Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Please add me to the list of people of who is genuinely disappointed with this. I love what Sonos has done overall, but not being able to pair the new Sonos One with existing Play 1s, to make a stereo sound is very disappointing. I own 5 Play 1s. Please address this Sonos!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ah. Sad face. Might not rush out and buy this one until that feature is released then. A stereo One & a Play:1 would make perfect sense if they were basically the same speakers inside. I can’t see any advantage of having two microphones speakers unless they were triangulating my exact position in the room – and that would be just plain creepy. :–)
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yeah, I'm dissapointed too with the lack of support in pairing with the old Play:1. I was up for preordering until I saw that it couldn't be used as a surround with the older player. My plan was to replace one of the surrounds in my setup with one and use that for the voice control, then I could use the Play:1 I had somewhere else. Pointless replacing them both as only need one of them in the room, and the spare player would end up in the bedroom, so pointless having the voice control upstairs for me to have to walk upstairs to ask it to change the music.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Really wish I had read this before I bought one of each to do this exact case
Userlevel 2
Add me to the list of people who would like to pair a Sonos One with a Play 1.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Not only that, but I think the case for a Play 1 paired with the Sonos One makes a lot of sense if the sound quality is on par. Why do you need two Alexa enabled devices to just get triggered together. It makes much more sense to have one with a mic and one as the secondary to just enhance the sound. Had been hoping to set up this configuration in two different rooms.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
No, at least not yet, this is a reply to the same question by Ryan. 'S
"The Sonos One will only pair with another Sonos One, for the purposes of creating a stereo pair or a surround sound setup. You can use a Sonos One in a household with any and all Sonos players. The Sonos One can issue commands to them all, and control what's playing. But if you're looking to made a stereo pair or surround sound setup, you'll need two Sonos Ones.

I'll make sure to pass on to the team that you're interested in seeing this at some point in the future, but there aren't any plans to share at this time that this might happen."
Userlevel 2
+1 dissapointed at this lack of functionality. Wont be buying a One unless this is changed. I'd expect this from Apple not Sonos. (I don't buy Apple products)

Lets face it, if this doesn't change it just a blatant attempt to squeeze money from existing customers who would have to replace existing speakers.
Userlevel 1
So I purchased a new Sonos one speaker just about 30 minutes ago on Amazon. Then I saw a comment on a Youtube review that this doesn't work with the existing Sonos one. That led me to do a Google search. A Google search for "using sonos one with play one" brought me to this thread. Long story short: I've cancelled the order.

A couple things:
- "Sonos One" and "Sonos Play 1" - the naming is confusing. Call it something entirely different. It's a different product and isn't backwards compatible, at least not yet. It's misleading because it makes it sound like I'm getting a better version of the existing product when in fact they're $200 non-compatible speakers.

- When you send this product to reviewers, have them explicitly call out it's not backwards compatible with existing Sonos one speaker. Also, call that out in your marketing videos on Youtube. MAKE IT OBVIOUS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. DO NOT MISLEAD THEM. Staying quiet about it is just as bad as if you lied to me and said it's backwards compatible. This isn't rocket science, folks.

The fact that you guys withhold that information means as a customer, you have lost my trust. I have one Sonos speaker that I was gifted recently. I liked it alot and was considering purchasing a play 5, one additional sonos one, and a sub. This was going to be over a $1K investment in your products. Because you're not transparent, now I don't trust you guys.

Customer lost. Have a great day.
I have a hard time believing this was done in order to push the customer towards buying a second Sonos One. The other reason could be that the Sonos One has improved sound quality, or the circuitry and such required to make it Alexa enabled makes it incompatible for pairing with a P:1.

I'm a little disappointed with this, but at the same time, I may be more inclined to pick up Sonos One if its an improvement on the P:1.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Because my surrounds are on completely different sides of the room to each other and one is on a stand in the coroner and you can barely see it, so them looking slightly different isn’t an issue. Already have a dot thanks, but I could use this in the dinning room where my play 5 is, to add voice control to that room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A Play:1 and Sonos One can be GROUPED together as two different zones playing the same content.

They cannot be PAIRED (or bonded) together as one zone in stereo (one speaker as the left, one as the right) or as part of a surround sound system with a Playbar or Playbase. Hopefully, with the number of requests for this over just the past couple of days (there are at least three or four topics about it around here so far), Sonos will figure out how to make it happen, but it's up to them to do it.

Added 5/5/2018 - UPDATE - there is a third-party iOS app called SonoSequencr that is capable of creating a stereo pair out of mismatched speakers, including the Sonos One and the Play:1. Mismatched speaker pairs are not recommended, as despite the visual similarities between these two speakers, there are significantly different audio "fingerprints" between them. That said, it can be done with this third-party app. The app is not free, however it's a very reasonable price if pairing these speakers is a priority for you.

I've heard that an Android app called Macronos can do the same, though I have no personal experience with this app so I can't vouch for what it can or can't do.
Userlevel 2
I would buy 5 Sonos Ones if I could pair it with my existing Play:1s in each bedroom. If not I'll save the change and get dots instead.
Userlevel 1
The main reason I bought the Sonos One was for the Alexa functionality AND to pair to with a Player 1. Please address this soonest. Seems like a complete waste. Who needs to Alexa's in the same bloody room.
Userlevel 1
Certainly not a shock that a Sonos One cannot be paired with a Play:1 and well in keeping with past practices (and with much the same complaints as those when the new gen Play:5 came out).

True, but in the One case nobody really needs 12 microphones in the same room. This is a new kind of device and should be paired regardless of the model. Sonos said Play:1 and One sound the same. The new version of Play:5 sounds better than the old one, this is the point of not making them pair. It's very hard to marry the aesthetic reasons given by the CEO. If they look similar and sound the same, let me decide the aesthetics of my own living room.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi... I did not read all 5 pages... But i was able to pair a Sonos One with a Play:1 with the iOS App SonoSequencr and all i tried after that worked for me. Alexa turns down the volume on both when talking, adjust the volume on both works and also using the official Sonos App to control that "strange" Steropair works. It is not my intention to promote the app. I just want to say that it is technically working (right now). Maybe with a future update this possibility will be canceled. Please be aware that you maybe get your system to a unsupported state with SonoSequencr because i do not make any limitations inside the app but this gives you a lot of more options what to do with your Sonos devices...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
HOLY COW IT WORKED. And Pink Floyd's Money sounds AWESOME with such a wide sound stage. I would imagine that it doesn't survive a reboot, though.

And yeah, it can also create a pair between a Sonos One and Play:5 (I have a Gen1 Play:5)... don't think I'd recommend such a pairing, but it's possible with this app.

Edit to add: After listening for a bit, if I turn the bass up, it's easy to tell that the Sonos One has a bit more "thump" to its low end over the Play:1... but I'm happy with the ability to create the pair, even if it's not official. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Come on Sonos! if MarcusP can make it happen, you can do it too. Show your customers you care.
Please add me to the list of users who wish to see some form of pairing between Play:1 and One.
Badge
+1 on wanting to pair a play:1 with my new ONE
Would love to see ONE and Play:1 stereo pair. Was shocked when I could not pair them. I bought one per room and can’t use. Why would I need 2 echos next to each other?
Userlevel 4
Badge
But I think the main question of whether granting the ability to pair them or not comes down to two things:
1. is the sound quality that much different
2. Does sonos want to make us buy new units
I'll be cancelling my order for two One's. I cant see the point of having two Alexa interfaces in one room. I wanted them in two and wanted to pair them with a Play1 on the lounge as part of a surround sound system (currently is a Playbar, Sub and two Play1's), and also create a stereo pair in the kitchen (currently consists of two Play1's) with another Play1.

I'd sooner keep the stereo sound in those rooms than have Alexa
Unfortunately, I recently bought two Play 1 as a surround pair. The next day I found out about Play One. I ordered 2 thinking that I could split the pair and have two Alexa enabled pairs in separate rooms. No dice as I found out today. It only makes sense to upgrade the software to allow this to happen. Please add me as someone who is requesting Play:1 and Play One ability to make a pair. Thanks:(
Adding my agreement to this topic for CEO Patrick Spence. I just read your tweat, and as someone who delightedly bought three Ones to pair in three of my rooms with the Sonos surround set ups without realizing that they cannot be swapped for one of my Play 1’s on a pair... Of course we would expect these to be able to pair with a Play 1 despite the slight difference in appearance! It is ridiculous to think anyone would want two Alexa devices in one room. It isn’t needed and as some who has had my Echos too close to each other, it confuses Alexa.
I am glad Sonos is integrating with Alexa, but Sono’s really needs to give those of us with existing Play 1 systems the ability to pair new Ones with our Play 1s. I was starting with 3 but I was going to pair with all of my Play 1’s in all my rooms. What, does Patrick Spence expect someone like me who has them in 8 rooms to throw out all of my Play 1’s and replace them all with One’s. That is insane. Give those if use with existing systems (mine all bought last year) the choice as to whether we care about the slight visual difference and the choice as to whether we would like to pair with our existing Play 1’s.
I already have Echos in all of my rooms, so the 3 One’s I just bought are going to be returned until they can pair with a Play 1.