Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

seriously Sonos, looking back through previous messages about this issue, it looks like you have a serious image problem here, I thought we paid premium for premium features,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
so your saying no answer as to why you just don't pair them with sonosequencr your just here to complain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The option is there, even if it doesn't come from Sonos itself. If it's really killing you to not be able to pair the two speakers with Sonos' app, pay the small cost for SonoSequencr and make it happen. Create two actions in SonoSequencr, one to create the pair, one to undo it... it's a tap away either way. At this time, Sonos doesn't appear to have any interest in making it happen. Will they in the future? Who knows. But that could be months away, if ever. A solution is available now. Use it if you absolutely can't live without this capability.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
SonoSequencr doesn’t (yet) allow to pair as LR rears in a 5.1 setup which is what a lot of people want.
@Chris. re using Sonoseqencr. I don't have any Apple devices. Is that availabl on Android? or even Windows pc?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is apple only as far as I know. But you only have to use it once to make the pairing - so you could just have a friend with an iPhone come by and run it from his phone. or maybe find some old iPhone 4/5 or something a friend has lying around in a drawer they will let you have.
Add me as another who wants this. Really don’t see the value of two Alexa’s next to each other....:?:?:?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
....ok so again. Pair them all you want.
I'm sorry but I can't get over people asking the same question a hundred times and disregarding the answer or solution to their problem. Maybe paying a $1.99 for an application to solve their problem of pairing their different model Sonos speakers is asking too much. If a person reads this whole post they could have downloaded the app. and paired their speakers instead of the non stop complaining.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exactly
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
New sonosequencr release now added ability to add mixes in playbar 5.1 System
Set up and tested the 5.1 system with PlayBar + Sub + Play:1 + One, and it works perfectly!
Yes you can sync Sonos one and player1 but that would be like having two radios tuned to the same station, what you get is parallel sound. When you pair speakers you get integrated sound. I have just invested in a Sonos one and a Sonos player 1 for my ensuite bedroom, I have the Sonos one in my bedroom and the player 1 in the bathroom. As has been said why would you want 2 alexa in the same space, I’ve used the sonosequencr app to pair my units, the difference between synced and paired sound is like night and day, I now spend too much time in my bedroom. Guess I’ll have to invest in more Sonos speakers.?
Yes you can sync Sonos one and player1 but that would be like having two radios tuned to the same station, what you get is parallel sound. When you pair speakers you get integrated sound. I have just invested in a Sonos one and a Sonos player 1 for my ensuite bedroom, I have the Sonos one in my bedroom and the player 1 in the bathroom. As has been said why would you want 2 alexa in the same space, I’ve used the sonosequencr app to pair my units, the difference between synced and paired sound is like night and day, I now spend too much time in my bedroom. Guess I’ll have to invest in more Sonos speakers.?

So what you're saying is that Sonosequencr App pairing is better than the stereo synced from Sonos app? I have both One and PLay:1 and planning to get the Playbar or Playbase if the App really works. Please Enlighten me, I am kinda lost.
Userlevel 2
Badge

So what you're saying is that Sonosequencr App pairing is better than the stereo synced from Sonos app? I have both One and PLay:1 and planning to get the Playbar or Playbase if the App really works. Please Enlighten me, I am kinda lost.

The Sonos app does not "Stereo" synced the play1 and Sonos one. What it does is Sync them so that both are outputting same audio. The Left is playing the same as right speaker. (Mono sound)
The Sonosequencer app is different. It has the ability to Stereo pair. The the left speaker and right speaker are outputting different sounds. Actual stereo sound. Much Much better experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Sonos app can only group the Play:1 and Sonos One speakers together. It can only pair speakers of the same model together (i.e. 2 x Play:1 or 2 x Sonos One).

SonoSequencr can create a stereo pair of two different speaker models, so that one speaker is the left and one is the right, but the two speakers function as one zone.
I was skeptical, but they're right. If you have an iOS device which you can use, SonoSequencr will create the stereo pair for a Play:1 and Sonos One in the same room. Not the most intuitive of interfaces. But poking around I stumbled across the command to initiate the setup. Download to nice stereo pairing was maybe ten minutes.
Still not quite sure why Sonos is so opposed to allowing this directly from the Sonos app as a conscious decision. But whatever.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea sonosequencr could use some instructions takes a bit to figure out how you create the macros. But pretty powerful once you get it.
I was skeptical, but they're right. If you have an iOS device which you can use, SonoSequencr will create the stereo pair for a Play:1 and Sonos One in the same room. Not the most intuitive of interfaces. But poking around I stumbled across the command to initiate the setup. Download to nice stereo pairing was maybe ten minutes.
Still not quite sure why Sonos is so opposed to allowing this directly from the Sonos app as a conscious decision. But whatever.

Yeah it takes a bit of learning, For me I just try to copy someone’s screenshot from redit and now my Play:1 and One always playing in stereo mode. The weird thing is now only my Play:1 showing in Spotify devices. But everytime I click it always play in stereo mode 🙂 Now I am thinking to get the Playbase! Is 5.1 Surround Sonos worth to get?
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing Sonos has done. Pair old and new Sonos 1 as a stereo pair.
I am waiting for sonos one to pair with play one. At the moment I have split the two sonos ones in different rooms and grouped with a play one. As far as I can hear there is no difference in sound quality. It would be great to hear them as a stero setup. I would have thought it was only a matter of writing some update software to download. Can’t understand why it’s taking so long. If they group easily, they should pair easily. Maybe it’s a problem with the addition of Alexa. She would reply then on two speakers rather than just the Sonos one. Come on Sonos, give your customers what they want. It looks as if you’re missing a marketing opportunity here for new and existing customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This is a dead horse. Sonos says they are different and won’t allow to pair in the app. If you disagree with Sonos then download sonosequencr and force pair them. Thats the end of the story.
Hi, Thanks for your advice. Is there anywhere a possible printout of 'How to Do' instructions? Once this is done, can the speakers be reverted back to the original factory default, should I wish to reconfigure the house setups or add to the network in the future?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is nothing stopping you from unpairing them or reseting later.

Open sonosequencr

Hit plus button on top right

Give macro a name and pick both options to show macro

Hit the plus button to right of the show widget selection

Pick create stereo pair from list (hit title not ?)

In the top section pick the left speaker (this should be the Sonos One). In the bottom section pick the right speaker. Hit the apply button.

Hit save and return to macro list. Hit save again return to main screen.

You will see your pairing macro. Click on it to run.

Done
Just done what you have helped me with and I'm really pleased with the result. Thank you so much. This app I guess will make the author very rich. Can't understand why Sonos have ignored this opportunity. Anyhow thanks again.