Answered

New SONOS ONE can connect to music services but won't play sound.

• 15 May 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi all, wonder if this is common or if I'm a lucky one!

I ask my Sonos 1 'play radio 1' it replies 'bbc radio 1 from Tune-in' but no sound plays.
  • Same with asking it to play from my Amazon music Library (Prime). It says 'playing X on Amazon music' but no sound plays.
  • If I manually play the same radio or music via the Sonos App it all works fine.
  • In the Alexa app the Sonos skill is present and enabled.
  • I've tried restarting my router and Sonos devices.
  • I've uninstalled the voice controls and re-installed them.
There is an echo dot in the house that uses Alexa to play from My Amazon music library and Tune-in radio just fine.

Just wondering if the device itself is faulty and I need to return it, any experience to shed some light on it?
Cheers.
icon

Best answer by reed2000 15 May 2019, 12:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

In case it help someone else...
I got it working by...

Going to the Alexa app and;
-Deleting all my sonos devices, from the 'All devices' section of the devices tab.
-Unregistered the Sonos One too from the same place.
-Switching to the sonos app, remove the Alexa voice service in the Room settings.
-Turned all the Sonos devices off.
-Turned them back on.
-Go into the Alexa app/devices and see what has registered as a new device there. Some of my sonos devices did but not all.
--So I presses the + icon top right to add a new device, selected speaker and sonos as the type. It then found my last device.
-Then go into the sonos app/room settings and add the Alexa room settings again.

This worked for me and was quicker and easier than the super long list of instructions elsewhere. Wish it was easier but I guess it's difficult to get SONOS level plug and play when integrating with 3rd parties. However I can no longer tell people - buy SONOS it just works without adding the caveat - "it might not if you use it with 3rd party apps!"

Last thing is to work out how we want our Alexa groups. Seems you can't use voice commands to group as we do in the Sonos app as we're accessing an Alexa service through voice not the Sonos app - wonder if we'd ever get that!?

Hope this helps others.
There is an Alexa/Sonos outage in progress since this morning. However normal service seems to have resumed in the UK.

Sonos were late in updating the status page.
This seemed unrelated to the outage.

It did seem related to the list of Sonos devices in the Alexa app - also reading about the web on this subject it is a common issue.

I wouldn't want people to disregard the actions taken here thinking it was due to an outage!
It is almost certainly related to the outage. I had the exact symptoms this morning. However all is now working.
Pleased it's all working for you.

However my issue was related to incorrect device registration on my Alexa app/service. Alexa couldn't find the new device but was listing it in the device list, all be it incorrectly. This is why removing them all and installing again fixed it for me.

If I had taken no action it would not have fixed itself as the system was incorrectly set up. This is different to your issue.
Huh? Alexa couldn't find the new device but was listing it? Alexa was accepting the commands but no music was being played. Because there was an outage...
I had same problem this morning all working now , i only had issues with my living room speakers in the end i re-authorised amazon music services and suddenly it started working again