Answered

Playing music on Sonos Play 1 through Amazon Echo Dot via bluetooth from device (mobile/laptop)

• 30 August 2018
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies
Hello,

I have an Amazon Echo Dot and tried to play music from my phone through bluetooth on it, which worked fine. Anything I played on my mobile would play on Echo Dot. If I add Sonos Play 1 speaker on Amazon Echo Dot, would I still be able to play anything on my mobile/laptop and the sound still coming out from Sonos?

Mobile -> Bluetooth -> Amazon Echo Dot -> Sonos?

This is for anything played on the mobile.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 30 August 2018, 03:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Umm, 99% positive that won't work. I've never messed with, but it was my understanding that when you use the dot as a bluetooth speaker, your turning off Alexa features. Even then Alexa and Sonos integration isn't streaming, it's using Alexa commands to tell Sonos to play music directly fro the source. However I am pretty sure there's a better way to accomplish your goal.

First off, Sonos can access a wide variety of music services on it's own, as well as music files stored on a computer or your phone. So if that fits what you're looking for, you'd be good.

Second, many Sonos products are airplay2 compatible. So if your phone is an apply you can stream audio from your phone directly to Sonos in a similar way to bluetooth. I believe that covers just about everything.

Third, there are a few Sonos products that have aux line, such as the connect or the play:5. You could directly connect your phone to the Sonos line in. If you really need bluetooth you can buy a bluetooth receiver dongle and connect that to the Sonos line in.
Thanks. Your comment on how alexa and sonos operates is spot on, cleared my confusion. So the answer is no, I cannot play bluetooth music from my device (like youtube, etc.) on Sonos through alexa.

I think the first option you've mentioned, i.e. playing from my device directly on-to Sonos is the only option, and probably the best. Sonos Play 1 doesn't have Airplay 2 support and neither aux line.

Another query - would you know if alexa and sonos set-up on their respective apps and then connecting them together, can be done on two devices at the same time, e.g. say my mobile and laptop or another mobile?

Thanks!
Umm, 99% positive that won't work. I've never messed with, but it was my understanding that when you use the dot as a bluetooth speaker, your turning off Alexa features. Even then Alexa and Sonos integration isn't streaming, it's using Alexa commands to tell Sonos to play music directly fro the source. However I am pretty sure there's a better way to accomplish your goal.

First off, Sonos can access a wide variety of music services on it's own, as well as music files stored on a computer or your phone. So if that fits what you're looking for, you'd be good.

Second, many Sonos products are airplay2 compatible. So if your phone is an apply you can stream audio from your phone directly to Sonos in a similar way to bluetooth. I believe that covers just about everything.

Third, there are a few Sonos products that have aux line, such as the connect or the play:5. You could directly connect your phone to the Sonos line in. If you really need bluetooth you can buy a bluetooth receiver dongle and connect that to the Sonos line in.

Thanks. Your comment on how alexa and sonos operates is spot on, cleared my confusion. So the answer is no, I cannot play bluetooth music from my device (like youtube, etc.) on Sonos through alexa.

I think the first option you've mentioned, i.e. playing from my device directly on-to Sonos is the only option, and probably the best. Sonos Play 1 doesn't have Airplay 2 support and neither aux line.

Another query - would you know if alexa and sonos set-up on their respective apps and then connecting them together, can be done on two devices at the same time, e.g. say my mobile and laptop or another mobile?

Thanks!