Answered

New echo dot to playbar

Want to pair new gen 3 echo dot to playbar, so alexa can speak through the playbar and I can hear her. Is this possible or was I miss lead when I purchased playbar?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 29 March 2019, 16:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

You can setup an alexa group with your echo dot so that music/streaming audio commands play the audio on your preferred speaker. the playbar. You cannot have Alexa (echo dot) speaks through your playbar. (You could with a fire tv and TV, or with various adapters that come with other issues, but I don't think that's what you were getting at).

I can't say that you were or were not mislead, since I do not know where you got your information from, or what assumptions you made based off that information.
Want to pair new gen 3 echo dot to playbar, so alexa can speak through the playbar and I can hear her. Is this possible or was I miss lead when I purchased playbar?
I also want to link my Gen 3 Echo Dot to my Playbar/Play1 surround sound set up, but I am aware that I wont get Alexa to come thru' the Sonos system (I'm not bothered by that) However all I want to do is control the Sonos set up via Alexa and stream my music thru' the Sonos set up - how do I do that please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I also want to link my Gen 3 Echo Dot to my Playbar/Play1 surround sound set up, but I am aware that I woont get Alexa come htru' the Sonos system. However all I want to do is control the Sonos set up via Alexa and stream my music thru' the Sonos set up - how do I do that please?
See: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en
Thank you, but that didn't work as a search doesn't show my Playbar - what am I doing wrong?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Open the Alexa app.

Search skills and games for "Sonos"

Enable the Sonos skill.

Sign into your Sonos account.

Once your account is linked say to Alexa: "Alexa, play the radio on [room name of Playbar]"

She should be playing the radio on your Playbar now.
GrizzlyTBear,

When the Sonos Skill is setup, like Misfit describes. I would then go onto create an Alexa Group. Set the echo device in that group as the enabling/controlling device for the group, then add the Playbar to the group... this will ensure it’s audio ducks each time you speak to the echo device. Then in the 3rd section of the group set the Playbar as the “preferred” speaker for music playback.

When the group is setup and you ask the echo device to play music, for example “Alexa, play some music” the echo will automatically play the music through the Playbar implicitly, without the need to state/mention its room name.
Thanks all - it's all now working 😃
One sound bar to rule them all. If you already own Sonos equipment, then you’re familiar with the advantage Sonos provides music lovers. Currently Sonos offers more than 18 different music services including Spotify, Pandora, Slacker, Sirius XM, iHeartRadio and more. In addition, Sonos equipment can find music on networked computers in the home, it’s compatible with iTunes and even pull music from Amazon Cloud Player. An abundance of great music will play through 9 amazing speakers powered by nine class–D amplifiers. Image all of this music content at your fingertips and controlled with a free app on your smartphone. The Sonos PlayBar offers all these features plus it can connect to your HDTV to give you amazing sound for your TV or movies. If you have other Sonos equipment, then simply connect an optical cable to your HDTV and you’re done. If this is your first Sonos device, then be sure to also connect the PlayBar to your network using an Ethernet cable or pick up a Sonos Bridge. Get endless music and remarkable sound today with the Sonos PlayBar.

Moderator edit: removed invalid link
[quote=Ken_Griffiths]GrizzlyTBear,

When the Sonos Skill is setup, like Misfit describes. I would then go onto create an Alexa Group. Set the echo device in that group as the enabling/controlling device for the group, then add the Playbar to the group... this will ensure it’s audio ducks each time you speak to the echo device. diebestetest Then in the 3rd section of the group set the Playbar as the “preferred” speaker for music playback.

When the group is setup and you ask the echo device to play music, for example “Alexa, play some music” the echo will automatically play the music through the Playbar implicitly, without the need to state/mention its room name.[
/quote]

Exactly what I needed! You just saved me several hours. Thanks!