Read so many threads.. Would like a response

Badge +1
ALEXA > SONOS > Plex....

I've asked in the plex forum and was told

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203082707-supported-plex-companion-apps/
Per that list of supported companion “receiver” applications, It’s likely that you are not able to tell other Plex controller applications to playback music on the Sonos. Sonos isn’t listed as a receiver capable application.

So, my question ultimately is will it work.
Seems no here because of a Sonon deficiency.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/says-playing-artist-but-instead-closes-and-doesnt-play/214509/85

Should Alexa voice commands to tell Plex to play something to my Sonos speaker work?

13 replies

No, Alexa voice control for playback purposes on Sonos works with:

Tunein Radio
Amazon Music
Spotify
Deezer
Apple Music
Pandora
Audible
IHeart Radio
SiriusXM

You can of course manually load other sources to any speaker queue and control that playlist with Alexa, with functions like skip, next, pause etc. and adjust/mute the volume.
Badge +1
Thanks Ken. Appreciate the response.

Is there a specific feature that Sonos needs to implement to get the Plex integration working? Is it roadmapped? Would really help my ideal deployment of multiple speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Is there a specific feature that Sonos needs to implement to get the Plex integration working? Is it roadmapped? Would really help my ideal deployment of multiple speakers.

What every service on the list Ken provided have in common are that they are all supportted on echo devices as well. Although it's never been 100% confirmed, it appears that Alexa isn't going to pass on any music request that it doesn't understand and could handle on it's own devices. That's not so much of a technical limitation as it is a business one.

The other thought is that if that business limitation ever gets resolves, the Sonos cloud server might need to have your plex or local library indexed in some way, in order to determine whether the request is valid or not. That would be a significant effort on Sonos part, and may have some privacy concerns with customers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
[quote=melvimbe]
What every service on the list Ken provided have in common are that they are all supportted on echo devices as well. .

Plex + Alexa is supported on Echo devices.

Or is there something about those other services with Alexa that is different than Plex?
Badge +1

What every service on the list Ken provided have in common are that they are all supportted on echo devices as well. Although it's never been 100% confirmed, it appears that Alexa isn't going to pass on any music request that it doesn't understand and could handle on it's own devices. That's not so much of a technical limitation as it is a business one.

The other thought is that if that business limitation ever gets resolves, the Sonos cloud server might need to have your plex or local library indexed in some way, in order to determine whether the request is valid or not. That would be a significant effort on Sonos part, and may have some privacy concerns with customers.

I'm not sure i'm following. I can say "Alex, Tell Plex to...." and it will deliver that command to plex. If i "tell plex to play Norah Jones" and I don't have any Norah Jones, it'll tell me. It won't reach into my amazon subscription and play it.

The real issue is that for some reason plex cannot see my Sonos device on the network it would seem as I can deliver commands to Plex from Alex.

Also you wrote "supported on echo device as well" -- Shouldn't be as well as Sonos isn't supported on Alex.

I just want to command my speaker to play something from ANY local service. Jriver, Plex, emby. None of stuff works. Pretty upset with my purchase of the One speaker. I guess I should have studied a bit more before I made the buy click on Amazon
eeze,

Whilst plex currently works via a built in music service within the Sonos App, I’ve not seen anything announced that plex will be controlled via Alexa on Sonos, but having said that, Sonos very rarely announce their development roadmap plans and presumably their developers are working to bring google assistant voice services at some point during this year... we will have to see what comes after that, perhaps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Sonos Skill requires a music service to be fully supported on Alexa before it can be used, and due to the way that works it cannot support local music (or per-user playlists on cloud music services). You need to use a different Skill that supports Sonos and Sonos-compatible music services, but that doesn't have the no-local restriction or require native Alexa support.
Badge +1
The Sonos Skill requires a music service to be fully supported on Alexa before it can be used,

No you mean fully supported like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpW8YQ82lNE

In the video, woman speaks to Alex on Echo, music plays. $99 solution.
Badge +1
Just to confirm.. I've been using "Alexa, tell please to play _____" on my Amazon Echo for the last 3 nights and it works perfectly. 1/3 the price of a Sonos...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@eeze, what Sonos speaker are you referring too, and which speaker do you actually have.

The Plex skill is not a smart skill. What that effectively means is that the audio stream cannot be shared in any way. It won't send the audio to specified perferred speakers and can't be targetted to an alexa group, or multi-rooom music group of echos. All it does is return back the audio to the echo the request was made on, not really much different than Alexa responding to a request.

As you can probably imagine, this sort of solution wouldn't be acceptable for Sonos to implement themselves, since multi-room audio is their bread and butter.

FYI, @ControlAV's solution works differently than Plex, Instead of returning playback to the echo, it instructs Sonos speakers directly to play the audio track using Sonos APIs. You still need to preface your commands with the skill name, and I believe you need to have a local server (correct me if I'm wrong), but it may be a better fit for your needs than the plex skill itself.
Badge +1
I have a Sonos ONE,

Regarding your first paragraph, all I can say is when I tell to to play, I hear it on the speaker. targetting an alexa group, multi-room or it being a "smart skill" is irrelevant. it works. I thought when I got Sonos I was buying ease of us. It was my mistake.

Regarding ControlAV's suggest. Frankly, I didn't understand it so I didn't response. Are you saying rather than tell Alexa to feed Sonos, this still basically translate the Alexa command for Sonos to do it itself?

What is the skill name?
I have a local server. I have 3 of them. Looking to consolidate disks/media soon. Part of this project.

Thank you for the help Melvimbe. It's more clear now what the issue is. Appreciate it
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have a Sonos ONE,

Regarding your first paragraph, all I can say is when I tell to to play, I hear it on the speaker. targetting an alexa group, multi-room or it being a "smart skill" is irrelevant. it works. I thought when I got Sonos I was buying ease of us. It was my mistake.

it's understandable to look as the Sonos One as just a echo that sounds better, but that really isn't what it is. It's a part of multiroom audio, and that tends to mean some things are little more complicated than a stand alone speaker. I don't think it's really a matter of ease of use as it is a matter of supportted features.

Regarding ControlAV's suggest. Frankly, I didn't understand it so I didn't response. Are you saying rather than tell Alexa to feed Sonos, this still basically translate the Alexa command for Sonos to do it itself?

I don't think 'feed' is the right word. With the Sonos smart skill, here's the basic steps that occur.

1 - User makes voice command to alexa device (echo, sonos one, etc)
2- Alexa device sends voice to Alexa cloud server
3 - Alexa cloud server translates to text and interprets command (this is why it only works for music sources Alexa understands)
4 - If it interprets command to be playing audio on a Sonos speaker, it sends the command to the Sonos cloud server
5 - Sonos cloud takes command and sends it down to your Sonos speaker.

For a skill like Plex...
3 - Alexa cloud server translates to text and recognize the command is for Plex.
4 - It sends the text command to the Plex server, which interprets the command.
5 - Plex server says a response to the Alexa cloud, which in this case, is an audio stream (I am somewhat guessing on how the Plex skill works in this regard).

Sure, Sonos could have gain more control over what can be done if they create a normal Sonos skill, requiring the "tell sonos' prefix, but that can be annoying to some, and comes with a lot of limitations as far as integrating with other Alexa features.

What is the skill name?
I have a local server. I have 3 of them. Looking to consolidate disks/media soon. Part of this project.

My Speaker

Thank you for the help Melvimbe. It's more clear now what the issue is. Appreciate it

No problem.
Badge +1

I don't think 'feed' is the right word. With the Sonos smart skill, here's the basic steps that occur.

3 - Alexa cloud server translates to text and interprets command (this is why it only works for music sources Alexa understands)
4 - If it interprets command to be playing audio on a Sonos speaker, it sends the command to the Sonos cloud server
5 - Sonos cloud takes command and sends it down to your Sonos speaker.

Sure, Sonos could have gain more control over what can be done if they create a normal Sonos skill, requiring the "tell sonos' prefix, but that can be annoying to some, and comes with a lot of limitations as far as integrating with other Alexa features.

That said, I can easily just use the Plex all inside of Sonos and it works. Why is adding the interpretation difficult? The solution is half baked in my opinion. Then again, as mentioned, i'm currently not a multi-room user so maybe not the target prospect.

I'm not using my echo in the place I want to play my playlists
"Alexa, tell plex to play the playlist Smooth Jazz" and voila, on my echo in my kitchen, it plays.

That's one of my use cases.