Answered

Playing Spotify with Alexa on Sonos One

• 24 October 2017
  • 24 replies

I just got my Sonos One today and am trying to get Alexa up and running. It is working with all of my home automation, Wink, Nest etc, but I can get Alexa to play anything on Spotify, which is my only music subscription service. She keeps saying “cannot play from Spotify music on that Device”. I have linked all of my accounts, and they show up as linked. I also do have a premium account on Spotify. Anyone have any thoughts? She does offer to set me up an Amazon music account when I just ask for a specific song or artist, then plays me a sample of the song.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 December 2017, 18:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

I do realize it it Alexa, typo when I asked the question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Fosty74, you can use both the Sonos App or the Spotify App to start playing music on Sonos from Spotify, but currently Alexa isn't able to start playing Spotify on Sonos. We're hard at work with the Alexa and Spotify teams to get that working, but it's not ready yet. Once music is playing, you can use Alexa to skip, adjust volume, or pause.
Thanks for the reply, I just got an email from Sonos with the same info. Alexa was not suppose to work in Canada but I was able to find a work around and getting it going. Since it was not to have Alexa, no info was supplied to Canadians about what it can and can’t do. So far it is working well other than the Spotify functionality that will come. One annoying thing is that I need a Spotify premium account to use Spotify on my Sonos, not Sonos’ fault but annoying that I need to spend an extra $10 a month to listen to Spotify on it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hoping the capability to start playing music on Sonos on Spotify be available via voice command........ especially on people who has only Spotify as their music service.
I do realize it it Alexa, typo when I asked the question.
Is that why when I ask Alexa to play a specific artist on a Sonos speaker It responds that it can’t find songs by that artist but it can find them when asked to do it without sending it to Sonos?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Spotify can't come soon enough, it is also our primary streaming service.
Is that why when I ask Alexa to play a specific artist on a Sonos speaker It responds that it can’t find songs by that artist but it can find them when asked to do it without sending it to Sonos?

Yes. Currently if you use the Spotify service on Alexa, it will not initialize play from Spotify on Sonos. Spotify support is expected by Christmas.
Once music is playing, you can use Alexa to skip, adjust volume, or pause.

Only Volume works for me; Skip and Pause do not.

Skip response from Alexa, "What do you want to play?".
Pause response from Alexa, "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that."
Once music is playing, you can use Alexa to skip, adjust volume, or pause.

Only Volume works for me; Skip and Pause do not.

Skip response from Alexa, "What do you want to play?".
Pause response from Alexa, "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that."

Check in the Alexa app under Menu > Smart Home > Devices for Smart Devices with identical names. If so, give them unique names, such as "Living Room" for the Sonos and "Living Room Lights" for the lights.

For more tips on renaming smart devices and other troubleshooting, see this link:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4345
Currently you can’t use Alexa + Sonos to control Spotify. It’s “coming soon” according to Sonos.
[quote=jgatie]Currently if you use the Spotify service on Alexa, it will not initialize play from Spotify on Sonos. Spotify support is expected by Christmas.

Picking songs from Spotify while in the shower is a killer feature for Sonos One. Very surprised Spotify support wasn’t there at first ship. When I tried it said “I can’t play from Spotify Music from that device”. Big let down. Eagerly awaiting Spotify support by Christmas. Please make this your #1 feature for the next release!!!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I am patiently waiting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There is a bit of a workaround. If you set Spotify as your default music source within the Alexa App, you can select an artist from Spotify with an Echo dot and control with the Sonos 1 afterwards.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
It’s frustrating they haven’t figured this out. I’m all sonos’ed up and showing friends. Would love to show them that Spotify and Apple Music work with them through voice command via Alexa and/or Siri. Right now everyone is going HomePod in my group. But love my sonos speakers. Help me prove friends wrong on Sonos and get the Spotify and Siri API! Thank you for producing awesome speakers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
There is a bit of a workaround. If you set Spotify as your default music source within the Alexa App, you can select an artist from Spotify with an Echo dot and control with the Sonos 1 afterwards.

How do you do this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi JerSeattle

- Login to your Alexa App;
- Select 'Music, Video & Books' and then select your Echo device from the drop down list box;
- Link your Spotify account (Only works with Premium account);
- Select 'Settings' and then 'Music Services';
- Select 'Choose default music services' and then select 'Spotify'
- Select 'Done'

When you ask to play a specific artist on your Echo device, it will now default to Spotify as the source.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thank you! Worked perfectly!
PLEASE PLEASE add Spotify support. It can’t come soon enough on the Sonos One with Alexa
I have bought my wife a sonos one for Christmas and am going to get her a subscription. I am leaning towards google music at the moment but does anyone know if this is or will be compatible with Alexa?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I suspect that this will happen when Sonos offer Google Assistant as the AI, due in early 2018. Spotify support is available from 21 Dec 2017 and Amazon music streams now.
Thanks
I just got my Sonos One today and am trying to get Alexa up and running. It is working with all of my home automation, Wink, Nest etc, but I can get Alexa to play anything on Spotify, which is my only music subscription service. She keeps saying “cannot play from Spotify music on that Device”. I have linked all of my accounts, and they show up as linked. I also do have a premium account on Spotify. Anyone have any thoughts? She does offer to set me up an Amazon music account when I just ask for a specific song or artist, then plays me a sample of the song.Got a Sonos upgrade last week, and now I can ask my Sonos One to play my playlist from Spotify! Strange though since I haven't seen any Spotify support announcement for Sonos One..
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm a couple weeks late, but if you missed it Spotify is now playing on Sonos through Alexa. Take a look here for details.