Making calls using Sonos One

• 20 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Development so that Sonos One can be used to make calls

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
I have just purchased a Sonos One speaker with Alexa, and have seen that it does not support voice calling, however I have also read that this is a feature that will soon be added. Can you confirm if this feature will be available soon? Also how would I set it up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is a feature exclusive to Amazon's Echo devices. Other "Alexa enabled" devices also are lacking this functionality. Whether this functionality gets added to other devices would be completely up to Amazon.
And I'd bet that Amazon won't want to do it. They most likely make more money from their own hardware sales, rather than any licensing with third party products, so I would be that they want to have something in reserve to entice you to purchase the Amazon equipment.
I see that Amazon has now opened up messaging and calling to 3rd party Alexa devices. Any plan to add it to Sonos One?
I see that Amazon has now opened up messaging and calling to 3rd party Alexa devices. Any plan to add it to Sonos One?

If Sonos commits to it, I wouldn’t expect to see it fully rolled out to the field for a good year. Hardly a priority, however, for a high fidelity multiroom speaker system. Just get an Echo Dot for the phone calls...
this is the specific reason that keeps me from buying several more speakers, I love the drop-in feature on Alexa, and have to keep Echo's to have the function, so for now sonos is just in the great room area..... come on Sonos add it so I can replace all my Amazon Echo's with Sonos!!!