So..it's been almost a year since the announcement. Alexa integration guys?

I'm totally cool with you taking time to get it right. But it was August of last year you announced Alexa integration. I've had an Echo for a while and honestly it is easier to tell it to play something, even if the sound is inferior to my play:5.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

They really can't go into the Xmas shopping season without it, so I'm guessing it's coming within a month.
For this long of a wait, I am hoping I can say....
Alexa, Play "Kid Rock" on Kitchen Sonos.
Alexa lower volume on my Kitchen Sonos.
Alexa mute my bedroom Sonos.
Alexa Group my bedroom and kitchen Sonos.
Anything less would be a fail in my eyes.
If not it's "Alexa, cancel my next Sonos order... 😉
If they do this then 'Hey Siri' should also be a possibility. ?
They really can't go into the Xmas shopping season without it, so I'm guessing it's coming within a month.

My best bet would be late December to mid of January, with limited functionality by the time of deployment. Sure it's going to work as expected after a certain amount of time though.
I would be surprised if this doesn't come out before or around the release of Apple's Homepod. Neither Sonos or Amazon is going to want to lose Xmas shopping sales to Apple because they missed this. Really, it's not just about this years sales, but getting your brand established as the ecosystem of choice.

@Ken, from existing info provided, and how Amazon has setup similar integrations. You most likely will have a zone linked to a specific echo, so you won't have to specify 'on kitchen sonos'. How much control you have offer other zones, and grouping features is yet to be seen.

My best bet would be late December to mid of January, with limited functionality by the time of deployment. Sure it's going to work as expected after a certain amount of time though.

Remember that Amazon sells a boatload of Sonos products, at a nice profit. They are not going to allow this significant upgrade to miss the all-important Xmas shopping season. They're already hard at work thinking about promotions for the best Dot/Sonos bundling deals.

Ironically, Apple also profits by selling lots of Sonos speakers. They are going to be embarrassed when customers start asking to demonstrate Sonos' new voice control, which will only work with Amazon devices that they don't sell, and not with Siri. Poor Apple, lol.
Interesting comment.

As an Amazon sales person, I'd simply refer to the new multi-room-compatible GenX Echo speaker when asked about any Sonos product. (It's not here yet but what would Amazon prevent from copying the Sonos multi-room concept, just like Denon did?)

As an Apple sales person, I'd refer to the upcoming HomePod release.

Just because there's an existing partnership allowing Sonos to sell their products in AppleStores does not mean Apple is not going to try to directly compete (and eventually supersede) the current market leader. Same for Amazon.
[...] (It's not here yet but what would Amazon prevent from copying the Sonos multi-room concept, just like Denon did?)
I don't think Amazon will need to. Think of Sonos as the midwife in this respect. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, so to speak.
@passopp could absolutely come up with a mulit-room speaker system. But IMO, they have very little reason to do so. It isn't there bread and butter and isn't going to help them sell more stuff. They've done well by partnering with others and there isn't a good reason to do that now. And the surely have a long list of other features and integrations to be done that would have more bang for the buck, over duplicating features that are already done well by a relative partner.

You also have consider that Amazon has had anti-trust acquisitions breathing down their back. Not a good time to branch out into a new market. And of course, Apple has the homepod. Let them be the guinea pig on this. If sales are good, and it looks like customers prefer an all-in-one setup (not just apple fans) then go that route.
WatchMcGrupp I know what you mean, I currently use the line in option from my echo dot to play 5's and the sound is good but not as good a from Sonos setup
@passopp could absolutely come up with a mulit-room speaker system. But IMO, they have very little reason to do so.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-echo-whole-home-audio-testing-complete-and-ready-to-be-released/
You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, so to speak.

That's not exactly Amazon ethics. Rather the direct opposite.
@passopp could absolutely come up with a mulit-room speaker system. But IMO, they have very little reason to do so.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-echo-whole-home-audio-testing-complete-and-ready-to-be-released/

I'm still a little skeptical. Either way though, it's still not multiroom on the scale that sonos has to offer.
Either way though, it's still not multiroom on the scale that sonos has to offer.

Let's take the stuff stated in that linked blog article for granted for a moment.

Apart from the debacle which Sonos created with its' cumbersome surround sound implementation, what would the Echo multiroom concept be lacking other than stereo pairing setup capability and eventual integration of further 3rd party audio sources like TuneIn, AppleMusic et al?
Grouping dedicated players with each other sounds exactly as what made Sonos famous in the first place.

P.S.: Boost mode is a different topic. 😉
You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, so to speak.
That's not exactly Amazon ethics. Rather the direct opposite.

You misunderstood me. It is Amazon's first step into the Multi-room business, isn't it?
I did catch your drift. ;)

My point is that Amazon is not a friendly competitor. They look at the competition, partner up to gain inside knowledge and eventually take over that particular niche.
'Every day is day one' is only one of their mottos...
My point is that Amazon is not a friendly competitor. They look at the competition, partner up to gain inside knowledge and eventually take over that particular niche.
'Every day is day one' is only one of their mottos...

These are insider facts?
Not really, it's not like these are secrets. A quick research on established online job portals and respective employee work experience reviews will give you the same insight.

I worked for both Sonos and Amazon and got certain impressions through it though.
Obviously I cannot share confidential stuff from my time with both companies, hence I won't do so. But don't underestimate Amazon's drive for market shares.
Remember that Amazon would be adding multi-room features and releasing the new higher fidelity speaker to combat the challenge presented by Homepod, not as an effort to compete with Sonos. Any impact on Sonos would be purely collateral.

I don't see Amazon adding stereo pairing or wireless subs any time soon unless they need to because of something Apple or Google does in that space. Sonos will still have differentiators that matter.
But don't underestimate Amazon's drive for market shares.
I do not, however, Amazon's Echo devices seem to aim especially for owners of home automation systems, whereas Sonos' core competencies excel in Music, Music, Music.
I do not, however, Amazon's Echo devices seem to aim especially for owners of home automation systems, whereas Sonos' core competencies excel in Music, Music, Music.

Amazon's aim is to maintain market share in digital assistants. If Apple forces them to change focus from automation to music in order to accomplish that you will be amazed at just how fast they can execute the shift. Sonos would not be a factor in their decision to do this.
Remember that Amazon would be adding multi-room features and releasing the new higher fidelity speaker to combat the challenge presented by Homepod, not as an effort to compete with Sonos. Any impact on Sonos would be purely collateral.

I don't see Amazon adding stereo pairing or wireless subs any time soon unless they need to because of something Apple or Google does in that space. Sonos will still have differentiators that matter.

This. Amazon's technologies are aimed at making the shopping experience ever cheaper, faster, easier, more efficient. They want to be the one place where you make all of your purchases. Virtually all of their house brand products are value oriented. Inexpensive but functional tripods, speaker wire, etc. Nobody is going to exchange their Manfrotto or Gitzo tripod for an Amazon Basics.

The idea that Apple's upcoming speaker will approach HiFi is laughable. Seven tweeters in a circular array? Really? That ought to image well, lol. It's designed so that a single speaker can spray sound indiscriminately around the room, not for great stereo imaging, which a pair of Play:1s do brilliantly, with great accuracy to boot. Amazon will have a low bar to equal Apple's SQ. They won't need to compete in Sonos' arena.

Amazon's aim is to maintain market share in digital assistants.[...]

Home automation systems and digital assistants are two sides of the same coin; for me, at least.

Apart from the debacle which Sonos created with its' cumbersome surround sound implementation, what would the Echo multiroom concept be lacking other than stereo pairing setup capability and eventual integration of further 3rd party audio sources like TuneIn, AppleMusic et al?
Grouping dedicated players with each other sounds exactly as what made Sonos famous in the first place.

Besides pairing and bonding, there is also alarm features and integration with smart hubs and such, for me at least. For many people, there won't be any difference in features they really care about.. Those same people may be just as happy with 5 dots as they would be with 5 PLAY:5s. But those people were never really Sonos customers to begin with, I imagine, so what difference does it make?

Looking at it differently, part of the reason why the echo has taken off, while Google Home not so much, is because echo dots are cheap. Now, I expect the Homepod to do well despite it's price point, but because people love Apple, not because it's the best product. I honestly don't think Amazon would do as well at the same price point because people don't buy everything with an Amazon label on it.

So, I'd agree with others that say Amazon will do what it takes to control the market, but I don't think they are planning to replace Sonos unless they have to.

Somewhat of an aside, but I don't really care for the idea of having all my speakers having voice assistant mics on them. One mic per room is the way to go, while I want multiple speakers. The tech may even prove, but it's already a little frustrating when I talk to the kitchen echo and my bedroom echo responds. I don't want have echo's/alexa's (one for each speaker) listening to me.
Could a mod please verify that the poster passop is a former Sonos employee? Otherwise, I find his claim questionable at best, unless he sold Kindles and Sonos at Best Buy.