Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

I have purchased both in the last week. I now realise they cannot be played in stereo as they are not alike. Although they are alike. Size and look suggested that the Sonos One basically is a Play 1 with Alexa on top. Why would you want 2 Alexa devices in the same room to access stereo. It makes no sense? It also makes my purchase totally redundant.
You can use the app called SonoSequencr to pair a One with a 1. Works perfectly.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
No chance of this working to add a Sonos One (along with a Play:1) into a 5.1 setup?

Not yet but i just made a quick test and i was able to configure a Sonos One and a Play:1 as surround speakers to my Playbar. I just think about how to make this available in my app...

Hi Markus - any further progress on this yet ?

Sorry not yet finished... Still working on that.
Userlevel 1
Come on Sonos! if MarcusP can make it happen, you can do it too. Show your customers you care.
I also thought (wrongly) that these two devices would support stereo pairing, It is a shame as the stereo sounds fantastic through two play ones....
Userlevel 1
I was wondering: does Sonos officially has a statement on this issue?
Boo-urns. This is crap. Why would you need 2 microphone speakers in the same room? I expect that eventually, Sonos will re-launch all of their products with microphones in them, but I'm not going to re-buy all my speakers. I'm hoping that they come out with some kind of microphone you can plug in to all existing speakers, and maybe while they're at it they can throw in a line in and bluetooth chip to really make things work best.
At any rate, I don't expect to get much out of the "smart" speakers until Google Assistant is available and can do more than start, stop or adjust volume.
Johnnie Walker wrote:
No, at least not yet, this is a reply to the same question by Ryan. 'S
"The Sonos One will only pair with another Sonos One, for the purposes of creating a stereo pair or a surround sound setup. You can use a Sonos One in a household with any and all Sonos players. The Sonos One can issue commands to them all, and control what's playing. But if you're looking to made a stereo pair or surround sound setup, you'll need two Sonos Ones.

I'll make sure to pass on to the team that you're interested in seeing this at some point in the future, but there aren't any plans to share at this time that this might happen."

Join me to the list of people who would like to pair Sonos One with a Play 1. Apparently they aren’t to much different.
Best
Badge +3
I don't see why anyone would want to 'pair' a Play:1 with the Sonos One. They look totally different. This for me would be a no (perhaps many others as well). If wanting to add the new feature, just get an Amazon Dot. That would be a lot less expensive.

They do not look totally different they have exactly the same form and dimensions. They are slightly different.
They should pair together. Period.

They do not look totally different they have exactly the same form and dimensions. They are slightly different.
They should pair together. Period.

Looks can be deceiving. They are completely different hardware-wise, except for two components - the base and the power cord attachment. Bottom line, they are two different models, and Sonos has never allowed the pairing of two different models. Nothing new here, and if they did allow pairing, it would be an anomaly.
Question: Is the Sonos 1 just the same interior to the Sonos 1 Play albeit with Alexa capabilities. Do we expect any kind of discount bearing in mind its Christmas and lots of agitated Sonos Play owners who cannot now upgrade their systems to Alexa without buying the Play? What about 25% off if you buy 2? that would be reasonable and provide some slight reprieve for us consumers. Anyway, looking forward to owning one, one day (considering whether I take back my unopened Bose QC15s or Nintendo SNES Classic or unopened Special Edition Radiohead OK COmputer Vinyl) and buy a Sonos 1 instead..decisions, decisions!!!
Question: Is the Sonos 1 just the same interior to the Sonos 1 Play albeit with Alexa capabilities.

No, the hardware inside is completely different. The only shared components are the base and the power cord connector.

Do we expect any kind of discount bearing in mind its Christmas and lots of agitated Sonos Play owners who cannot now upgrade their systems to Alexa without buying the Play? What about 25% off if you buy 2? that would be reasonable and provide some slight reprieve for us consumers.

The Play:1 is already discounted for the holidays. The Sonos One is the Alexa enabled Sonos speaker, and it is not necessary to buy the Sonos One to "upgrade their systems to Alexa". You can buy any lelxa device, like the $29.99 Echo Dot, and your entire Sonos system can be controlled by that device.
That's great - I was just reading some other comments from those who'd recently bought play ones (some guy bought 4-6) and now is complaining about having to upgrade so soon. Anyway, that's life. In the UK the dot retails for £49.99 (that's $66); the Sonos Play £149 ($199), Sonos 1 £199 ($265) so asking for a discount is reasonable, as it wasn't discounted when other sonos speakers were on amazon. A multi-buy offer would not be putting Sonos out much (25% as suggested) and Amazon are offering "buy in bulk" offers for their own Dots, echos, echo plus's.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hello, i am searching for beta testers for configuring a Sonos:One and a Play:1 as surround speaker on a Playbase. I have a Playbar but i am not sure if it works the same way on a Playbase. So if anyone has a Playbase and a One and would like to configure his Play:1 and Sonos:One as surround speakers please open a support ticket with SonoSequencr.
Thanks for your help...
At JGatie. Are you sure about the hardware differencez? What are your credentials? The Engadget website says the following:

The Sonos One uses the same audio components and speakers as those found in the Play:1, but the internal layout had to be completely redesigned in order to fit the microphones. But Sonos was able to make the necessary changes without affecting the size or weight of the One -- these specs remain unchanged from the Play:1.

Webpage here:

www.engadget.com/amp/2017/10/18/sonos-one-review/

So...is the hardware totally different S you have specified? Ia it any better or different or we juat paying more for a bit of alexa? Has anyone done a sound comparison with the play and the one? Just curious and dont want flybynight comments. Cheers
Sonos has officially stated they are different hardware except where I noted, and I've personally seen through the grills of both and it is quite obvious the drivers are different. There are also several articles stating there is a sonic difference. Not a huge difference, but different.
Add another unhappy customer to the list here...had a Play 1 in the bedroom with an echo dot and when I heard they came out with the Sonos One with Alexa it sounded like a great opportunity to replace the dot and do surround...so I purchased a One and Playbase and as I sit here now not finding an option to add one each for the surround setup and arriving at this string I’m flabbergasted.

Will be boxing back up the Playbase and One for return processing. Advertising was misleading with all indications that the One is like your Play 1 with Alexa...should have made it more clear that they don’t pair and clearly I’m not the only one that expected the functionality.
I think you guys are being unreasonable. What other piece of technology can you use from 2004 with full functionality in 2017? Sonos have never allowed the pairing of different models. The Sonos One is a different model, even if it looks the same. I would love it if they would allow it, but why not allow the Play 5 and Play 3 to also create stereo pairs with the Sonos One in that case? I think we are targeting a company that has demonstrated a remarkable and unique desire to extend the life of 10+ year old products. Apple makes similarly sized form factor iPhones and they don't even allow the next gen software (iOS 11) to run on a 5 year old device. And yet no one insists that the iPhone needs to change to a be a less similar form factor.

I've spent over $6000 in Sonos equipment, and I have several Play 1s, Play 3s, and even a Play 5. I would personally love if they'd allow a Sonos One to pair, but the tone of some of these 'requests'; "Attention: Sonos. You just lost a potential sale because something I WANT, (hat has never been promised to me) I DID NOT GET. And if don't get exactly what I WANT, I'm going to boycott your product." Who talks like that? Has anyone is the history of their job ever been talked to like that and thought "Gee, I really want to go above and beyond my job responsibilities to help that person get their demand met?"

Here's a thought. Go buy those other products then. If those companies have demonstrated a dedication to updating 13 year old hardware with new functionality, works as reliably as Sonos, and satisfies your demands in a superior way, support those companies. But don't come here into a forum, spend the time to sign-up and post, and whine about something you feel entitled to, from a company that's doing it better (not perfect, but better) that every single tech company out there. The ZP100 came out 3 years before the first iPhone, 4 years before the first Zune was even developed, and 4 years before Spotify. I'm going to go listen to ARIZONA on my ZP100 linked to my Sonos SUB (a device that didn't even exist) via Spotify Connect now. I can't even use an old iPhone 3Gs, made 6 years later after my ZP100 to even open Spotify. Yeah, Sonos is the problem.

And to Sonos, I just purchased (5) Sonos Ones, a PlayBase and a PlayBar w bracket for my dad. Great addition to add voice control.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Yes some of the tone used is unreasonable, but I do think Sonos missed a not unreasonable expectation from users. It makes sense to think that to voice enable a room, you only really need one voice enabled speaker, and that if you accept that logic, it also makes sense to think you could add a One to an existing setup for better integration, if you have a Play:1 already in a room, that plus a One could mean a stereo upgrade.

It's been pointed out that the hardware is not the same, and that there may be small sonic differences, but I think Sonos wouldn't do themselves much harm if they enable pairing of One's and 1's, or adding a One into existing surround setups, if that already includes a Play:1. (No point adding a One to a system made up of 3's or 5's)

Then they need to perhaps re-assess any plans they have for voice enabled versions of their other speakers to make sure you can pair voice and non-voice enabled versions. I don't think it makes sense for surround setups especially to have to replace all speakers for voice, or to buy 5 new speakers with voice capability when you probably only need one.

I think the voice tech is still quite new and it's not clear if there are any benefits to lots of voice enabled devices in the same room improving speech recognition and therefore it doesn't make much sense to most to buy more than is needed. For example, if you were using Echo Dots you wouldn't buy one per speaker, you'd buy one per room.

If Sonos took that on board, then I think they'd satisfy most people. Of course there will still be some who will complain that the One and Play:1 look/sound different, but you can't please absolutely everyone..
I have a Play:1 and a Play:3 and I have just received the new Sonos One, which I have now setup with my other, older 2.

All 3 speakers are paired, work from the Sonos app and I can use Alexa (from the Sonos One obviously) to control all 3, so it does exactly what I wanted it to! I had heard that they didn't pair so I queried Sonos and they confirmed that they do: https://twitter.com/Gavin_Blomeley/status/940655826569715712

:D

Obviously the Play:1 and Sonos One are slightly different looking (my Mrs didn't even realise they were different..) but both look great and I have them in different rooms so it really does not bother me that they aren't identical!
Grouping is not pairing. Grouping is using the group button to make them all play the same source in sync. Pairing is done via the Settings menu and is a semi-permanent configuration in which the pair of speakers is designated to play the left and right channels of a stereo signal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Bottom line, they are two different models, and Sonos has never allowed the pairing of two different models. Nothing new here, and if they did allow pairing, it would be an anomaly.Sonos has never had two speakers that look so similar and, to many , sound very, very similar or pretty much indistinguishable - or maybe totally so with the help of TruPlay.
So although there's 'history' here, the reasoning isn't really the same Suggesting so is deliberately missing the point of the numerous requests. So much so that Sonos are considering allowing stereo pairing of these two speakers that 'only have two components in common'. Not that would ever hold my breath on anything Sonos is 'considering'.
There were as many people who ranted endlessly about not being able to pair a 1st and 2nd gen Play:5 and they looked nothing alike. My faith in the reasonable and rational analysis of those who complain about such things is not really strong.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Can i add my voice to requesting that the Sonos One be allowed to pair with the Play 1. I have a Play 1 and Play 5 in separate rooms, along with a full 5.1 setup in the lounge. I was considering buying a new Sonos One to replace one of the paired Play 1s in the lounge to enable integrated voice functionality (I already have a dot that I use in various rooms), and then to move the usurped Play 1 to the bedroom. However, as it seems I would have to spend another £400.00 to accomplish this and have not one but 2 Play 1s to rehome I think I'll pass.
Badge
Definitely eager for Sonos to bring this functionality - it would be an elegant solution to adding voice control to my living room without adding a redundant speaker or dot. Can't really justify buying 2 Sonos ones to replace the pair and only need a spare play 1 for the spare bedroom.