Music restarts after being paused

• 1 February 2019
  • 13 replies

I start music on my Beam and Play:1 group using Alexa ("Alexa, play Laid Back Classics Station"). After a while I stop it again using Alexa ("Alexa Stop"). Then after several minutes it starts again of its own accord. I then either tell it to stop again using Alexa, or pause it in the Sonos App. But, after several minutes it starts again. It does this repeatedly with about a 5-10 minute gap between me stopping/pausing and it restarting. There is nothing pressing on the controls on the Beam or Play:1's and no noise that it could be misconstruing...and anyway I have said "stop" not Pause when stopping it.

I cannot be sure, but I think this has only started happening since I upgraded to the latest software update (I am now on 10.0), but it has occurred on a few days now. The only way I can then stop it is by switching to TV input (by saying "Alexa turn on the TV")...

I have submitted a diagnostic immediately after it last occurred (that was the 4th resume after stopping it!). My confirmation number for the diagnostic is 2120986725.

thanks
- Dave

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I start music on my Beam and Play:1 group using Alexa ("Alexa, play Laid Back Classics Station"). After a while I stop it again using Alexa ("Alexa Stop"). Then after several minutes it starts again of its own accord. I then either tell it to stop again using Alexa, or pause it in the Sonos App. But, after several minutes it starts again. It does this repeatedly with about a 5-10 minute gap between me stopping/pausing and it restarting. There is nothing pressing on the controls on the Beam or Play:1's and no noise that it could be misconstruing...and anyway I have said "stop" not Pause when stopping it.

I cannot be sure, but I think this has only started happening since I upgraded to the latest software update (I am now on 10.0), but it has occurred on a few days now. The only way I can then stop it is by switching to TV input (by saying "Alexa turn on the TV")...

I have submitted a diagnostic immediately after it last occurred (that was the 4th resume after stopping it!). My confirmation number for the diagnostic is 2120986725.

thanks
- Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sending in the report. Looking at the command log, I see a few pause commands, then I see play commands coming in through UPnP from an iPhone. I'd recommend double checking all Sonos controllers on your system to make sure that the play command isn't coming from one of them.

If you can confirm that, it would be a good idea to troubleshoot this issue live. Please reach out to our phone team who can take over from here. Our phone number and hours can be found here.
To add some extra detail....if I originally start the music from the Sonos App and then stop it using Alexa ("Alexa Stop") the problem does not occur...so it seems to relate specifically to when the music is originally started using Alexa.
I have the same issue with my beam, only it restarts uncommanded from pause within one minute. This only started today and is seriously annoying.
I'm going to PM a mod to take a look at this.
Badge +20
I have had exactly the same this evening, stopped now though but started again four times until I dropped some local music into the queue.

Started music using Alex from Amazon Music
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have exactly the same problem, only thing that has changed is it looks like my system automatically updated to 10.0

Came home to “New Music” blaring!

Diagnostic 373245410
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have exactly the same problem, only thing that has changed is it looks like my system automatically updated to 10.0

Came home to “New Music” blaring!

Diagnostic 373245410

Thanks for sending the report. Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to troubleshoot this live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number's found here.
Jeff,
Thanks for the response. To clarify, there is no iPhone controller restarting at any point but I have tried stopping the music both using Alexa and the app on my iPhone. In the diagnostics I sent you I only used the app to stop the music. An additional note is that I had set up a Yonomi routine which switches off the music when I go out. I found it is playing when I return home...except when I start the music from the app instead of using Alexa before I go out.

Certainly happy to get on the phone when I have the problem if you still want that

Thanks
Dave
Userlevel 7
Hello

Another Poster had a similar issue with his Sonos starting up precisely at 7PM every evening. It tuned out to be a SmartThings routine that was commanding his Sonos. Is there anything like that in your home?
Hi. No, I have no routines which start my Sonos. I’ve double checked in IFTTT and Yonomi and I don’t have Smartthings.
Some further info. I also have a stereo pair of Play:1’s in another room controlled by an echo dot. If I start them using Alexa on the dot and then stop them in any way (app, Alexa or via Yonomi routine) they stay stopped. Seems like it is in the Alexa integration in the Beam?
I have tried this (starting with Alexa, then stopping with Alexa and via app) a few more times over the last few days and it remains stopped. Nothing else has changed 😞 So I am still a bit confused as I was doing this during UK office hours so I could call the UK support line to get it investigated live. I will keep trying and, if it occurs again, will call the support line. Has anyone else who indicated they had the problem been able to call the support line and get it diagnosed? Thanks anyway everyone!
Mine started doing this today too. I had to unplug my Echo Dot to stop it. Never happened before.