Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonosequencer. Confirmed to pair them.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Also a disappointed customer here:(
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Undisappoint yourself. Pair with sonosequencer. It is a perfectly fine work around
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It works great... I've used it to create a Sonos One/Play:1 stereo pair in my bedroom. The small price of the SonoSequencr app is worth it to get around this unfortunate limitation Sonos seems to not want to remove.
Badge +1
Such a shame that i cant pair a play 1 with a Sonos 1. Sonos just missed out on £400 from me for this reason.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ummm. Wasn’t the point of answers that you can
Userlevel 1
I'm getting confused. Sonos on twitter on this issue: "Sonos products only pair with like devices, e.g. Sonos One + Sonos One. You cannot pair a Sonos One with a PLAY:1" (14 october) . So, it can't be done.

But on december 28 Sonos wrote: "We did look into implementing but after much testing we found that it wasn't giving the experience we are looking to give with our products so we have not implemented the stereo pair feature between the PLAY:1 and Sonos One." So, it can be done but they didn't like the experience (whatever that means).

In the meantime the app sonosequencer can make it happen. I tried, it works, it sounds great. Still pairing in a 5.1 setup is not avaible. Please Sonos, put both options in your app. And if you can't figure it out how, ask Marcus Pleintinger to do it for you or offer him a job.
I’ve just got the Sonosequencr app but can’t see how you can pair a One with a Play:One; the Sterio Pair section says that it will only pair speakers that are designed to be paired
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I’ve just got the Sonosequencr app but can’t see how you can pair a One with a Play:One; the Sterio Pair section says that it will only pair speakers that are designed to be paired

Choose the ‘create stereo pair’ command and, despite the explanation, you can choose any 2 unmatched speakers you like !
After reading these comments, it is such a shame that you cannot "stereo pair" a SONOS one and a PLAY1 together. Meaning you are required to buy 2 x SONOS ones.
I currently own 2 x PLAY1 & have them paired together as a left and right speaker in my kitchen.
i was hoping to buy a SONOS one in the kitchen as the left speaker and use my play-1 as the right speaker. - I obviously cant. which is disappointing.

is a stereo pair of speakers classed as a group? or is a group only when 2 independent speakers play, but under a named group?
i currently have a stero left & right pair of SONOS PLAY1s in my kitchen and they are under a group called "kitchen"

I also read on sonos 1: "Volume commands will only affect the player the command is directed to. If the player is grouped, the group volume will not be adjusted. "

Does this mean that if i bought 2 x sonos 1s & they are linked as a "stereo pair" under "kitchen", will it turn both of them down? (assuming you can stereo pair 2 x sonos 1's). or will it only turn down the 1 that picked up the command?

or does this mean that if you have 2 independent SONOS ones's that are grouped together in 1 room (not in stereo), it will only turn 1 speaker down.

i dont really understand why you would want 2 SONOS ones, both with the command function in 1 room, and why you cant link a SONOS 1 & PLAY1.

Choose the ‘create stereo pair’ command and, despite the explanation, you can choose any 2 unmatched speakers you like !

Does this mean then that using this app, you can pair a one and play1 together, then when you command for the volume to be adjusted, it will turn them both down because they are stereo paired and not group paired?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yes
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes. I've actually created two actions within the app, one for creating the pair, one for unpairing. It makes it quick and easy, in the event I have an issue and Sonos wants me to undo the pair and see if the problem persists.
I went out and bought two Sono's one's one for the home and one for our office (where we have a sonos 1 play...pretty disappointed with the SONOS One and the complete lack of functionality with Alexa, it's pretty much a pointless service at the moment, it cant even do basic reminders...disappointing, ill be sending my £350's worth back.
Or you can get the Sonosequencer app, which allows you to force pair any Sonos units.
Why do you have to force pair anything, it's insane to think you spend £180 on a speaker that cant connect with other devices related to the same brand that are pretty much identical technology...someone simply releases an app to force it, it should be right out of the box
You can connect it. It is perfectly compatible with all other Sonos devices. You can connect it, group it, play it individually, anything you can do with any other Sonos device. But it will only pair with itself as a stereo pair or surrounds. This is no different than the Play:1, the Play:3, or both versions of the Play:5.
Please also add me to the list of dissapointed users because of this reason. Thanks.
Seriously annoyed by this. As it looks like a 1 and plays similarly this should be stated very clearly in all copy and on the box. Major fail Sonos.
Seems SONOS is taking some much crap over this release, talk about getting things wrong. They need to buck up their ideas. After such a successful set of hardware, i've lost quite a bit of trust in SONOS 😞
This is really poor. I brought my BF a One for Xmas, as we are moving in together and I already have a 1 and a Playbar. We were so disappointed to discover we can not pair the units for surround sound. If it’s a sales strategy then you’ve lost my vote. I love my Sonos gear and I can’t believe that this simple function has not been enabled. This really needs attention quickly.
This is really poor. I brought my BF a One for Xmas, as we are moving in together and I already have a 1 and a Playbar. We were so disappointed to discover we can not pair the units for surround sound. If it’s a sales strategy then you’ve lost my vote. I love my Sonos gear and I can’t believe that this simple function has not been enabled. This really needs attention quickly.

Yep, agree totally. I have so much faith in the SONOS brand so this is really disappointing
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
+1 to the disappointed list on this (though I was aware and didn't purchase the Sonos One solely for this purpose). To those suggesting the Sonos One and Play:1 are different, one need only look at the technical specs for the two products to see that they are virtually identical in both physical and functional terms, the notable exception being the addition of the microphone array and controls to support Alexa.

Play:1: https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/play1.html#specs
Sonos One: https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/one.html#specs

I accept that the links above don't give detailed technical data on the internals of each, but you can certainly see where many would reach the conclusion that they're the same bar Alexa. Also agree that they look 'slightly' different, but not so different that having a mis-matched pair on opposite sides of a room would even be noticed by the vast majority of people.

I also fail to see the point in buying two Sonos One's (ie. having two devices in the same room both Alexa-enabled). At best, it's a waste of an extra £50 buying a second Sonos One rather than a Play:1. In my experience two Alexa devices in the same room is more hassle than it's worth... despite the supposed 'ESP' function they frequently get things confused.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why do people keep complaining when it can be done - just use the Sonosequencer app. It's not that big a deal. We are talking about $1.99 and access one time to an ios device. It takes more time to complain about the pairing here then to just pair them via the work around.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Why do people keep complaining when it can be done - just use the Sonosequencer app. It's not that big a deal.

Because I personally don't feel I should need to buy an app (/apply a hack) - however cheap - to get functionality this basic. Great that it exists, but it's also entirely possible that Sonos will find a way to kill this down the line, meaning you've bought an app that's useless and you're no better off. To put it another way, I'd prefer official support.

Also, without having researched in depth, is there any other drawback to using the app?