Sonos 1 with Alexa too sensitive

• 19 February 2019
  • 3 replies

I have an Echo dot beside my bed, and a Sonos 1 with Alexa in the bathroom at the other end of the room. When I want to tell Echo dot to do something (turn on a light), the Sonos 1, which for some reason cannot turn on lights, takes over and tells me it cannot do the requested action. I am RIGHT beside the dot, but for some reason the Sonos 1 hears me first/better. How can I turn down the mic sensitivity on the Sonos 1 without turning it off completely?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can't adjust the mic sensitivity. You could give your echo dot a different wake word so the two devices know which one you're talking to . I'd also try and troubleshoot why Sonos One isn't turning of the light. What's the actual word command you're using? Do you have any duplicate names for your smart devices? Is your echo dot a part of an alexa group?
We have tried and tried to get Sonos 1 with Alexa to do the things a normal Echo would do, but it never can do them (like turn off/on lights). Rebooted, factory reset, make sure it's on the same wi-fi (we have two), made sure we are signed in on the right Amazon account. We have 6 other Echos and they all work like they're supposed to, but the Sonos does not. We gave up trying because the dot is so close to the Sonos that we can just use IT, but then this problem came up. For some reason my husband doesn't want to change the name of the device (we don't see that option for the Sonos 1, just for the dot) because it's "too hard t remember which name it has," but that might be our only option. That, or "whispering in the ear" of the dot. It's just odd that the one that is 15 feet away will take over from the one that is literally inches away from the speaker.
I had an issue with my Sonos One not recognizing Alexa commands. I finally did a factory reset, disabled the Sonos Skill in my Alexa App and then reconnected the Sonos One to my Sonos system. Once I reconnected to the Sonos system, I followed the prompts in the Sonos App that have you enable Alexa as the voice control and take you to the Alexa App to re-enable the Sonos Skill and search for new devices. My previous setup never had me search for new devices. My Sonos One was recognized as a new device and it prompted me to set it up. Once completed, no more issues. Hope this is helpful.