Answered

Microphone sensitivity for the “Alexa” wake word is low

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

262 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Thanks for sharing everyone. The team is constantly working with gathered data around the microphones as we tune the Sonos One and Alexa to improve the microphone’s ability to pick out just the right sounds. This’ll get better over time as Alexa and the Sonos One learns.
So, are we talking days, months, years? Will the improvement be before the 100 days return window expires? I'm close to sending 3 Sonos Ones back now.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
So, are we talking days, months, years? Will the improvement be before the 100 days return window expires? I'm close to sending 3 Sonos Ones back now.
Though the microphones work great in the majority of homes and setups, we're at that point where we're collecting more and more samples and fine-tuning the microphones. Voice control improves in stages, so I'd expect to see improvements as releases come. There isn't just going to be one update, but several that continue to tine the microphones and the Sonos One in general. One top of the microphones, you'll see the Alexa skill get better too, improvements on that may be as quick as every couple weeks, you might not notice what's changed though, depending on what it's targeted at. Those updates would largely be handled on the cloud side of things, so it wouldn't be a software update on your system (those will come too though).

My suggestion would be to keep using the Sonos One. If you do have a lot of trouble with it hearing you, see if there's anything that might be causing a lot of background noise right next to it. That would help in the short term.

I just can't get my head round this. The Echos and Dots, I believe, detect the wake word using the microphones and processing on the device itself (we are assured nothing is sent to the cloud until the wake word has been recognised and the lights come on) so I assume it's the same on the Sonos One. Surely Sonos tested the Sonos One in a few people's homes before releasing it to make sure that the microphones and the software, etc on the device worked. So how is it that lots of people are experiencing wake word detection to be so much worse than the Echo devices? And how can we be sure this can be fixed with only device software (not hardware) updates?

If we bought our Sonos Ones from Sonos then we have the option to return them in 100 days if this doesn't get better, but if we bought them elsewhere we may have only 30 days or less for this.
Same problem here. I bought my Sonos One today, and set it up this evening. Even in a silent house, after the family has gone to bed, I still have to say "Alexa" in a raised voice from a couple of feet away to wake the unit; even then, it does not always wake. I have several Echos & Dots which all respond much better than the Sonos. This is my first Sonos and I love the sound quality so would have liked to replace a couple more Echos but this is a serious problem and, since I purchased from a store, I only have 30days if I wish to return it as faulty. PLEASE FIX THIS QUICKLY!
Add me to the list of the unhappy. My Echo wakes quickly at a normal volume but I have to SHOUT at my ONE to get her attention. This product is a dud because of this one stupid issue. If it is a software issue THEN FIX IT SONOS. Sorry I'm so used to shouting
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We appreciate the input everyone, and we’ve received the feedback on voice recognition sensitivity with Sonos One. The team is hard at work making cloud software updates to improve the experience, and will continue to make additional updates as needed.

The Sonos One is a smart speaker, and as with all of Sonos, is designed to get better over time.
Userlevel 1
I'd like to "echo" what has been said here. This product has potential to be great but poor support will let it down , come on Sonos, get this sorted quickly!
Userlevel 1
We appreciate the input everyone, and we’ve received the feedback on voice recognition sensitivity with Sonos One. The team is hard at work making cloud software updates to improve the experience, and will continue to make additional updates as needed.

When, Ryan, when is this going to be solved? A week, a month, a year? Just saying it will be better somewhere in the future is not good enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team has received your feedback on voice recognition sensitivity with Sonos One, and we’re already making cloud software updates to improve the experience. We appreciate the input and will continue to make additional updates as we go. The microphones tuning and understanding will continue to get better, as will other features.

We've just recently adding Spotify support and Flash Briefings to the Sonos One, and there's more to come.
Userlevel 1
The team has received your feedback on voice recognition sensitivity with Sonos One, and we’re already making cloud software updates to improve the experience. We appreciate the input and will continue to make additional updates as we go. The microphones tuning and understanding will continue to get better, as will other features.

We've just recently adding Spotify support and Flash Briefings to the Sonos One, and there's more to come.

One question to this: isn't the recognition of the wake word done locally in the device? How can an update in the cloud help here?

I am wondering if You maybe misunderstood the problem? It is not about voice recognition in general, but especially about recognition of the wake word. And according to my understanding this is done in the device. So an update in the cloud could not help. Update of the device software would be necessary.
Ryan, could You please comment on this? Am I wrong?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Brilliant 8.2.3 seems to be so much better Alexa hears me now even in a whisper. Great job guys just as it should be. I'll have to check for false triggers, the odd one is acceptable so long as its not triggering every couple of hours I'll be happy. Thanks and Happy Christmas to all at Sonos
Have listened to newscasts for a couple hours now with zero false triggers. Able to interrupt at any time without having to yell. It’s now working exactly as it should have from the get go. Did Amazon finally share their keyword tuning? Whatever changed, it’s very welcome!

Now, let’s get those skills like Radio Paradise working, and the One will be complete!
Ok so bought the Sonos One to replace our Echo Gen 2, we used alexa on it for about half a day and reverted back to Echo device. I’ve installed the update tonight but it’s too late to test, will enable Alexa on the one again tomorrow and report back.

I can confirm I have spent the day with this and its improved that much that I have set the echo gen two keyboard to Echo is I can use it for drop-in and I am using the Sonos as he main "Alexa" now. Nice one Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Anyone else noticing that the sensitivity while audio is playing seems to have deteriorated since the big update? Sensitivity in a quiet room is still great, but the last few days I’m noticing that I’m back to shouting if anything is playing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the reports guys, we'd love to look into this further. I've checked in and there shouldn't have been any changes recently. The team will be looking into this just in case something changed.

Can you please check something for us? Next time this happens, where you have to yell, can you go to https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html and select the card for that command? Then, press on the play icon next to "Alexa heard:..." and it'll replay what the microphone heard.

Is the replay covered up by a lot of music?

I noticed the sensitivity getting worse in the last few days and was able to fix it by turning the mic off and on again on the device. Worked for both of my Ones.
This would be a good test as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi YvieG, did you try turning the mic off and back on as I suggested above? Did that help? If not, I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line.
Userlevel 3
Hi Ryan, I was just coming on to say I had to do this this morning as well. I went ahead and submitted my diagnostics, 8473850.
Userlevel 1
same experience here - noticed the last few days back to shouting. How can something have changed without there being any software update? Very odd. About to turn the mic on and off again as suggested here to see if that helps....
Badge
I have 8 echo devices including the Sonos One and the Sonos is so weak in hearing me. Constantly at the volume I need to speak to it will actually make 1, 2 or 3 other echos in the house respond to me. I'm going to try moving the Sonos One to one more place in the living room to try to help it. Kind of sucks as I am now 3 speakers invested in Sonos.
I have had the sonos one for a couple of month now, this is my first sonos device.
I thought if I'm to start replacing my echo's this would be a good place.
I'm starting to wish I hadn't. The response to any wake work is abysmal, I can be right next to it, shouting and still nothing.
In fact the dot upstairs gets me before the Sonos will. The kitchen dot will more likely get my voice 80% of the time before the sonos responds.
is there anyway I can justify keeping this, apart from the sound beinng great, it's not really doing whats it's designed to do?
Does Sonos frequent these forums and offer advice or updates?
Looking forward to any fix that might come out for this. I have the same issues. I used to walk into the room and ask Alexa to turn on the lights with my Echo Dot. It always worked flawlessly. Now with the Sonos One, I have to speak louder or even turn towards the One to make it work.

Seriously considering to disable Alexa on the One and reconnecting my Echo Dot. It's just not convenient enough. The Wife Acceptance Factor of the One doesn't really give me a choice.

Yes I am experiencing the same issue too with my Sonos One in my Kitchen... my nearby echo dot in the nearby hallway is much more sensitive and hears my commands moreso than my Sonos One, even though I am in closer proximity to the Sonos One.

It really does need fixing!... hopefully Sonos are looking into this issue.
I have also noticed that voice sensitivity has significantly decreased in the past couple of weeks. Any time music is playing I need to shout in order for Alexa to respond, and it often requires several tries. It's embarrassing when guests are over, and unless a fix is available, I'm not likely to use Alexa at all.
Badge
Same issue here with Sonos one not responding while playing music. I will literally be standing over it and yelling. As far as Dots go, I have them scattered throughout the house as well as other Alexa enabled devices. It is very common for me to be speaking to a dot or Alexa device with a response coming from another device in another room.

My main concern is having to yell at the Sonos One. Hopefully an update is around the corner.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Again, try turning the mic off and then on again by pressing the button on top of the Sonos One. That will usually restore the sensitivity of the device, at least until Sonos releases a permanent fix.
I'm shouting at Alexa like an annoyed parent to turn the volume down ... given up on it to be honest
So.... @Sonos, are you ever going to resolve this issue or should we start expecting shoddy/unfinished products to be released by Sonos with no solutions in sight, just barren promises?

Consumer Reports writes a scathing review about Tesla, and within a very short period of time, they release an update to their vehicles, addressing the issue that was discussed by the Report.

Not to conflate the two scenarios, but the Sonos One has been release for over a year now and the software (Including the uselessness of Alexa) have not changed.

It's annoying and embarrassing when I have to yell at my Sonos ONE (Alexa) to carry out a command when there is music playing, or even when there is not. Whereas with other products, which I will not mention, the sensitivity to engaging the device is considerably more attuned.

I realize that Sonos has a policy of secrecy and not releasing any information to the public, especially when it comes to timelines-- but there is only so long I am willing to settle before I write a product, or in this case, an entire company off, as being obsolete due to said company turning a willing blind eye to its' more than loyal consumer base and thinking that because we own the product, we are therefore trapped within the ecosystem with no other option but to accept the fact. Software patches these days can be worked on and released within weeks, if not days. The sheer fact that we are forced to pay so much for a product that has yet to meet basic standards is insulting.

Hopefully with heavyweight hitters such as Apple entering the market, the added competition will add a fire under Sonos to get with it. Just because some people are invested in the product lines offered by Sonos does not make them unwilling to sell them off and start purchasing in a different ecosystem.......