Smart Ducking Instructions

• 10 December 2018
  • 15 replies

Badge
Sonos has shared a video on how to enable smart ducking. Cannot get it to work because the Alexa app does not have the settings they show in the video. Can you provide written instructions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Do you have a link to that video?
Badge
https://twitter.com/SonosSupport/status/1072140271486427136
That looks like a different version of the Alexa app. On mine, you need to to hit the little house with the sliders in it on the lower right (outlined in red). That will bring you to the Groups page. Then you can add/select a group, then set default
speaker.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I saw this the other day and it works great for default speakers, just say play any music and it plays through a Sonos speaker of that is set a defult music speaker in that group(room). I did think it could also stop ducking but it didn't.

You will have to create groups(room) first then add the devices in that group and then the default music device.

HOWEVER, reading the recent instructions you have to have ALL you Sonos Speakers assigned to a group or the smart ducking will not work. I've just done that so will see if this works when I get home this evening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just looked for the tweet and it is now unavailable! Maybe it's not working after all. I'll soon find out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Happy to report ducking works as it should. Only ducking in the same room as the alexa device that has been activated.
Badge
Ducking does not work on my system. It doesn't duck. I have Eco Dot and (1) sonos play 5. Could someone share further instructions regarding proper group set up or what ever I am missing here.
Badge
Also I could not find the video about this problem
Ducking does not work on my system. It doesn't duck. I have Eco Dot and (1) sonos play 5. Could someone share further instructions regarding proper group set up or what ever I am missing here.
1) Create an Alexa Group
2) Put the Echo device and the Play:5 into the Alexa Group; tap 'Save'.
3) Tap (the green area of) the Alexa Group
4) Set up the Play:5 as 'Preferred Music Speaker'
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And make sure every sonos speaker your have is in a group.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Here is an overview for those still having issues: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788/index1.html#post16298346
Badge
Smilja and bockersjv !!!! Succesfully got my Ducking to work! Thanks to you guys. I followed Smilja's advice and created a new group
Badge
that included speaker as you showed in your post above. But it didn't solve the " not ducking problem" until i deleted my original group. Then my sonos speaker started ducking perfectly. Thanks to both of you.
Badge
Smilja, two more things
1. Now that my dot and sonos ducks properly,
with the new group, I need to add room to the command . ex: alexa play music in (room). for ducking to work.
2. How did you create/ use the pictures of your instructions in your reply to me?
Best regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Smilja, two more things
1. Now that my dot and sonos ducks properly,
with the new group, I need to add room to the command . ex: alexa play music in (room). for ducking to work.
2. How did you create/ use the pictures of your instructions in your reply to me?
Best regards

Did you see my post link above?