’ll be very pleased with the upgrade.

You do NOT have to plug the Echo in.  Voice control can be added to any Sonos system, including speakers without any form of line-in, using the Sonos skill for Alexa.  I prefer this to built in control.  You are still using the provisional solution that most of us abandoned ages ago!!

Yes you still need the Echo but for me the pros outweigh the cons.

The new Sonos Five or the Play:5 (Gen 2) are both a huge upgrade in audio quality over the Play:5 (Gen 1) and IMO is the best sounding speaker for music in Sonos’ lineup. 

I heartily agree

Great, thanks for your solid views on this subject. You both have twisted my arm and I’ve just ordered the Sonos Five as an upgrade (30% Off) after your positive responses. Great job! Thanks a lot for your time, much appreciated.  👌🏻👍🏻

Please see these Help sheets. The one about Alexa Groups looks a bit out of date, but is probably still close enough.  You need to get this set up properly.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3169?language=en_US

Great! Thanks. 👍🏻

I don’t buy the argument that music boffs prefer the item without this option as surely if the product is simply made with voice recognition built in, the customer using the product simply has the option to either turn this facility On Or Off.

I don’t think that’s really the reason, but to address it, there certainly are people who still don’t trust mics even with a on/off switch.  The presence of the mic means software could still be listening in without them knowing, even though the switch is hard wired.  That’s part of the reason Sonos is making SL versions of the One and Arc.

However, I think the main reason is mostly because of design and development costs.  I would guess that in evaluating what improvement could be made in upgrading the Five, adding a mic was the only thing they considering adding that would mean changing the physical shape of the play:5 Gen 2.  I’d further guess that they did not deem the built in mic justified that extra cost.

Hi @Toddy9 . My reasons for preferring to use non-voice-enabled speakers and Echo Dots are nothing to do with being a ‘music boff’ (whatever that is).  My main reasons are:

1. Full range of Alexa functionality.  Sonos voice-enabled speakers are just that - they are not Echo devices and don’t do everything an Echo device does
  2. Separate control of Alexa and music volumes
  3. Ability to position the Dot in the best place for it to hear commands, which may be well away from the speaker

The only downside is having an extra device cluttering up the place.  I suppose it would be easier to switch voice assistants (e.g. to Google) with built in voice control, but I don’t think many users will do that anyway.

This is just a personal opinion and others may feel differently.  But it is so easy to add voice control to the Sonos Five (without wires!) that I can understand why Sonos would decide against the cost, and therefore higher price point, of adding voice control.

Hi, thanks for your opinion on the matter. I can see what your saying and tend to agree with you on the matter after all the useful information collected. I now feel I am incorrect with my initial comment.

Regards

Simon