Answered

Microphone sensitivity for the “Alexa” wake word is low

I still have to use either, but here is the Stuff magazine take on this, from their review:
"Finally, Alexa seems to be less responsive on the Sonos One, at least compared to the Echo, meaning you have to speak a little bit louder for it to hear you. Considering my Echo will sometimes pick up an unintended ‘Alexa’ reference while I’m chatting in another room, this probably isn’t as significant a shortcoming as it sounds.
Read more at https://www.stuff.tv/sonos/one/review#RDh9IciKOQwAQ2K0.99

But something that is a concern that Sonos ought to look at, if what you say is more applicable.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 December 2017, 23:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

262 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We're working on it Nick. I'll make sure to post in here when the final fix is out. They've been making some changes to improve things, but it's not quite ready yet.
Badge
Good to hear Ryan! I just got my sonos one and noticed the same mic sensitivity issue described here. When comparing it to my old google home mini and the JBL Link 300 the mic on the sono doesn't seem to pick my voice up unless I'm right by it or talk at an abnormal volume when at a distance. My prior two smart speakers would pick me up on the opposite side of the room at normal talking levels. Once this is fixed and google assistant comes this will be the Smart Speaker to beat!
I have both a Sonos One and an Echo. Trying to solve the Sonos One voice sensitivity issue by updating the app to version 8.2.3 but it tells me that I'm up to date at version 8.3.1 and no update available?
same experience here - noticed the last few days back to shouting. How can something have changed without there being any software update? Very odd. About to turn the mic on and off again as suggested here to see if that helps....

This is my question in another thread (and again apologies - but finding answers in this forum is very difficult at times)... I've been experiencing this mic sensitivity "fall-off' as well - and it's almost as bad as the sensitivity was upon release last fall - aka shouting and not being heard. How has this happened if there has not been an additional update??? Or has there been an update. Frustrating - I thought we'd gotten over this hurdle.
I thought I was the only one who noticed the mic sensivity got so much worse since the past few days all of a sudden. It doesn't recognize my voice at all when song is playing... The song isn't even that loud at all and when I literally shout 'Alexa' right in front of the speaker, it just doesn't get it. So frustrating.
I’m having the same issue. I have two Sonos Ones in my living room downstairs. My Kitchen Echo upstairs will hear me better than my Ones downstairs even when I’m downstairs.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
@nwk1022 Try turning the mic off and then on again. That will usually restore the sensitivity of the Sonos One, at least until Sonos releases a permanent fix.
Badge
Still an issue, had to reset mic again..

How long until we get a fix pls?
I have the new Sonos One located in our (almost) square-shaped Kitchen with a doorway leading to a 15 foot, rather narrow, Hallway.

Halfway along the hallway is an Amazon echo Dot (Gen-2) and a Play 1 speaker, each situated on a large marble telephone table with surrounding lamps etc.

Whenever I dish out Alexa commands in the kitchen area and whilst standing (or sitting) much closer to (and facing) the Sonos One speaker, I still occasionally get a response back from the echo Dot device in the hallway ... it’s s bit odd because the next instruction, a few moments later, can often result in the subsequent response then coming from the Sonos One, even though I have not moved my position or changed voice direction.

I’ve just dug a tape measure out of the toolbox and measured the distance from the chair, where I sometimes issue the Alexa instructions, and the Sonos One and it is approx. 2 metres. The distance from the same chair to the echo Dot is approx 5 metres. I have very quickly sketched a very rough diagram to show the type of layout in question.

Admittedly this switching of Alexa responses from the two different devices is not what I would call a frequent thing, but it does happen very occasionally and I can find no reason why this happens just on a few occasions... I will add that I’m not even facing the doorway when these 'unexpected' responses occur from the Hallway Dot.

So my thoughts are the Sonos microphone sensitivity may not be quite what it should be, but I do also appreciate that the Sonos voice control is still running in beta at this present time.

However, because these issues are so infrequent and somewhat difficult to reproduce, I can only say I will just simply see how things improve after each new Sonos firmware update.
Badge
Had a system update today, does this fix the issue?
Had a system update today, does this fix the issue?
No, but I don’t now think this is simply a Sonos issue, but more to do with Amazon, as I’m getting similar issues now between two echo dots ... it’s like one dot has microphones that are more sensitive that the other ... both are echo Dot v2 running the same (latest) firmware.
I have had the sonos one for a couple of month now, this is my first sonos device.
I thought if I'm to start replacing my echo's this would be a good place.
I'm starting to wish I hadn't. The response to any wake work is abysmal, I can be right next to it, shouting and still nothing.
In fact the dot upstairs gets me before the Sonos will. The kitchen dot will more likely get my voice 80% of the time before the sonos responds.
is there anyway I can justify keeping this, apart from the sound beinng great, it's not really doing whats it's designed to do?
Does Sonos frequent these forums and offer advice or updates?
Looking forward to any fix that might come out for this. I have the same issues. I used to walk into the room and ask Alexa to turn on the lights with my Echo Dot. It always worked flawlessly. Now with the Sonos One, I have to speak louder or even turn towards the One to make it work.

Seriously considering to disable Alexa on the One and reconnecting my Echo Dot. It's just not convenient enough. The Wife Acceptance Factor of the One doesn't really give me a choice.
Looking forward to any fix that might come out for this. I have the same issues. I used to walk into the room and ask Alexa to turn on the lights with my Echo Dot. It always worked flawlessly. Now with the Sonos One, I have to speak louder or even turn towards the One to make it work.

Seriously considering to disable Alexa on the One and reconnecting my Echo Dot. It's just not convenient enough. The Wife Acceptance Factor of the One doesn't really give me a choice.

Yes I am experiencing the same issue too with my Sonos One in my Kitchen... my nearby echo dot in the nearby hallway is much more sensitive and hears my commands moreso than my Sonos One, even though I am in closer proximity to the Sonos One.

It really does need fixing!... hopefully Sonos are looking into this issue.
I have also noticed that voice sensitivity has significantly decreased in the past couple of weeks. Any time music is playing I need to shout in order for Alexa to respond, and it often requires several tries. It's embarrassing when guests are over, and unless a fix is available, I'm not likely to use Alexa at all.
Badge
Same issue here with Sonos one not responding while playing music. I will literally be standing over it and yelling. As far as Dots go, I have them scattered throughout the house as well as other Alexa enabled devices. It is very common for me to be speaking to a dot or Alexa device with a response coming from another device in another room.

My main concern is having to yell at the Sonos One. Hopefully an update is around the corner.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Again, try turning the mic off and then on again by pressing the button on top of the Sonos One. That will usually restore the sensitivity of the device, at least until Sonos releases a permanent fix.
I'm shouting at Alexa like an annoyed parent to turn the volume down ... given up on it to be honest
So.... @Sonos, are you ever going to resolve this issue or should we start expecting shoddy/unfinished products to be released by Sonos with no solutions in sight, just barren promises?

Consumer Reports writes a scathing review about Tesla, and within a very short period of time, they release an update to their vehicles, addressing the issue that was discussed by the Report.

Not to conflate the two scenarios, but the Sonos One has been release for over a year now and the software (Including the uselessness of Alexa) have not changed.

It's annoying and embarrassing when I have to yell at my Sonos ONE (Alexa) to carry out a command when there is music playing, or even when there is not. Whereas with other products, which I will not mention, the sensitivity to engaging the device is considerably more attuned.

I realize that Sonos has a policy of secrecy and not releasing any information to the public, especially when it comes to timelines-- but there is only so long I am willing to settle before I write a product, or in this case, an entire company off, as being obsolete due to said company turning a willing blind eye to its' more than loyal consumer base and thinking that because we own the product, we are therefore trapped within the ecosystem with no other option but to accept the fact. Software patches these days can be worked on and released within weeks, if not days. The sheer fact that we are forced to pay so much for a product that has yet to meet basic standards is insulting.

Hopefully with heavyweight hitters such as Apple entering the market, the added competition will add a fire under Sonos to get with it. Just because some people are invested in the product lines offered by Sonos does not make them unwilling to sell them off and start purchasing in a different ecosystem.......
So.... @Sonos, are you ever going to resolve this issue or should we start expecting shoddy/unfinished products to be released by Sonos with no solutions in sight, just barren promises?

Sonos released Alexa integration as a beta product. I'm not saying that there is no reason to expect Alexa integration to work better by now, just that Sonos isn't trying to pass this off as finished production as far as Alexa integration is concerned.

Consumer Reports writes a scathing review about Tesla, and within a very short period of time, they release an update to their vehicles, addressing the issue that was discussed by the Report.

Not to conflate the two scenarios, but the Sonos One has been release for over a year now and the software (Including the uselessness of Alexa) have not changed.

Not over a year. It was release last September/October timeframe.

It's annoying and embarrassing when I have to yell at my Sonos ONE (Alexa) to carry out a command when there is music playing, or even when there is not. Whereas with other products, which I will not mention, the sensitivity to engaging the device is considerably more attuned.

I have a similar issue with echo products. I'm not saying it's as bad, just that it seems to be an issue with Alexa across the board to some extent.

I realize that Sonos has a policy of secrecy and not releasing any information to the public, especially when it comes to timelines-- but there is only so long I am willing to settle before I write a product, or in this case, an entire company off, as being obsolete due to said company turning a willing blind eye to its' more than loyal consumer base and thinking that because we own the product, we are therefore trapped within the ecosystem with no other option but to accept the fact. Software patches these days can be worked on and released within weeks, if not days. The sheer fact that we are forced to pay so much for a product that has yet to meet basic standards is insulting.

Sonos has a lot of features and fixes that customers are waiting on. All of them with a set of customers who are threatening to leave if they don't get attention soon. I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to prioritize development tasks right now. Regardless, I don't think it's accurate to say that Sonos is willing turning a blind eye on customers. It probably feels that way, not denying that.

Hopefully with heavyweight hitters such as Apple entering the market, the added competition will add a fire under Sonos to get with it. Just because some people are invested in the product lines offered by Sonos does not make them unwilling to sell them off and start purchasing in a different ecosystem.......

I can't agree with the thought that Sonos isn't motivated by competition already. It's why they are working on improvements with Amazon integration, why are they are working on Google integration, probably talking to Apple about Siri integration, working on Airplay 2 integration, working on a new product release, working on the 'works with Sonos' program, and who knows what else. I can't see a company doing all this without already being motivated by competition.

I think it's kind of interesting that you mention Apple as the motivator for Sonos though. Apple was the first to bring voice interface to the market, yet they have fallen behind Amazon and Google. Amazon and Google have had their home voice control products out for years, and Apple only months, after missing the Christmas season entirely. Apple release the homepod with several promised features missing, to be released later. They just release airplay 2, but it only works with homepod for now, you have to wait for all the other speakers. I'd say that Sonos is aware and motivated by the competition, but looking at Apple's recent history in the space, it's hard to conclude that Apple is motivated to compete.
Well put @melvimbe 😃. I'll concede to your rebuttal, it's just that it's a little frustrating is all.
I agree with your frustration, with the entire voice control industry. It's really in it's infancy as a technology goes, and no where near it eventually needs to be in terms of hearing you properly and ease of use. We've really barely touched the surface as to what all we will eventually be able to do. Maybe a decade from now.

Overall, I really glad Sonos has sort of positioned itself in the middle of all this. Not only is it adding more features to my existing system, but I think it's adding more motivation to the other players, particularly in terms of integrating well with others. But again, Sonos hasn't been prefect by any means at this point.
I gave up. I just replaced my Sonos One with the Echo Dot. It's an extra hassle to say "play music in the living room" to get music playing on the Sonos One but it's definitely less annoying than having to repeat every command twice because the Sonos one didn't pick it up.

I'm really dissappointed. I definitely understand that Sonos has other priorities but if you sell a "premium" product, you also need premium features and Sonos is not delivering with its voice recognition on the One.
I gave up. I just replaced my Sonos One with the Echo Dot. It's an extra hassle to say "play music in the living room" to get music playing on the Sonos One but it's definitely less annoying than having to repeat every command twice because the Sonos one didn't pick it up.

I'm really dissappointed. I definitely understand that Sonos has other priorities but if you sell a "premium" product, you also need premium features and Sonos is not delivering with its voice recognition on the One.

Now that is an option, but will you then lose your Airplay 2 functionality as this is the sole reason I bought the Sonos One to be able to drive my Sonos Play 1s I have?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
There has been much Alexa talk on UK forums about what it will and won’t do and when features will be available.
The UK, and EU, are now under the much stricter privacy law that GDPR has established.
Any developemnts for global release, Sonos being a global company and not wishing to fragment its OS, must be aware of and be compliant with local legislation and proposed future legislation (info of which is reaily available by looking in the right place which legal depts do) of which voice control is a “big thing”. Ensuring that devices only listen when commanded to and then stop is a big “if” at present. Devices continuing recording without command fall foul of EU legislation and can attract a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, fine.(IIRC something like 4.5% of turnover)