Napster with Alexa

Userlevel 2
Will Alexa be able to work with Napster

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

119 replies

when will Sonos work with Napster - as above when I bought Sonos I was given a 6 month free trail with Napster - 3 years on and I am hooked - I dont want to move to Spotify as its a poor platform - appreciate its the biggest and there are so many hours in a day - but can you give an ETA on when Napster will be supported? otherwise its premium music platform apartheid and not fair!!!
Another request for adding Napster support for Alexa. Thank you.
I wrote to napster a couple of weeks ago by using the "Give us feedback" function in the app, and they told me that they are not planning to offer a skill for napster. Since I would like to use napster with alexa on my Sonos speakers too, I would suggest that everybody who is posting here should better write to napster instead. Maybe we only have to bug them enough to be heard.
Add my request for Napster capability!!
I was actively encouraged by Sonos to use Napster as it was offered free for 6 months on Sonos purchases, so it’s a bit out of order for Sonos not to have this platform available for use with Alexa. Be nice for Sonos to reply to this thread, even just to tell us it’s not gonna happen
I have been with Sonos from start great product, now I have added Alexa to my system so please speak to Napster about Alexa connectivity
Will Alexa be able to work with Napsterditto x many
i'd like compatibility with napster too!
I would also like to have Napster controlled by Alexa.
I was actively encouraged by Sonos to use Napster as it was offered free for 6 months on Sonos purchases, so it’s a bit out of order for Sonos not to have this platform available for use with Alexa. Be nice for Sonos to reply to this thread, even just to tell us it’s not gonna happen

It's not really up to Sonos. Right now, Amazon's Connected Speaker API for Alexa only supports music services that are supported on Alexa. If that is going to change, Amazon has to change it, either by allowing connected speakers to control native services via Alexa, or supporting your preferred music service on Alexa devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
But it was Sonos' decision to throw away all the work to support any and all music services, a feature that remains unique to their hardware, and hand total control over which services would be supported to Amazon. Amazon also control the speech grammar entirely too (which is why we don't have group volume, or groups generally).
But it was Sonos' decision to throw away all the work to support any and all music services, a feature that remains unique to their hardware, and hand total control over which services would be supported to Amazon. Amazon also control the speech grammar entirely too (which is why we don't have group volume, or groups generally).

Yes, that was the decision so they would not have to force users to run a local server, say clunky commands, and suffer the non-intelligent responses inherent to a "tell Sonos to do xxx" type of skill. Instead they made a less amateur, more integrated interface utilzing Amazon's API. Perhaps you'd like to compare sales figures to see what approach is more popular?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Sigh.
So I guess that's a big "No" on comparing sales figures? 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, that was the decision so they would not have to force users to run a local server, say clunky commands, and suffer the non-intelligent responses inherent to a "tell Sonos to do xxx" type of skill. Instead they made a less amateur, more integrated interface utilzing Amazon's API. Perhaps you'd like to compare sales figures to see what approach is more popular?

Sonos has always had the ability to play music from multiple sources including locally stored music. That was one of the biggest selling points. Multiple sources, different rooms, one source perfectly synced in multiple rooms. The possibilities were endless and Sonos seemed to lead from the front.

Nobody forced us to run a local server but if we wanted to listen to our locally stored music we accepted it and got on with it. I'm one of the users who was given a free 6 month napster trial which has worked flawlessly, for many years, with sonos, and is cheaper than the other streaming services so I'm certainly not going to sign up to Amazon (who appear to want to control the world). Sonos, rather than making us run a server want us to pay a third party? Sorry, but I decide who gets my money. As for the clunky commands, the app is now clunky and Alexa's skills are massively restricted which makes it quite useless, so this seems like a massive step backwards for me.

There are sales on right now, Sonos Plays are on offer with a massive discount, I am so disappointed with the Sonos One that I certainly wont be buying any more speakers until Sonos return to what they are good at, provide a way to play various music streams from various places to various speakers. Add in the dubious marketing ploy of controlling your music through voice only when it works for all or drop Alexa and develop their own AI.

Rather than compare sales figures, maybe compare the amount of customers who feel cheated by the all singing, all dancing Sonos One with Alexa against those who bought a Sonos Play 1 and found it worked right out of the box.
Can I have my vote included guys! Please add Napster to the Alexa music services so I can control my Sonos through Alexa!
Please add Napster and Apple Music too
Yes, Napster for me! Tried various streaming services, including Spotify which I didn’t find very user friendly, so I returned to Napster a few years ago. Napster!
Need Napster to work with Sonos 1
Please add me to the chorus of voices wanting Napster added.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Looks like we are wasting our time asking for napster. I wrote to sonos about napster and local music playback since they dont participate on here. This was their pretty poor response:

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with our product.
Unfortunately there are only three Music services that you can fully control with your voice (Spotify, Amazon Music and TuneIn radio). It is up to Amazon if they add any other music services in the future.
If you bought your Sonos One speaker directly from Sonos website, then you are under 100-days money back guarantee policy. Hope this helped. Thank you.
I agree that it would be marvelous to support Napster which is my primary and longest held music source.
Will Alexa be able to work with Napster
I would very much like Napster support on Sonos. It was my reason to purchase Alexa. Thanks
Hey everybody, I emailed Napster asking about support for Alexa (not just with Sonos but the Echo as well). They said they are working with Amazon on Alexa integration but couldn't provide a date when it would be available.

Napster does make players for iOS/Android/browser available to third-party software developers (like myself), but they don't provide documentation for direct access to the audio stream data on their servers. Direct connection to the audio stream is necessary for developing an Alexa skill to play audio content. This is why no third-party developer has been able to connect Napster to Alexa. We'll just have to wait for the team at Napster to make this available.

Sonos has integration with each but they don't have the capability to make the two play nice with each other. If you are a paying Napster subscriber, your best bet is to contact Napster directly and voice your desire for Alexa control. I'm sure Napster understands the risk of losing customers to Pandora & Spotify because of Alexa and are making that effort a priority.