Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Or actually read the thread to find out you can easily pair unlike models with an inexpensive third party app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea I don't get why people KEEP COMPLAINING about something that IS NOT A PROBLEM.

Can Sonos just lock this thread and put at bottom the instructions for Sonosequencr.....its absolutely ridiculous to keep hearing people complain about something that isn't even a problem.
Badge
I came here looking for the answer to this question and it certainly has been discussed/explored thoroughly, with all of the conspiracy theories notwithstanding. I don't really understand why I'd want two Alexa-enabled devices in such close proximity. I don't know of a definitive statement from Sonos as regards what we should expect in improved audio quality from Sonos One as it relates to the older Play 1's. If the nature of the sound isn't compatible then I definitely am ok with not being able to pair them. I guess I'll just modify my deployment plan for the Sonos One and move my Echo into the bedroom to run my Play 1 pair, and put the One where the other Echo was. Crisis averted, world safe, price of tea in China unchanged.

Some clarity from Sonos would have been nice on this content but they're not exactly known for being forthcoming with functionality information.
Personally, I would guess the inability to pair has something to do with the coming Airplay 2 implementation. Since the One can decode Airplay 2 signals and the Play:1 cannot, this may be the deal breaker when it comes to using them in a stereo pair. Just a semi-educated guess. I imagine we will find out the truth when/if the SonoSequencr paired units fail to work with Airplay 2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Pairing a Sonos One in general with a non-airplay would definately seem to have consequences (does it make pair able or does it make our unable). Good question. It may be as you say in that pairing a Sonos One with non-capable mau mean no airplay for that pairing.
Pairing a Sonos One in general with a non-airplay would definately seem to have consequences (does it make pair able or does it make our unable). Good question. It may be as you say in that pairing a Sonos One with non-capable mau mean no airplay for that pairing.

Then queue the "But I don't care about Airplay 2, I should be able to pair them!" complaints. But we all know Sonos doesn't work that way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exactly. They value consistence across platform. Can’t blame them. And then users have workaround in case they don’t care for the uniformity.
Badge
A couple answers I've heard are that the Sonos One and the Play 1: don't look exactly alike, and that the Sonos One represents an advance in audio quality that wouldn't pair well with the prior generation. After having purchased and heard the thing in my home, neither of these arguments hold much water. Yeah, the super audio aficionado might notice the difference, but honestly, if you're that picky about your sound, you're not buying Sonos anyway. Second, they don't look tremendously different and speakers are supposed to be for listening to, not looking at, right?

So the net is, to get the stereo pairing (which does make a huge difference in the enjoyment of Sonos, or any stereo system for that matter), you have to pair two Alexa enabled devices. Why do I need two Alexa capable devices sitting virtually side by side? Makes zero sense to me. But it is what it is.

After owning a paired set of Play 1:'s, which are perfectly adequate speakers, my enthusiasm for Sonos for the rest of my home has certainly dissipated. Wireless, network compatible speakers are the wave of the future and Sonos' self-impression had better change, or the quality of their product had better markedly improve, or that wave is going to swamp their boat.
A couple answers I've heard are that the Sonos One and the Play 1: don't look exactly alike, and that the Sonos One represents an advance in audio quality that wouldn't pair well with the prior generation. After having purchased and heard the thing in my home, neither of these arguments hold much water. Yeah, the super audio aficionado might notice the difference, but honestly, if you're that picky about your sound, you're not buying Sonos anyway. Second, they don't look tremendously different and speakers are supposed to be for listening to, not looking at, right?

So the net is, to get the stereo pairing (which does make a huge difference in the enjoyment of Sonos, or any stereo system for that matter), you have to pair two Alexa enabled devices. Why do I need two Alexa capable devices sitting virtually side by side? Makes zero sense to me. But it is what it is.

After owning a paired set of Play 1:'s, which are perfectly adequate speakers, my enthusiasm for Sonos for the rest of my home has certainly dissipated. Wireless, network compatible speakers are the wave of the future and Sonos' self-impression had better change, or the quality of their product had better markedly improve, or that wave is going to swamp their boat.

Well, you forgot about the airplay 2 possible reason. There are also possible future enhancement reasons that no one knows about (maybe if Sonos yet). I imagine they considered the possible/probable future of their mix of play:1/sonos one setup suddenly not working due to an update and how customers would be very upset about it. Was it better to just never allow it so that you are put in a situation where you have to eventually take it away? I think so.

As far as not needed 2 alexa devices in the same room, I'm sure the pairing requirement wasn't done so that you could have 2 alexa devices. What was the alternative? if the play:1 isn't future proof enough (or whatever) to pair with the Sonos One, then the only alternative would be to create a Sonos One w/o mic built in. That would be another devices to develop and support. Customers would expect that to be a little cheaper and may up to pay a little more for the mic version anyway. So that new product wouldn't sell as well, would cost to produce, and probably have a lower profit margin. It also probably would cause some confusion with customers buying the wrong version or not knowing what to get. So in the end, would it really be worth to create an non-mic version, rather just let customers know they can turn off the mic if they don't want to use it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you disagree with Sonos stance then do somethjng about it and pair as you want. Serious non issue.
I think it is obvious by now that the determining factor as to whether they can be paired is Airplay 2 support. There is absolutely no reason for Sonos to break precedent and allow one to pair two unlike models, only to disable that ability later due to incompatible support of Airplay 2.
Since the thread is not locked, I'm just gonna go ahead and reply.
Now that Airplay 2 is out, people may be wondering if the Sonos One + Sonos Play:1 supports Airplay 2. It does! Just paired my new One and my Play:1 using SonoSequencr (One on the left as it says in the App) and it works almost flawlessly. "Almost" because I experienced a little bit of stuttering for a few seconds occasionally (two times during about 4 or 5 songs), but I think either the music service, my phone or Airplay is to blame.
Badge
Hi,

I am going to try the Sonosequencr app to stereo pair a Play:1 and a Sonos One but have one question.

Do I just need to pair it once in the Sonosequncr app and then it is paired for good? Can I then use the paired speakers via the Sonos App or Spotify App as normal or do I need to go through the pairing process each time I want to play something? Or can I only use the paired speaker through the Sonosequencr app?
It works just like a regular stereo pair. It also survived a reboot of the play:1, so I‘m confident it survives a full reboot, as well
I haven't read all 15 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has been answered. I currently have a playbar with two play:1 as surround. I'd be interested in swapping one of the Play:1 for a Play one using the sonosequencer method.

Does anybody know if i'll be able to use features such as airplay 2 for the entire room using this workaround? Alternatively, I was thinking about swapping the playbar for a beam and using the play:1 as surround.
Badge
I don't own an iphone. How am I supposed to use the "magic" SonoSequencr app to pair my Sonos One and my Play:1? C'mon sonos, they are the same gear...
Borrow an iPhone. And they are not the same gear. The processor in the One is twice as powerful as the Play:1, there is more memory in the One, and every piece of hardware except the plug assembly are different.
Badge
Borrow an iPhone.

anyone with a real solution and not a temporary workaround?
Borrow an iPhone.

anyone with a real solution and not a temporary workaround?

What is temporary about it? Do it once and it stays paired permanently.
Badge
mmm so can I access and manage the "couple" via standard android app once paired? What kind of sorcery is this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
mmm so can I access and manage the "couple" via standard android app once paired? What kind of sorcery is this?

Creating a stereo pair between a Play:1 and Sonos one is not supported by the Sonos app. The reasons for this can be found in this thread. There is a third party smartphone app, not made by Sonos, which forces a pair.

That said, you can group together a Sonos One and a Play:1 to play in unison, but doing so does not separate out the left and right channels.
Badge
Understood. But now my question is: once I paired them thru unofficial app can I see them as "legit" pair in the sonos app or do I need to use the unofficial app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - once you pair them in Sonoseqencr the regular Sonos app sees them as a normal paired zone. No difference between this pairing and one you could do in Sonos app.
Badge
thanks to all of you... I'm going to find some iDevice to do the sorcery
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do some trueplay tuning while you have it.