Petition to Add Local Library Playback to Alexa/Sonos Voice Control

• 6 October 2017
  • 53 replies

Userlevel 3
Let's let Sonos know we would like this feature added. We've all spent years cultivating music we own, and we'd like to listen to it using the new voice control feature that Alexa has added. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
count me in !
Userlevel 1
Me too
Absolutely and please enable the shuffle feature via alexa for local playlists too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think you hardly need petition Sonos for this
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Surely the best solution would be to use the existing Plex integration to achieve this, I know not everyone would want to use Plex as a server for their local music files, but as Alexa/Sonos voice control must require suitable metadata/tags etc for it to work, then using the Plex music service which is already available within the Sonos app would make sense.
Yes please, this would be great. I would prefer to leverage on my own music collection, built over time and stored on my "always on" NAS. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Surprised this isn't there already. Exactly what you state is true, hundreds of albums on a big honkin' hard drive, and no access? Surprising.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Petition is a bit of a strong word!. I might be interested in a Sonos One to add to my system if home NAS and Deezer were supported at some point though.
Badge
I can’t believe that this option isn’t available! I’ve just purchased an Echo Dot as well! Really disappointed.
This should be there or it isn’t SONOS.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I can’t believe that this option isn’t available! I’ve just purchased an Echo Dot as well! Really disappointed.

Tell me about it, be careful as you might get accused of being a Debbie downer, this should have been there from The start
Absolutely. When I started on with my first sonos (ZP80) there was only local library playback. 4 Sonos Zones later it's still the major driver for me. Alexs support is only a nice gimmic without this.
What a silly thread. Who would be against it? I honestly cannot think of one person who wouldn't want this, and quite obviously Sonos is aware of the demand. They just haven't worked out how to do it yet, for it is far more complicated than online services. Just more melodramatic nonsense.

And by the way, basic playback controls of local library tracks is possible. As it is for any other services once the queue is started via the Sonos app. You just can't initiate play via Alexa, because there is no index listing in the cloud.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I do listen mostly to classical music.
More than half of my music library is not available on any streaming service.
Dear Sonos, PLEASE add local library to Alexa.
Note: Start a certain album would be enough for me.
Userlevel 1
I totally agree. Streaming my own library is essentially the main use of SONOS equipment, followed by streaming services for general non specific use. So, I add my voice for adding local library to Alexa. Thanks
Userlevel 2
I can only really use my local library due to poor local Internet due to rural area, poor speeds and ridiculous caps - I think this wouldn't be a huge step, since there's plenty of amateurs who have got this working, never mind a BILLION dollar giant company like SONOS
This function is needed. Very surprised it wasn't included.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
What a silly thread. Who would be against it? I honestly cannot think of one person who wouldn't want this, and quite obviously Sonos is aware of the demand. They just haven't worked out how to do it yet, for it is far more complicated than online services. Just more melodramatic nonsense.

And by the way, basic playback controls of local library tracks is possible. As it is for any other services once the queue is started via the Sonos app. You just can't initiate play via Alexa, because there is no index listing in the cloud.

Not melodramatic. Not being able to intiate search and playback form local is a serious flaw. Hobbyists worked out how to do it before sonos still haven't implemented it. I thought a select sonos user base was chosen to beta test it? Why was local
Library support not deemed IMPORTNAT?
Did I say it wasn't a flaw? Sonos knows this and knows it is important. Starting a "Ooooh, look at me! I'm calling out Sonos again, and again, and again . . . " on the premise of informing them how important it is, is not only not necessary, it is nothing but melodramatic nonsense.
Seriously! What's the point of having Alexa integration with sonos if it's only limited to music services that are integrated with Alexa.
What an over-hyped "upgrade".
If you can't control playback of your sonos library through Alexa, it's a complete wast of time.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Please include local library playback on sonos/alexa.......
You can control playback. Everything but initializing or adding to the queue. These functions will require a far more complicated scheme of loading a copy of your index in the Amazon Cloud.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I would also regard the ability to play music from my NAS using voice commands to be a huge plus.
Just bought an Echo and was very disappointed to find there is no local library commands.

I shpuld habe checked before i bought, i just assumed this would be a basic feature.

Hopefully they can include this for the full release aftwr BETA
I can only really use my local library due to poor local Internet due to rural area, poor speeds and ridiculous caps - I think this wouldn't be a huge step, since there's plenty of amateurs who have got this working, never mind a BILLION dollar giant company like SONOS

The integration methodology of the amateurs is rather different than the official Sonos/Alexa. Part of that is to allow for different features, and part (speculating) is for business reasons. The assumption that local library isn't too hard is not really a good one, despite how it may look from the outside, without considering all the details.

Seriously! What's the point of having Alexa integration with sonos if it's only limited to music services that are integrated with Alexa.
What an over-hyped "upgrade".
If you can't control playback of your sonos library through Alexa, it's a complete wast of time.

Actually, stats have been posted on the forums before that show the vast majority of users only use streaming services. That's not to say that those that use their local library's are irrelevant, but releasing the integration with streaming only is far from a waste of time. Particularly when the streaming services they hit are essentially "long hanging fruit" and people have been practically begging to get some form of voice control with Sonos.