Answered

Play Music on Alexa Echo and Sonos One, Simultaneously?

• 25 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi there --

I recently bought an Amazon Echo and paired it with my Sonos One speaker. Now, I can give voice commands to the Echo to play music on the Sonos speaker, which is great.

However, I was curious to see if both speakers can play the music I tell Alexa to play, but at the same time. It would be cool to create a 'surround sound' type of situation, as it currently only plays on one speaker at a time.

Would love to see if this is a possibility, thanks!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 25 July 2018, 22:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Could somebody please explain me how do you play simultaneously on the Alexa Echo and Sonos one?
I have tried to put both devices in a group called "home" and asked Alexa to play a song in the group home, but it only plays on the Sonos speaker.

Thank you

You can't. It's not supported.
Could somebody please explain me how do you play simultaneously on the Alexa Echo and Sonos one?
I have tried to put both devices in a group called "home" and asked Alexa to play a song in the group home, but it only plays on the Sonos speaker.

Thank you

Ok, just so I understand correctly:

If I buy a second Sonos One, I could pair both Sonos One speakers in the same room, and together call them "Family Room". That would be done in the Sonos app. After that, whenever tell Alexa to "play XXX in the Family Room", it would then play the music on both family room speakers?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: That's a slightly different situation. You're correct that pairing the two speakers together for a stereo pair is one Room in the Sonos app. That's different from grouping, as the two speakers will always play together as a stereo pair. Grouping is for speakers setup as rooms.

As far as the command goes, if you make the command to either of your Sonos One speakers in Family Room, you don't have to specify you want to play music in Family room. However, if you make the command to a different Alexa enabled device (an echo), you will have to 'target' your command and specify the device (or room) you want the audio to play on...otherwise it will play the music on the echo itself.
] Ok, thanks for sharing! If I were to buy more Sonos speakers in the future, could I control multiple Sonos speakers at once (via Alexa)?

Sort of. I'll have to explain a bit, maybe stuff you already know, to answer that question. When you have multiple rooms with sonos speakers in your setup, you can play the audio in sync by 'grouping' the speakers together, done within the Sonos app. You can't currently do grouping by Alexa voice control. However, if you first group room A with room B, and then request "Alexa, play music on room A " (or room 😎, the music will play in both rooms.

Sonos groups are adhoc. They aren't named or setup in advance they way Amazon allows you to group it's ehco speakers and devices.

Having preset/named groups within Sonos is also a feature that's commonly requested, both for use in the Sonos app and for making Alexa commands. Maybe some day...

Ok, just so I understand correctly:

If I buy a second Sonos One, I could pair both Sonos One speakers in the same room, and together call them "Family Room". That would be done in the Sonos app. After that, whenever tell Alexa to "play XXX in the Family Room", it would then play the music on both family room speakers?
] Ok, thanks for sharing! If I were to buy more Sonos speakers in the future, could I control multiple Sonos speakers at once (via Alexa)?

Sort of. I'll have to explain a bit, maybe stuff you already know, to answer that question. When you have multiple rooms with sonos speakers in your setup, you can play the audio in sync by 'grouping' the speakers together, done within the Sonos app. You can't currently do grouping by Alexa voice control. However, if you first group room A with room B, and then request "Alexa, play music on room A " (or room 😎, the music will play in both rooms.

Sonos groups are adhoc. They aren't named or setup in advance they way Amazon allows you to group it's ehco speakers and devices.

Having preset/named groups within Sonos is also a feature that's commonly requested, both for use in the Sonos app and for making Alexa commands. Maybe some day...
That's not currently supported unfortunately. It is commonly requested though. It's hard to say that such a feature would ever be added as both companies have their own multiroom protocols and have their own products they want to sell. Then again, airplay 2 will allow you to play music on a Sonos speaker and Apple Homepod in sync, so you never know... Ok, thanks for sharing! If I were to buy more Sonos speakers in the future, could I control multiple Sonos speakers at once (via Alexa)?
That's not currently supported unfortunately. It is commonly requested though. It's hard to say that such a feature would ever be added as both companies have their own multiroom protocols and have their own products they want to sell. Then again, airplay 2 will allow you to play music on a Sonos speaker and Apple Homepod in sync, so you never know...