Returned Sonos One after a day - not ready for prime time yet

• 25 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
Was very disappointed with the purchase, I opted for it at the first announcement, but guess the marketing was possibly misleading.. when it says "play and control YOUR music" I was expecting it to be able to control my own music library (that's where MY music is) the fact it can only really be used to choose music from a streaming service (which I don't use very often) was a big drawback, as well as the inability to create a stereo pair with my Play:1.

it also seemed buggy, and difficult to play any playlists from my pandora account, and didn't recognize that I have a household setup, so wouldn't change to my wife's amazon prime library as oppose to the one in my name (the amazon app allows that, and the sonos app allows that, but not when the two are combined).

so with those limitations, and the bugginess of the amazon alexa app on android, it had no real use case for me, so I took advantage of the 45 day free-return service. I was also unaware that the software was a BETA.. I don't think it is being sold like that.. some chart of the functionality between devices would be good to have on the website so people would know what they are buying.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Yep, I knew you can control the playback, but it is the starting/selecting from my library that is the key piece for me. If I have to use the app to find/start the music, I may as well use it to control the volume

This. ^
I purchased an Amazon Dot when Sonos Alexa integration was announced, then waited a year or so for it to happen, only to be disappointed by the inability to properly access my music library via voice control. My hope was that the Sonos One would include that functionality, but apparently not, which is pretty much a fail for my situation.
Badge
Yep, I knew you can control the playback, but it is the starting/selecting from my library that is the key piece for me. If I have to use the app to find/start the music, I may as well use it to control the volume... that may be just my use case.. but i think it would be common to want top select from your own collection.

as for the amazon account, in the sonos app, I can select which is my default amazon library which is set to the household account, which has my account linked to it. but under voice control, it only selects my own personal account. having a different voice wouldn't help if I had to keep asking my wife to change the music for me 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Thanks, tried again, got another email saying Tech Support will contact me. So much for no strings attached returns 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Was very disappointed with the purchase, I opted for it at the first announcement, but guess the marketing was possibly misleading.. when it says "play and control YOUR music" I was expecting it to be able to control my own music library (that's where MY music is) the fact it can only really be used to choose music from a streaming service (which I don't use very often) was a big drawback, as well as the inability to create a stereo pair with my Play:1.

it also seemed buggy, and difficult to play any playlists from my pandora account, and didn't recognize that I have a household setup, so wouldn't change to my wife's amazon prime library as oppose to the one in my name (the amazon app allows that, and the sonos app allows that, but not when the two are combined).

so with those limitations, and the bugginess of the amazon alexa app on android, it had no real use case for me, so I took advantage of the 45 day free-return service. I was also unaware that the software was a BETA.. I don't think it is being sold like that.. some chart of the functionality between devices would be good to have on the website so people would know what they are buying.

Actually, it does control your own music library, you just need to add your library to Sonos. Then, using the Sonos app you can do whatever you want with your library for playing back on the One. As far as voice control, you just have to initiate the selection from your library. Then from there you can pause, skip, etc. via voice control. You just can't start playing from your music library via voice.

As far as switching between Amazon libraries, I think you can have Alexa recognize different voices in set up, then it will know which Amazon account to use. (not sure if you had tried that).
Badge
Yes, bought from sonos, used the online form, and got the label within 2 hours. use this link. http://www.sonos.com/en-us/mbg
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Did you buy from Sonos?
They haven't responded to my return request, it has just created a ticket for tech support to call me?
http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/mbg