Question

Play through Sonos when connected to phone

• 15 August 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi

Any advice appreciated.

So I bought an echo dot to pair with my Sonos play 1. Although it works great if I tell Alex to "play music" and it by default plays through the sonos, is there anyway I can get the Sonos play one to play whatever I am playing on my phone (eg youtube).

I thought I would be able to do it when I say " connect my phone", and the echo dot then connects the phone, however it then plays through the echo dot rather than the sonos.

Is it possible to do what I am trying to do, or is there a simple work around?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes, add YouTube Music as a streaming service and you can stream directly from your phone.
Thanks for the response. Yes I'm aware of YouTube music but that's a premium service I don't want to pay £10 a month. Is there anyway to do it via the echo dot or any alternative?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Get a Sonos Speaker that has Airplay 2 compatibility. Currently the Play 5 Sonos One, The Beam and the Playbase. You can then share the Airplay music to any other non compatible speaker in your system.

I'm waiting for the rumoured portable speaker!!
Understood but I have the play 1, and dont want to change the speaker so just want to know if there is a way I can play youtube from my phone via the echo dot onto the sonos or anyone other way I can do it.
Understood but I have the play 1, and dont want to change the speaker so just want to know if there is a way I can play youtube from my phone via the echo dot onto the sonos or anyone other way I can do it.

No. You cannot. Unless you are streaming via Bluetooth or Airplay, YouTube requires a premium subscription.