Answered

Sleep Timer using Alexa - not working with Sonos One

• 31 October 2017
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 1
Purchased a Sonos One to use with Amazon Alexa and have discovered that although I can listen to my favourite radio station, when I ask the Alexa to sleep after any number of minutes, and it acknowledges, the Sonos does not turn off. This feature works perfectly with the Amazon Echo and Dot (which I also own).
I have spoken with support who say that this feature is not currently supported however, as a result, I cannot keep the Sonos in my bedroom (where I bought it for), as I wake up every night now with the radio on in the background (which I don't want).
Does anyone have a fix or does anyone know IF Sonos are working on resolving this as they don't have any way of checking via the technical helpdesk nor can they automatically inform me when it does become available.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 11 May 2018, 18:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Badge
Could you please provide the correct method for getting this to work on my Sonos:One with Alexa? Can seem to get the sleep timer to work with my Pandora account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Could you please provide the correct method for getting this to work on my Sonos:One with Alexa? Can seem to get the sleep timer to work with my Pandora account.
What command are you using for the timer?

You should be able to just say "Alexa, set a 10 minute sleep timer," and it'll stop after 10 minutes. Or whatever other time you want.
Badge
Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the reply! If I want to play a specific Pandora station, do I start the music first and then tell Alexa to set a XX minute timer? What I've been saying is: "Alexa, play smooth jazz radio from Pandora and set a 10 minute sleep timer." Alexa will reply that the timer has started, but no music plays, and therefore my question!
Thank you again for your time to respond. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You need to have the music started first. The sleep timer doesn't work with a double command. One at a time so she doesn't get confused.
Badge
Got it! I'll give it a go tonight and see if that does the trick. Thanks again for helping me sort this out! (Love my Sonos speakers by the way!!)
Did not work for the last two nights. Using spotify and I have a confirmation that the sleep timer is set but keep waking up at 4am with the music still playing!
We're still working to get the Sleep Timer working with Spotify, Th other services listed above should work fine for it however.

Did not work last night with tunein, continued to play even if it confirmed 1 hour sleep timer
I know Alexa had some trouble the other day, but it should be working for TuneIn, let us know if this happens again, and if you can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number it'd be great.

Seems to work now, tried it 3 evenings in a row and it worked every time!

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great! Thanks for the update!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The sleep timer seems to work st a basic level. However, it stops whatever is playing abruptly rather than fading out as the direct device instruction does. This is no use to me as a true sleep timer as this behaviour causes me to wake up again.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The sleep timer seems to work st a basic level. However, it stops whatever is playing abruptly rather than fading out as the direct device instruction does. This is no use to me as a true sleep timer as this behaviour causes me to wake up again.

Yes, it's quite jarring!
And now Sonos sleep timers that were previously working with my Alexa devices are BROKEN again as of July 1, 2018.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
And now Sonos sleep timers that were previously working with my Alexa devices are BROKEN again as of July 1, 2018.It's still working here as of 3rd July. Maybe it was just a glitch. Worrying nevertheless. Hope its OK now.
Any updates on this for Spotify?
Worked in the past well, but since a few days the timer starts and ends at the time it is programmed but I can not stop by Alexa command.