Room Grouping by voice supported with Airplay 2!

• 19 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi all,

I wanted to share with you a little discovery I've made. It is now finally possible to group / ungroup your rooms by voice!

This is possible using Apple's Siri via the Airplay 2 support that has just been added by Sonos.

All you need to do is add your Sonos speakers to the 'Home' app on your IOS device, and then the following example commands will work:

"Hey Siri, play (artist name / song name / album name) Everywhere" (plays on all speakers)
"Hey Siri, play (artist name / song name / album name) in the kitchen and living room" (to play on a selected group of speakers)
-When something is already playing in one room- "Hey Siri, play this in the bedroom as well" (adds what is currently playing to another speaker)

Of course the caveat to this is it is only possible to do this using Apple Music and speaking the command to your IOS device.

It's a nifty feature and one I thought not everyone would be aware of. However, this makes it even more ridiculous that room-grouping via Alexa is still not supported.

I suspect this is down to Amazon rather than Sonos as Airplay 2 is showing the speakers are clearly capable of grouping via voice assistant - but please sort this out! If Apple of all companies is allowing this functionality for 3rd party speakers then surely Amazon has to!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Great point here, Nick. Your topic has been viewed many times, so I am sure it has helped many customers. Thanks for posting it.