Answered

Multi room

• 13 March 2018
  • 7 replies

So..........
I have a sonos one in the kitchen (with built in Alexa).
I have just purchased an amazon echo for the bedroom (also Alexa).
I can be in the bedroom and ask Alexa to play music in the kitchen, and vice versa, and that all works fine, but trying to get the music to play on both seems impossible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
icon

Best answer by Keith N 13 March 2018, 18:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, samthemanellis. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! Sonos is not able to group with Echo speakers. They are separate speaker systems connected through the use of the Amazon Alexa service. You aren't the first to bring up the desire for a feature like this, so I'm happy to pass this along to the team in the meantime. Thanks!
AFAIK, Alexa does not currently have the ability to group and ungroup Sonos Speakers on demand. As a workaround, check out an app called Yonomi. As of an update they released last week, you can now create various routines for grouping, ungrouping, play/pause, set volume, etc. Yonomi routines can then be linked to Alexa.

I haven’t played around with it much since the update but I have created a Yonomi routine called “dinner time” which does the following:

1-set kitchen speaker volume to 35%
2-set dining room speaker volume to 40%
3-play jazz playlist on kitchen speaker
4-play jazz playlist on dining room speaker
5-adjust hue lights

When this routine is run, Yonomi understands that i want the kitchen and dining room speakers grouped rather than each playing the same playlist simultaneously. I believe they accomplish this through their “works with sonos” partnership.

Additionally, with the Yonomi skill is added to Alexa, I can say “Alexa, turn on dinner time” when I want to run the above routine.

Hope that’s helpful! I’m hopeful that many more good solutions will come out of the “works with sonos” initiative.

Cheers,
Matt
Badge
Hey there, samthemanellis. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community! Sonos is not able to group with Echo speakers. They are separate speaker systems connected through the use of the Amazon Alexa service. You aren't the first to bring up the desire for a feature like this, so I'm happy to pass this along to the team in the meantime. Thanks!

I would love to see Sonos add preset groups under "Rooms"... Hopefully, that would allow Alexa to play "xxxx" in "yyyy" where yyyy is a preset group in the Sonos app. Doesn't help those intgrating Echo etc, but if it works it would allow choosing a group of Sonos speakers by name.

It would also reduce the grouping process in the Sonos app if you have a frequent grouping you like to use. Just set up the group and then you can pick that named group under Rooms and it automatically groups the speakers chosen.
Will definitely try that, thank you for a very in depth and understandable response, dinner time sounds good at yours haha
Userlevel 2
I've done something similar in Yonomi where I set 2 Sonos zones to play the same favorite and they group properly. What I can't figure out is how to un-group them. Even if I use a routine to pause all of the devices in the group, I cannot pick one of those grouped players alone in a routine and have it play the new favorite. It ends up keeping the group and playing music in a zone I don't want anymore. Anyone figure out how to remove a group through Yonomi?
I've done something similar in Yonomi where I set 2 Sonos zones to play the same favorite and they group properly. What I can't figure out is how to un-group them. Even if I use a routine to pause all of the devices in the group, I cannot pick one of those grouped players alone in a routine and have it play the new favorite. It ends up keeping the group and playing music in a zone I don't want anymore. Anyone figure out how to remove a group through Yonomi?

Probably better to ask over at Yonomi. Not many here use it.