Answered

Need some advice on how best to setup daughter's new Roam

• 26 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Bought our daughter a Sonos Roam for her birthday. 

We are however a S1 household with many speakers, Alexa integration and smart home IoT devices.

Given the fact I do not intend to update to S2 anytime in the near future, how would I best setup her Roam? Should I create a net-new Sonos account for her and install S2 on her mobile device? What about Alexa integration and the fact that is tied to my login and account? 

I really do not wish to install the Roam under my account at this time unless someone can convince me otherwise as I’ve heard rumblings of potential issues running S1+S2 under the same account. 

Just looking for best practice here without sacrificing functionality for both my daughter, or the rest of the household. 

TIA

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 26 August 2021, 19:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To avoid mistakes/confusion, maybe power off all S1 Sonos devices before setting up the Roam on a new Sonos accountand new Alexa account?

Thanks Ken,

So if I’m understanding you correctly, I could setup under my account, be sure NOT to link to existing system and then she should theoretically be able to utilize my Alexa account/credentials to enable voice control, correct? 

If I had to bet, I would think she’ll likely 9/10 utilize Airplay2 from Sonos App to play on the Roam, but I do want to be able to utilize Alexa functionality (replacing an old Dot). 

The same (or different) Sonos account is fine, but the Alexa account will need to be a separate account as you can only link the Sonos skill in the Alexa App to one Sonos Household only - it’s the Amazon account that needs to be different. The Sonos account is up-to you. I keep our Households all on the same Sonos account, but no reason why you can setup a separate Sonos account for your daughter, but she will definitely need her own Amazon/Alexa account. HTH

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks Ken,

So if I’m understanding you correctly, I could setup under my account, be sure NOT to link to existing system and then she should theoretically be able to utilize my Alexa account/credentials to enable voice control, correct? 

If I had to bet, I would think she’ll likely 9/10 utilize Airplay2 from Sonos App to play on the Roam, but I do want to be able to utilize Alexa functionality (replacing an old Dot). 

I run both S1 and S2 Apps on the same Sonos Account, but separate accounts are fine to use too. When the S2 App is installed just use the option to create a ‘new system’ setup and do not link it to your ‘existing’ system. The Roam will run in a separate Sonos Household and that will keep the two setups entirely separate. Your daughter is best to use her own Amazon/Alexa Account with a family profile that has a (shared) family music account.