Answered

Nothing is currently playing on Audible

• 24 November 2020
  • 12 replies

Hi

On all of my Sonos speakers, Moves &one’s.

When asking Alexa To play an audible book, she begins to play, but if I ask her to be rewind one minute or any other amount of time she says “Nothing is currently playing “

I have tried the same commands on a Amazon echo and it works fine.

I have tried the same commands on a Amazon echo and it works fine.

this used to work fine a couple of weeks ago I was only recently in the last 3 to 4 weeks stopped

This used to work fine and then It suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago.

In the Sonos app I have unauthorised and re-authorised my audible account and this has made no change, I have also rebooted all of my speakers and this has made no change.

if I ask Alexa to play music from either Amazon or Apple it works fine and will also fast forward or rewind the time asked.

Please help!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 26 March 2021, 10:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Also if I start playing the audible book from the Sonos app then I can use Alexa to fast forward for one minute etc. it just doesn’t work if I start the book using Alexa.

Same issue.  This is very frustrating.

I really hope this gets sorted soon, it’s the reason I didn’t buy more speakers this Black Friday.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same here. Why isn't this fixed yet?!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I recommend you get in touch with Audible and give them this feedback - they are the only ones in a position to alter the functioning of their Alexa skill.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I recommend you get in touch with Audible and give them this feedback - they are the only ones in a position to alter the functioning of their Alexa skill.

What skill? Why Audible?

This worked until a few months ago and Amazon claim to have changed nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Apologies - I forgot Audible is Amazon.

The answer is the same however - we can only really fix something if we wrote the software for it, which, in the case of Alexa and Audible integration, we didn’t. As long as the speaker you ask to play can get the stream to itself, things are working on our end. What commands Alexa will or will not work with has a lot more to do with Amazon than Sonos, and typically functions, abilities and some skills are restricted on Alexa devices not made by Amazon.

Aside from asking you to reboot your speakers and router, and removing the Audible account from Sonos and adding it on again, I can only ask you to get in touch with our technical support team and check that all is well on the networking side of things. Due to the description of the problem, however, I doubt that this is what the matter is.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Apologies - I forgot Audible is Amazon.

The answer is the same however - we can only really fix something if we wrote the software for it, which, in the case of Alexa and Audible integration, we didn’t. As long as the speaker you ask to play can get the stream to itself, things are working on our end. What commands Alexa will or will not work with has a lot more to do with Amazon than Sonos, and typically functions, abilities and some skills are restricted on Alexa devices not made by Amazon.

Aside from asking you to reboot your speakers and router, and removing the Audible account from Sonos and adding it on again, I can only ask you to get in touch with our technical support team and check that all is well on the networking side of things. Due to the description of the problem, however, I doubt that this is what the matter is.

But they DO work on all Echo devices. The only thing the commands don’t work on are my Sonos devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

But they DO work on all Echo devices. The only thing the commands don’t work on are my Sonos devices.

As Echoes are made by Amazon, they work differently. Any non-Amazon device running Alexa has to operate through Amazon’s Alexa API (Application Programming Interface), and due to this some features are unavailable, and some don’t work as well as they could. This is by Amazon’s design, and many other companies work in exactly the same way.

For example, Sonos also has an API, and 3rd-party software is limited in what it can do to Sonos speakers for this very reason, and that’s the way we want it - we wouldn’t be able to effectively troubleshoot if apps by other manufacturers were allowed full access to Sonos systems.

Amazon’s reasons are different, but the restrictions still apply. If Alexa-enabled Sonos speakers could do everything an Echo could do, would Amazon sell as many Echoes? Probably not.

Surely Sonos should fix the problem or contact Amazon on behalf of their loyal customers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Corry P I don't know if you are a Sonos employee, but this is not really the right answer. You should not tell your customers "tell Amazon/Audible it's not working". It should be Sonos.

This has been a known bug/problem for months now. I can hardly believe Sonos could do anything to get around the problem together with Amazon.

Exact same issue.  I was planning on updating some speakers and replacing my surround sound with Sonos, but this issue put a halt to all that.  It seems like features are degrading.  It shouldn’t be the customer’s job to track down and coordinate a fix on a premium product. I’m not dropping another $2k until this is resolved.