Answered

Port and Alexa Integration

• 2 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’m dug in deep in the Sonos ecosystem, but this is my first time with a Port!

I’m curious about the Port’s Alexa integration. Right now I only have two sources in my Sonos system: TV and Line-In (Port). I use the Port for my turntable; that’s it.

If I’m listening to anything other than the TV, I can tell my system “Alexa, switch the Arc to TV mode” and it immediately tunes to my TV audio (‘Arc’ is what I named my Arc in the Sonos app. Use your own speakers’ names when talking to Alexa).

Is there an Alexa command I can use to switch over to the Port? That would be my only personal use for Alexa/Port integration at the moment, but is anyone else using the integration in other ways? And is there a list of Alexa commands (including Port commands)?

icon

Best answer by Kyle A 3 August 2020, 17:15

Hi @jdrednation, thank you for the clarification.

To answer the question, the Arc can’t listen in to the port with an Alexa command.

You can only do it through the Sonos app by selecting the Port then group in the Arc.

Once the group is created, only then the Arc will listen-in to the Port as the audio source.

All of the available commands for Alexa to control Sonos is listed in the link. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @jdrednation, thank you for reaching out.

Just to clarify, when you meant “switch to the Port”; are you trying to play the Port to the Arc as the audio source? or you just want Alexa to play on the Port?

If you just asking Alexa to play, the port should work with Alexa; however, it won’t receive the voice command since it doesn’t have a mic

and make sure the Port is added in the Alexa app and the Sonos skill enabled.

Other than that, It should be ok to tell Alexa to play on the Sonos Port. 

After, you’ll just need to be specific on which room you want to play. (e.g. Port name: patio, Alexa, Play Music on the Patio)  

Here’s an article for more details on commands

Also, the 3rd party amp or receiver connected to the port must on as well. 

To play the audio from the Port to the Arc; we’ll need to group the port and the Arc in the Sonos app by selecting the port first before grouping.

Once the group is created, anything from the Port will also play on the Arc and the reverse can also be done. 

There’s no command to do this with Alexa however.

If you have other concerns feel free to reach out.

Badge

Let me rephrase.

If I want to listen to TV audio through my Arc, all I have to do is say “Alexa, switch Arc to TV mode”.

If I want to switch my Arc to listen to what’s playing on the Port, is there a keyphrase that will switch the source from TV to Line-In?

Hope that explains it a bit better.

I’ve made sure the Port is paired in the Alexa app and the skill is enabled.

Thinking maybe I just don’t know the magic words. The command list to linked to unfortunately doesn’t reference commands for the Port

Thanks!

John

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @jdrednation, thank you for the clarification.

To answer the question, the Arc can’t listen in to the port with an Alexa command.

You can only do it through the Sonos app by selecting the Port then group in the Arc.

Once the group is created, only then the Arc will listen-in to the Port as the audio source.

All of the available commands for Alexa to control Sonos is listed in the link. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.