Please fix that ducking feature

• 13 October 2017
  • 48 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
So I was in the kitchen last night, I turn on the Play:5 using the Android controller. Now when in the living room when I tell my Echo Dot to turn on the lights the Play:5 goes quiet whilst Alexa is listening!

Why does it do that?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Today, we've announced an integration with Sonos and Alexa Groups which makes the volume ducking with Alexa on Sonos, and more, much smarter. Check it out here.
Has anything been done to fix ducking recently?

Sonos has a long standing pattern of announcing features/fixes in the threads that mention them. If the ducking functionality had changed, you would see it posted here.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Has anything been done to fix ducking recently?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Cross-posting here just to add my voice to the crowd to get this fixed, but this needs to work for me based on physical location of the respective devices, not on Sonos rooms, as rooms are too flexible (and need to be that way).

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/ducking-6792257/index2.html#post16223408
Userlevel 3
I have my lights Alexa enabled in various rooms. Works well and good not having to say the light name all the time just 'Turn the lights on'. I keep trying to see if I can add Sonos speakers as the Alexa app 'sees' them as a speaker. Not working as of yet but I am hopeful it will come.

I believe the 'Pair Alexa gadget' setting is for Amazon products only. They are releasing echo buttons for instance that seem to allow you to play games. There are probably more 'alexa gadgets' coming.

Routines work well for me - again we use this just for lights. So we say 'Alexa, bedtime' when we are ready and she turns off the lounge lights and turns the stairs and bedroom lights on.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I still can't see anything in the Alexa app that would allow for example you to choose your default speaker device... This might not matter for a Sonos One where it would be the Alexa device, but would prevent you from using an Echo with Sonos currently in the same room. The Alexa app does recognise that Sonos speakers are wireless speakers so maybe it's something coming.

In "Alexa App > Settings > My Echo Dot" I have what I think is a new setting called "Pair Alexa Gadget". It looks like it is just for bluetooth devices though unfortunately.

Have you tried routines yet? I can't seem to get any to work at all!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
The feature is there for actual Amazon devices today. So I have my setup now for lights where I just walk into the room and say "Alexa turn lights on" and the lights in the same Alexa enabled smart group all come on. However, last I heard was that the Sonos One didn't appear as an Alexa enabled device. I don't have a Sonos One so I don't know if that function is still not available.

I still can't see anything in the Alexa app that would allow for example you to choose your default speaker device... This might not matter for a Sonos One where it would be the Alexa device, but would prevent you from using an Echo with Sonos currently in the same room. The Alexa app does recognise that Sonos speakers are wireless speakers so maybe it's something coming.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
That feature is there now. When you create an "Alexa-Enabled" group in the Alexa app it lists "Alexa-enabled devices" to add to the group. The Sonos One should be listed there.

I've not tried it but I presume since nobody has announced it that it doesn't fix the ducking

OK thanks for that Dave, but that wasn't quite what I was asking about. I was simply asking if, when Amazon have made it possible for their Echo devices to activate a connected device in the same room where no room name is specified in a command such as "Alexa play Jazz" (as opposed to "Alexa play Jazz in {roomname}"), whether this functionality will be extended to the Sonos One and other Alexa-enabled devices. If, however as you say, it is possible to add non-Echo devices to an Alexa group this would make it more likely they will be treated the same I guess. We may just have to wait and see.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Now to my question - some posts have discussed Amazon possibly introducing a feature in the near future whereby the nearest echo device will activate speakers, lights etc. in the same room if no room name is specified and that such a feature would enable Sonos to limit the ducking to the room where the instruction has been given. This may well be fine if using an Echo device, but what about if you are using a Sonos One? Will the Amazon API allow devices other than Echos sited in a particular location to respond differently in accordance with their location?

That feature is there now. When you create an "Alexa-Enabled" group in the Alexa app it lists "Alexa-enabled devices" to add to the group. The Sonos One should be listed there.

I've not tried it but I presume since nobody has announced it that it doesn't fix the ducking
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It's a great shame this otherwise interesting thread has been ruined by people having a go at each other. Some people are very pro Sonos and others think they're useless and not listening to customers - that's the nature of the forum and people are entitled to come from those perspectives so insulting each other is pointless as well as offensive to all of us.

Now to my question - some posts have discussed Amazon possibly introducing a feature in the near future whereby the nearest echo device will activate speakers, lights etc. in the same room if no room name is specified and that such a feature would enable Sonos to limit the ducking to the room where the instruction has been given. This may well be fine if using an Echo device, but what about if you are using a Sonos One? Will the Amazon API allow devices other than Echos sited in a particular location to respond differently in accordance with their location?
When you are ready to discuss the Amazon Connected Speakers API and the impact it may have had on the length and features of the Sonos/Alexa integration including ducking, the topic of this thread, I'll be happy to engage you. Until then, take care!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Amazon API released 3 weeks ago? WTF are you talking about! So they developed it all in a week?! No wonder its crap :8.

And by the way, "vicious"? I scolded a person for childish use of profanity and told him to act like an adult. Hardly "vicious". :8

What profanity, do you mean ('WTF') ? Is that childish? :8 You scolded me? get a ducking grip.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I wasn't sure whether it was an auto correct or site filter that changed the thread's title.

Is that a YES?

Yes. Once, many years ago. So what? Different boards have different rules. As I said, if you have a problem with me, report it to the mods. If banning me is what you are after, that is your only recourse. Good luck! 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Now who is hijacking the thread with off-topic nonsense? As I said, if you have a problem, report it to the mods.

Is that a YES?
Now who is hijacking the thread with off-topic nonsense? As I said, if you have a problem, report it to the mods.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Well, I was going to add to this topic some observations I had on ducking. But, jgatie has again ruined another thread with vicious attacks on someone who doesn't completely worship Sonos as he does.

There is nothing here preventing you from posting about the ducking feature, except of course the fact that you would seemingly much rather hurl stones at me. Instead of hypocritically adding to that which you just complained about, if you have a problem with my posts and feel they are against the TOS, feel free to report me to a mod.

And by the way, "vicious"? I scolded a person for childish use of profanity and told him to act like an adult. Hardly "vicious". :8

I can't say I'm curious; because I already know. But, I'll ask anyway. Have you ever been banned from any other audio-related forums?
Well, I was going to add to this topic some observations I had on ducking. But, jgatie has again ruined another thread with vicious attacks on someone who doesn't completely worship Sonos as he does.

There is nothing here preventing you from posting about the ducking feature, except of course the fact that you would seemingly much rather hurl stones at me. Instead of hypocritically adding to that which you just complained about, if you have a problem with my posts and feel they are against the TOS, feel free to report me to a mod.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
My reply was to your use of profanity. That was an attack on your posting, not a question of whether you were a paid shill hired to denounce Sonos.

And you should have kept reading, that link is also describing the new API for basic controls of third party speakers.

New Alexa developer tools extend multi-room audio to other connected speakers and audio systems

. . .

New Tools Let Device Makers Create Additional Voice-Controlled Music Experiences with Alexa

Amazon also announced two new sets of tools for developers to bring multi-room music control to their speakers.

. . .

Connected Speaker APIs

These new tools enable device makers with connected audio systems to control music playback using Alexa. A customer can then use any Alexa-enabled device – for example an Echo Dot – to play music throughout their home on their connected audio systems. Amazon is excited to be working with leading brands on this offering, including Sonos, Bose, Sound United, and Samsung.

See that above, "including Sonos, Bose, Sound United (aka Polk, Denon, Marantz), and Samsung". Now tell me, which one of those manufacturers have actually released these capabilities to the public?

As to the rest, I'm going to back away from you now. You completely misinterpreted my post, even after I clarified it. I would explain how I in no way said that the development started 6 weeks ago, but there is no sense arguing with someone so intent on seeing things in a negative manner. You have a nice day now, ya hear!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Attacking the poster, the last bastion of defense for a failed argument. It would be annoying if it wasn't so predictable. :8

You might want to re-read your post that I was replying to.

By the way, no comment on the Amazon API information that you conveniently snipped from your quote?

Sorry, the quoted text was to highlight the arrogant reply and insults made to me, I didn't read the link.

I've now read the link you posted about the API, it talks about an API to enable syncing echo devices? What has that got to do with Sonos' implementation?
So you think Sonos started developing all this voice control stuff 6 weeks ago, putting the beta live about 2 weeks ago, so 4 weeks development time :8
I kinda doubt the interface between Sonos and Alexa will be out of beta in a week, nor do I see the release of the Sonos One to mean beta has to be over. The Sonos One has to do all the things that Sonos does on it's own, and there is no reason to doubt that. It also has to do all the things that Alexa does on it's own, and that shouldn't be a problem. It then needs to automatically play music sources in whatever zone Sonos One is defined in, which really would be the only real new feature. Controlling other zones, grouping, music sources, and such can still be in beta, as I see it.

I also agree that regardless of how difficult the development may or may not be, a year of development could actually be rather impressive, if you consider the decisions that had to be made to get it done. These are things we will never be informed of, but having been on several software implimentation projects where several groups are involved with different objectives to the project, it's entirely possible that 95% of the 'year of development' was spent on higher ups negotiating.

If that's defending Sonos, so be it. I prefer to try and figure out why things are the way are then just assume that Sonos is just blatantly failing at whatever the issue is, particularly when they obviously have spent much more time on the issue then I have.

I'm perfectly aware of that, when the Sonos One is out then I would think the Skill would be out of beta, otherwise they are selling a beta product.

Now quit with the arrogance 😃 And get your head out of Sonos' arse. Do you work for them 🆒

And there it is folks, the accusation that I work for the company. Attacking the poster, the last bastion of defense for a failed argument. It would be annoying if it wasn't so predictable. :8

By the way, no comment on the Amazon API information that you conveniently snipped from your quote?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Act like an adult.

And for the last time (read slow now), the "product" you purchased is not a beta, nor is the Sonos app. The beta is the Alexa skill that you VOLUNTARILY agreed to enable, thus joining the beta.

I'm perfectly aware of that, when the Sonos One is out then I would think the Skill would be out of beta, otherwise they are selling a beta product.

Now quit with the arrogance 😃 And get your head out of Sonos' arse. Do you work for them 🆒
Amazon API released 3 weeks ago? WTF are you talking about! So they developed it all in a week?! No wonder its crap :8

And yes, I don't expect to be paying £200 for a beta product otherwise it's going straight back.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2297100

Sorry, six weeks ago, my mistake. And obviously it was developed along with other speaker manufacturers, so the work was concurrent. The point is Sonos' timeline was dependent on Amazon.

By the way, any other speaker companies even close to Sonos in their implementation? No. Denon actually did promise 1st quarter 2017, and they have nothing. So knock it off with the nonsense, and can the profanity. Act like an adult.

And for the last time (read slow now), the "product" you purchased is not a beta, nor is the Sonos app. The beta is the Alexa skill that you VOLUNTARILY agreed to enable, thus joining the beta. Don't want to participate in a beta, don't enable it. Instead, wait for the general release, which will probably still be ahead of Denon's.