No Alexa

• 22 October 2017
  • 23 replies

Am I the only one that hates the idea of Alexa on my Sonos? I just want my music to play on my Sonos. I don’t need some device listening to me. Music. That’s all I want.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Then don't enable the skill. Alexa is 100% voluntary. Nothing is listening to you unless you enable it. Even the Sonos One with Alexa built in needs you to enable the skill, and Sonos hardwired the LED to the microphones so they cannot be activated without lighting up. That way, even on the oft chance the device is hacked or Big Brother takes over, those most fearful of being spied on will know when it is listening.
I had wondered if you could not enable Alexa, but I couldn’t find that information on the website.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd really like a hardware mike disable switch.
You can turn the mic off.
Isn't there one already on top of the unit as it is on Echo/Dot?

Though even with it left on and Alexa enabled, I suspect that unless the trigger word is uttered, all that is listened to by the mike isn't being relayed to the cloud. If it was, there would be a huge load on Amazon cloud servers, and I don't think Amazon=NSA.
I worry more about misuse by kids/guests to move volume levels around or to start music play. As for all other buttons on Sonos units, can the one for the Mic be disabled in the controller?
So I’m not the only one that doesn’t want things listening. A hardware switch would make me feel better too. I figure Sonos will want to add this to all the units on the next iteration. Just say no.
Just press the existing button on top of the unit?
There is both a hardware switch and a hardwired LED that lights up whenever the microphone is listening and cannot be defeated without opening the unit and desoldering a coupling.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I worry more about misuse by kids/guests to move volume levels around or to start music play. As for all other buttons on Sonos units, can the one for the Mic be disabled in the controller?

There is one controller setting which turns off all the buttons on a player (except for the connect button). For the Sonos One, this also locks the state of the microphone. You can turn off the microphone, then turn off the touch commands for that player. From that point on, the only way for the microphone to be enabled is to go into the controller and turn the buttons back on, then by touching the microphone button on top of the unit. There's no way around this. It's a security feature.

We wanted to make sure if you were worried about microphones on in your home you could rest easy with the Sonos One. The microphone can be turned off with a button press, and you don't even need to enable Alexa in the first place. As jgatie said, there isn't a software way to disable the microphone LED. It's linked to the power on the microphone itself, if that has power, the LED does too.

There is one controller setting which turns off all the buttons on a player (except for the connect button). For the Sonos One, this also locks the state of the microphone. You can turn off the microphone, then turn off the touch commands for that player. From that point on, the only way for the microphone to be enabled is to go into the controller and turn the buttons back on, then by touching the microphone button on top of the unit. There's no way around this. It's a security feature.

Good to know; that should meet every requirement of the Alexa shy. Except for having a password for controller access:-). But that is for other threads.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Am I the only one that hates the idea of Alexa on my Sonos? I just want my music to play on my Sonos. I don’t need some device listening to me. Music. That’s all I want.
I'm pretty sure you can still buy the Sonos speakers without the built in Alexa. Problem solved.
I just purchased a Play:1 because my wife said to get Alexa out of the house.
Just read an article where there are reports of Alexa laughing errantly. That would be the end of that for my wife.
I have no Alexa on any of mine. Bought the older model.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have no Alexa on any of mine. Bought the older model.So why the complaint :?
I just purchased a Play:1 because my wife said to get Alexa out of the house.

Lol. This reminds me a couple months when I had a date over at the house.

"Uggghh. Would you tell HER to turn off the lights".
I have no Alexa on any of mine. Bought the older model.So why the complaint :?I replied to this thread a long time ago before I bought the last Play One. I was concerned I’d be stuck with “her”, but it all worked out.
If Alexa is on, you turned it on. To turn it off, on the mobile app go to Settings > Voice Services > Amazon Alexa > Remove.

...and you're dunch.

Lol. This reminds me a couple months when I had a date over at the house.

"Uggghh. Would you tell HER to turn off the lights".

My significant other yells at her. Calls her names. If I defend her, I'm in trouble. I'm not allowed to say the words "Be patient, it's a beta" again.
There is both a hardware switch and a hardwired LED that lights up whenever the microphone is listening and cannot be defeated without opening the unit and desoldering a coupling. so I should go around and check every speaker every hour to make sure the light isnt on? forget it. i will never own a Sonos spy device.
There is both a hardware switch and a hardwired LED that lights up whenever the microphone is listening and cannot be defeated without opening the unit and desoldering a coupling. so I should go around and check every speaker every hour to make sure the light isnt on? forget it. i will never own a Sonos spy device.

No, you should never buy a Sonos speaker with microphones. Remember to throw out your cell phone, computer, tablet, TV remote, hard line phone, and anything else with a microphone while you are at it. Can't be too careful, not to mention too non-hypocritical.