Question

Pair of Play 1 speakers not working with Alexa

• 17 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge
I have my Sonos system configured to work with Alexa. I can say "Alexa, play Pink Floyd in the living room", and it works. The same is true of my family room. I have a Sonos Connect in the living room and family room. I can also use voice commands to play music on a single play 1 in my garage. However, in my sun room, I have a pair of play 1 speakers paired in stereo. When I use voice commands to play music in the sun room, whatever was last played in the Sonos app on these speakers plays, not what I tell Alexa to play. There are no other devices named "sun room". I tried forgetting them and re-discovering them, but that did not help. I think I'll try a different name and see if that helps.

Anyone else experience this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge
I have my Sonos system configured to work with Alexa. I can say "Alexa, play Pink Floyd in the living room", and it works. The same is true of my family room. I have a Sonos Connect in the living room and family room. I can also use voice commands to play music on a single play 1 in my garage. However, in my sun room, I have a pair of play 1 speakers paired in stereo. When I use voice commands to play music in the sun room, whatever was last played in the Sonos app on these speakers plays, not what I tell Alexa to play. There are no other devices named "sun room". I tried forgetting them and re-discovering them, but that did not help. I think I'll try a different name and see if that helps.

Anyone else experience this issue?

I renamed the "Sun Room" to "Man Cave", and now the pair of play 1 speakers work with Alexa as expected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I renamed the "Sun Room" to "Man Cave", and now the pair of play 1 speakers work with Alexa as expected.
Good to hear it is functioning. As you may have found out, some custom room names can cause some troubles when it comes to giving commands. I experienced a similar problem personally when I named my Bathroom PLAY:1 "Water Closet". After changing the name to Bathroom, the problems vanished.

One thing to keep in mind, the voice recognition should be getting better the more you use it. This, in turn, explains what may be happening. Amazon may be having a hard time recognizing Sun Room, but seems to have a much easier time recognizing the more common term "Man Cave".