Need some help - Sonos + Alex Groups + Harmony Hub + Sonos Connect + Receiver

• 31 May 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +2
Hi there, looking for some help. I have Alexa Groups setup with my Sonos and it appears to be working fairly well. Where I'm looking for some help is to be able to say, "Alexa turn on Sonos Downstairs," and have Harmony Hub (or Alexa) turn ON my Denon AVR so that it plays as part of the Alexa Group.

Is this possible and if so, can I get some help in the proper setup in order to accomplish this?

My AVR is Alexa compatible, so I'm sure there must be a way to achieve this, I just haven't been able to get my head around it yet.

TIA

1 reply

Badge +2
update in case someone else stumbles upon this

I'm sure there's likely something I was missing either on the harmony hub side, or the Alexa Groups, but I couldn't figure it out. I ended up resolving it by installing the Yonomi app along with the associated Yonomi Alexa skill. It took a little bit of tinkering and I had to create a new Harmony activity to simply turn on the Denon AVR and set it to the CD input for the Connect (versus a 'Listen to Sonos' activity), but all in all, pretty painless and it's working well now. I can say, "Alexa, turn on music downstairs", or "upstairs", "everywhere", "outside", etc.

I realize this is a Sonos forum and I'm probably preaching to the choir, but it sure would be nice if Amazon improved their Alexa smart home section and GUI. It's pretty overwhelming once you start getting up there in scenes with Harmony Hub, Hue and Sonos. Just seems like they could make it a lot easier and more intuitive.