Question

New Play 1 massive difficulty with alexa thing

• 24 October 2017
  • 16 replies

Badge
Bought expensive new Play 1 expecting easy setup. Now haven't got a clue.. do I have to buy an alexa thing. Why doesn't it just work!! arghh!!!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Well, for one thing, the Play 1 (Play:1) is not new, the new model is the Sonos One. If you did not purchase a Sonos One, then it does not have built-in Alexa and you must purchase an Alexa device such as an Echo or Dot.

Second, to set up the Sonos skill on your Alexa device (no matter which you have), see the following link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/alexa-now-playing-on-sonos-6791301

To use Alexa to control your Sonos, see here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343

To troubleshoot, see the following:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4345/
Badge
Hi jgatie, Thanks for your reply.. it is a new Sonos One bought today. I understood you could control it via mobile Alexa app I downloaded from Amazon.. That's as far as I get because on "Skills" tab it only offers GO TO DEVICE SETUP then I get Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus and Tap.. I tried all those just in case.. I was hoping to see my Sonos One on the list.. any ideas from that point? ps the new speaker installed seamlessly as usual in the normal way..
No. I do not own the Sonos One. I do know that you must add it to the Sonos system first, then have the Alexa app search for devices. I've also heard a couple people had better luck with the web based Alexa interface rather than the app, or if you have another Alexa device, you can ask it to discover devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Why are you trying to control the Sonos One via the Alexa App? You need to either use voice commands via Alexa on the Sonos one, or use the Sonos app to control the Sonos One.
Why are you trying to control the Sonos One via the Alexa App? You need to either use voice commands via Alexa on the Sonos one, or use the Sonos app to control the Sonos One.

Nobody said anything about controlling anything via the Alexa app. But you do have to tell the Alexa app to search for new devices or else it is never going to know it is there. That is how you add any Alexa enabled device to your system.
Badge
Ok thank you, then how do I tell the Alexa app to actually find the correctly installed brand new and working Sonos One? It isn't on the list of devices, it only offers GO TO DEVICE SETUP then I get Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus and Tap.. I am obviously doing something wrong and wonder if you could point me in the right direction please? It would be much appreciated!
The easiest way is to go to one of your other Echo devices and say "Alexa, discover my devices". Or you can do it via the Alexa app or the Alexa web interface.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There are some great steps to follow here.

Basically, it sounds like you need to enable the Sonos Skill through the Alexa App. Also, you need to go through the Sonos app and add your Sonos player if you haven't done that yet.

Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Nobody said anything about controlling anything via the Alexa app.

. it is a new Sonos One bought today. I understood you could control it via mobile Alexa app I downloaded from Amazon
Nobody said anything about controlling anything via the Alexa app.

. it is a new Sonos One bought today. I understood you could control it via mobile Alexa app I downloaded from Amazon

Sorry, you replied after my post and did not quote who you were replying to. I assumed it was the one right above.
Badge
Thanks for all your replies trying to help, but I am probably just going to give up as the alexa app is not recognising the new speaker despite having re-installed the speaker and the alexa app. I cannot believe this is so difficult though, when the adverts for the Sonos One make out that is so easy. I will just use the speaker in the ordinary way until I get a genius round to my house who may be able to fix it.. Thanks anyway)I may try and contact Sonos themselves if they can walk me through over the phone. Looks like it is more hassle than it is worth to be honest. Shame because I do love my Sonos speaker system so much!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'd suggest giving us a call on our support line. The team can help get you all sorted out.
Badge
thanks Ryan, do you have a number for support ? I tried 08006802345 and left out the leading zero but it is "number not recognised"
Badge
Meaning I tried 08006802345 and 8006802345
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That would be the US number. For the UK, you'd want to use 026 1526, which is available Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm.
Badge
Thanks a lot Ryan , very much appreciated and thanks for your time..