Play:5 with Alexa

• 6 May 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge
Are there any clues that on 06.06.2018 a play:5 with Alexa support will be released?

I am planning to buy a play:5 and I am not sure if I should wait?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Play:5 already has Alexa support (requiring an Alexa device to control it).

If you mean the Alexa microphones actually inside the Play:5 ..... I wouldn't predict that. Since its already a Gen2 (with the actual better processor and memory that the newest have) I don't think we will see one with new microphones in it this year.

If you want a Play:5 I would feel good getting the current generation and pick up an Amazon dot if you want to voice control it.
Badge
Yes I mean with built in microphone

Play:1 also got a refresh with same speaker system after around 3 years with the sonos one - now Play:5 is 2,5 years old.

I expect a Play:3 update for sure but a Play:5 is in my opinion also an option.

Dont you think so?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Play:1 also got a refresh with same speaker system after around 3 years with the sonos one
Four years. In my opinion, an updated ‘3’ is a much more likely next (non home theatre) speaker.
The Play:1 has never had a refresh. The Sonos One is a different speaker with different components. It is not a Play:1 with voice control added.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well making it a Play:1 gen2

I think it’s olaybar gen 2 this year. Maybe play4 (play:3 gen 2) next year and some connect connect:amp gen2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This article points to either a Playbar or Playbase being next:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/possible-info-on-next-voice-controlled-sonos-player-6806772
Userlevel 1
Badge
If you mean the Alexa microphones actually inside the Play:5 ..... I wouldn't predict that.

I have a Play:5, and when I say "Alexa" near it, the volume on the speaker drops, assuming to listen to whatever I say next. I can say, "Alexa Stop" and the music will stop playing on the Play:5. However, it does not respond to "Alexa Resume" or "Alexa Play" after that. Also, I have some outdoor lighting, and I can say to the Play:5, "Alexa, turn the [lights] on" and they will turn on. However, turning those same lights off does not work, nor do most other commands.

I fully expect that in the very near future, full Alexa support via the Play:5 built-in microphone will be enabled. It seems they may have accidentally enabled some functionality already.
If you mean the Alexa microphones actually inside the Play:5 ..... I wouldn't predict that.

I have a Play:5, and when I say "Alexa" near it, the volume on the speaker drops, assuming to listen to whatever I say next. I can say, "Alexa Stop" and the music will stop playing on the Play:5. However, it does not respond to "Alexa Resume" or "Alexa Play" after that. Also, I have some outdoor lighting, and I can say to the Play:5, "Alexa, turn the [lights] on" and they will turn on. However, turning those same lights off does not work, nor do most other commands.

I fully expect that in the very near future, full Alexa support via the Play:5 built-in microphone will be enabled. It seems they may have accidentally enabled some functionality already.

No, the Play:5 microphones are not a far field array, so they cannot be used for Alexa. They aren't even enabled and thus cannot be listening to you. You must have an Echo nearby which is causing the volume drop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi selzhanik,

Jgatie is correct in that the microphone on the PLAY:5 is not a far field array, and that it shouldn't be responding to Alexa commands. Do you have an Echo nearby or connected to the line-in port on your PLAY:5?