Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Another disgruntled customer I bought a play bar and a play one and go given a one. I was hoping To do a 5:0 setup with to at the back and playbar at the front.

I have the aequencer app which is great but I can’t understand how to add the playbar to the mix. The stereo sound is great.
Set up and tested the 5.1 system with PlayBar + Sub + Play:1 + One, and it works perfectly!

How did you do it I can’t see the function to do it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is a seperate option in sonosequencr
I just bought Sonos One to add sound to my Sonos 1/understood these paired/advertising less than clear that speakers only paired if identical models and not Sonos/frustrated entire reason for buying Sonos One-two microphone speakers same room redundant
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why are you frustrated just pair them with sonosequencr and do as you want.
It is a seperate option in sonosequencr

I can’t seem to find that option in Sonosequencr. I can create a stereo pair from my One and Play:1 but not a surround setup with my Playbar and those two. Could you explain how to do it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't see the option either and his release notes don't say anything about him temporarily removing. I would message the developer - he is very good about getting back to you.
Badge
Had to come online to find my answer ... And the above is what I was looking for . 😞
No wonder I can’t connect my new One with my play 1 .. Very disappointed, Sonos !
I have two set ups . Playbar sub and play 1 downstairs and upstairs..
To find out I can’t just swap my play 1 for a one is pretty pathetic!! Why ? It doesn’t make sense ..
I’ll be returning the one ASAP .. Very disappointed ?
add me to the list of disappointed customers! surely, even if the quality has been improved, surely it can't be by that much? regardless, this should definitely an option - why would anyone need two Alexa integrated speakers in the same room (in order to create the stereo sound).
not a chance i'll buy this until it's sorted. i think i'll just get the dot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why? Why don’t you just use sonosequencr. That is and will be the way to go. This is not a prOblem.
@Chris, I'm unfamiliar with this? Does this mean that a Play 1 and the Sonos One can be connected to provide stereo sound (both for music and then to pair with my Playbar to provide surround sound, in the same way as 2 Play 1's)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Chris, I'm unfamiliar with this? Does this mean that a Play 1 and the Sonos One can be connected to provide stereo sound (both for music and then to pair with my Playbar to provide surround sound, in the same way as 2 Play 1's)?
Perhaps read a thread before posting in it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes read the last few pages of this thread and let us know if any questions.
OMG I just got home from Best Buy with a playbase, a play, and a play1 and I am beyond pissed I can’t set this up. I didn’t want two Alexa’s listening and answering. Wife is out and I’m home with baby and can’t go back to the store. The fact I can’t pair one of each is mind blowing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why would you be so mad being you didn’t buy the same speaker. Your supposed to be able to pair surround with sonosequencr as well but I could t find the option when I looked. You could so developer as he is good about returning messages.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Someone in the Sonos shop is making some truly boneheaded product management decisions. Sonos played Audible files in the beginning so I bought 5. Then Sonos stopped playing Audible files and I was stuck with only partially functional speakers for over 2 years. Sonos introduced the One, touting their Alexa integration, but only to play music files: still no Audible, no drop in feature, no calling no grouping,.... Finally, Sonos supports Audible, again and offers me a deal, so I buy 2 more Ones to pair wih my existing speskers. Surprise! Sonos One and Play:1 can't pair! Pairing two Sonos speakers creates a very nice stereo sound stage; grouping is nice, but not as nice as a stereo pair. C'mon, Sonos! You are smart people; figure this out. Conspiracy, of course not! Technical challenges, sure, but those can be met, even figuring out how to balance sound effectively across hardware platforms. Please, please hire a product manager who understands how people use your products and listen! Short of that, offer us a trade-in of our now incompatible Play:x units... or watch them hit eBay at prices that reflect their significantly reduced value and Sonos's dwindling position in the market... where's that Yamaha add...?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They are 2 different speakers - but you can permanently pair them with Sonoseqencr (end of issue).
Thank you Chris. You are a patient man, let me tell you.

I’m going to give this a try, I’m sure it will work. Many thanks for your support and your research.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I also found out how to pair them as mixed pair in 5.1 with playbar if anyone needs to know.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Jezus Christ, all those people wanting to pair two different speakers. Would their be any serious speaker vendor allowing you to do such a thing ? As Chris stated about every half an hour the past weeks there is Sonoseqencr to do that. So there is a working solution. That being said, I would never want to pair a Play One and a Play:1. Sonos will never allow you to pair different speakers. Not now, not in the future. Funny thing, on the Bose forum people are also complaining about stereo pairing (which only exists on a Soundtouch 10 I think), and stating they will step over to Sonos. On a Sonos you can stereo pair anything that makes sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Jezus Christ, all those people wanting to pair two different speakers. Would their be any serious speaker vendor allowing you to do such a thing ? As Chris stated about every half an hour the past weeks there is Sonoseqencr to do that. So there is a working solution. That being said, I would never want to pair a Play One and a Play:1. Sonos will never allow you to pair different speakers. Not now, not in the future. Funny thing, on the Bose forum people are also complaining about stereo pairing (which only exists on a Soundtouch 10 I think), and stating they will step over to Sonos. On a Sonos you can stereo pair anything that makes sense.So you have heard both and think the sound signature is too different to allow pairing? Could differentiate in a blind test too? Personally, I doubt it - especially if they could have Trueplay run too.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
[/quote]So you have heard both and think the sound signature is too different to allow pairing? Could differentiate in a blind test too? Personally, I doubt it - especially if they could have Trueplay run too.[/quote]
I've heard both and I cannot differentiate in a blind test. Some people say they do, but I can't hear it. To me, they sound exactly the same. The sound signature is irelevant though. Except for the power cord and the base there is not one component of the Play:1 that also exists in the Play One. They are technically completely different speakers. I have no means to check that, but I can believe it as the play:1 is half a decade older than the play one. It would be silly to create a dependancy between a brand new speaker and a much older speaker even if they do sound the same. People or blinded by the fact those 2 speakers look the same. If the play one looked like a play:3 no one would have tried to pair it with a play:1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
There's so many mistakes there I shan't bother.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I haven’t tested one vs the other. But as stated. Internally and by name they are two different speakers. They even lookk different on exterior which should be my biggest issue stereo pairing them. (They actually match the play:1 TONE model)

If you want to though there is workaround. But as others said I don’t know why people would assume you could.

Ps. Work around works for a play:5 gen 1 paired with play:5 gen 2. Not again that makes much sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
But as others said I don’t know why people would assume you could.
Ps. Work around works for a play:5 gen 1 paired with play:5 gen 2. Not again that makes much sense.
Rightly or wrongly, people would assume they could pair them because they look almost identical, are named almost the same and sound almost the same - if not indistinguishable, to each other.
I agree pairing completely different speakers is wrong - but I don't extend that 'logic' to these two speakers. However different they may be internally, the key in any speaker pairing is how they sound. To say it's wrong or question why anyone would want to do it, or why Sonos would even allow it - and then say they sound exactly the same and that the sound signature is irrelevant misses the point of the request somewhat..