Play 5 - Alexa Dot via LineIn - Ducking

• 7 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi there

I use my Alexa Dot using the Line In on my Play 5 because i want to hear Alexas Answers trough the Sonos speakers.
Sine the Alexa Skill beta, the ducking „feature“ is really annoying to me because i can‘t hear Alexas Answers anymore. Is there a way to turn the ducking feature off? If i disable the sonos skill it makes no differences.
Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
I agree. It is very annoying.
It would be nice to hear Alexa responses without line-in via the new sonos integration, why can't that be so?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
It would be nice to hear Alexa responses without line-in via the new sonos integration, why can't that be so?
The integration isn't working quite as you might think. Alexa is only a controller for the Sonos actions, so I don't expect you'll see that change. Meaning, Alexa never communicates "it's" audio stream to Sonos. It only directs Sonos to do things, same as with the app, for you. Who knows about the future though...

Therein is the reason for "ducking". To keep your interactions with Alexa from competing with the Sonos audio. I understand for people with multiple setups this can be annoying. With just two people in my household, it's working as the Sonos team must've hoped.
I get it, it would likely be a little bit too tight of an integration for Sonos liking if Alexa played through, never less, the customer should be able to use the hardware they bought as they'd like, their job should be to find a way to still leverage their services through Amazon, a true partnership. I'll pull the plug on the integration and use the Line-In as I've been doing for a couple years, it works pretty nicely. If you look at the alternative, if they can't get it right, they'll still just become "speakers" for other services if they find a way to get in the game with robust voice control.
I'm having the same trouble, couldn't the line in speaker sense the dot and disable the ducking feature on just that device?