Answered

Norway and Alexa

• 4 October 2017
  • 13 replies

I have setup my echo dot and update the app and it does not work? Is this not supported in Norway? If not, will it ever? :?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 October 2017, 23:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 1
In Norway here too and have a couple of Dot devices.

I must say, all that marketing with emails, in app alerts (even all this written in Norwegian) and app update around this integration and then it does not work here.

Why market a feature we can't use? I am very dissapointed.
@Skelton the point is that both Sonos and Amazon of wrong here, but the rotten tomoato goes mainly to Sonos dont market and sell products in a region that it wont work. Bottom line. I know the way these things work, I am not an dumb ass. I took the chance with the Echo Dot knowing there would be limitations, but not with Sonos, 😞
As a Norwegian, I would love to speak to my speaker.. even if that means I would have to speak to Alexa or whatever voice assistant I get, in English. Young Norwegians are often terrific at being able to speak a English, and while not being native.. being able to tell my speaker that I would want it to play a certain type of music, or the weather in my area.. in a language different than my own, until it becomes available in my native language is actually not a problem.. and I don’t see why it should be a problem at least just letting us use it in English if that is the problem.
Hello :)
This is my first post on this forum, so be gentle with me xD

Seems like people have problems with the dot and the sonos, i have had a dot for quite some time now and just got the sonos one to go together with it, at first alexa and the one did not work together.. but after some googling and testing it now works perfectly for me 🙂
what i did was:
open the sonos app - go to settings - my sonos account - edit my sonos account - profile - edited the adress information to us (random us adress.) and changed my preffered language to english - then go back to more menu and press voice services and then you can chose alexa and you will get a setup guide 🙂 now i can use alexa on my sonos one 🙂 hope this helps some people out there :D

And if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask, i have managed to find a few work arounds on the dot and alexa 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Amazon Alexa control is only available in the US, UK, and Germany. We'd love to bring the integration world-wide one day, but no details we can share on when and where next.
Me too, very dissapointed, not really good enough I have invested a great deal of money in my Sonos system and bought a dot in the expectiation they could work togther
Does Alexa work on the Dot by itself in Norway?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I'm surprised by the confusion. I guess people are less familiar with how products like Alexa work than I realized.

Sonos is providing you with a connection to Amazon's Alexa through the Sonos One, or alternatively you can do it yourself. In the future Sonos One will provide a connection to Google's Assistant.

Ryan/Sonos can't provide details on what's next because it's not their choice.

Why market a feature we can't use? I am very dissapointed.

I'm willing to bet there's a ton of features in Sonos that you don't or can't use. You just care about this one. There's a lot of people in the US, UK, and Germany. Voice control is the future, and the idea that they should wait until every ecosystem is supported everywhere is obviously not a good one.

In your free time I'd suggest getting over to Amazon and requesting they bring Alexa support to your region!

I have invested a great deal of money in my Sonos system and bought a dot in the expectiation they could work togther

I'm sorry that you wasted any money, but come on guys this isn't Sonos' fault. If you bought a US region locked disc, and it didn't work in your Samsung player that wouldn't be Samsung's fault. There's no "magic" involved with these technologies (Alexa, Google, etc). The devices serve as relays to put your voice data into "the cloud" where it's processed and results are sent back down.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
@Skelton the point is that both Sonos and Amazon of wrong here, but the rotten tomoato goes mainly to Sonos dont market and sell products in a region that it wont work. Bottom line. I know the way these things work, I am not an dumb ass. I took the chance with the Echo Dot knowing there would be limitations, but not with Sonos, :-(
Again, there have always been external services with Sonos that you haven't been able to use. The difference here is that you care more about voice control than them.

The product does work fine, but you're limited to those external service providers who offer support for your region. Again, no change from every day up until now. It's misleading to say that Sonos doesn't work, and I expect most Sonos customers in your region would rather have the product as-is than not at all.

As for the suggestion that a company shouldn't sell a product unless it has identical functionality in all places well that is irrational and impractical.

The product does work fine, but you're limited to those external service providers who offer support for your region. Again, no change from every day up until now.

No longer true, the above. Sonos does not support Alexa even a month after the external service provider offers full support for the region - even while Sonos claims to do what you say in the quote. India, as an example, with Amazon having done their bit over a month ago.

Sonos has been caught flatfooted on this one.

To those in Norway, your first door banging needs to be on the Amazon door. Unless Alexa/Echo is released by Amazon in Norway, there is nothing anyone can do, except workarounds. That don't always work.
Hello,

This too is my first post, go easy.

Oladonk, I have a good Customer that ive installed Sonos for including Sonos Ones and she has a daughter in Norway, she wants me to go to Norway and install a system for the daughter.
Are you saying that I can trick the Sonos account in thinking I am in UK/US and the Alexa will work?
Please confirm this will work ok for a dot and Connect amp too?

Thanks any help much appreciated ?
When I got the Amazon Echo Dot a couple of weeks ago, I had to do the tweeks with an American address, and with little effort it soon worked in Norway. Controlling my Sonos speakers (and my HomeSeer installation) with ease.
After I made it work I changed the adress back to Norway, so now it gives me weather for my hometown.

Today I got a Sonos One, and basically the same trick there. Just log on to your sonos-account, change setting to US (as described by OlaDunk above), and then it will let you add your Amazon account in the Sonos app. Then I just changed the setting back to Norway again.
Works like a charm :-)

Note: It does not understand Norwegian though - you have to speak English (or any of the other languages supported by Amazon Alexa)

On a different note... This works so well for me that it probably is gonna be expensive - I now have to replace a few Play:1 with Play ONE in order to use the voice control everywhere 😕
ALL YOU NEED IS TO CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS TO A US ADDRESS I DID AND WORKS 🙂 :@:8:8:8:8:8