Answered

Low Volume Issue

• 25 January 2020
  • 6 replies

I have a Sonos One in my bedroom that is set to a very low volume using the buttons on the top of the device. This is so I don’t bother anyone in the next room. However if I say “Alexa volume 1” this sets the Alexa volume higher than what I’ve set the Sonos device manually. So when I say “Alexa, news”, I get the following”

“Here’s your news” (at the louder Alexa volume)

“from Sky news” (at the lower manually set Sonos volume)

“from Sky news” (yes, repeated, at the lower manually set Sonos volume)

Then the news follows at the lower manually set Sonos volume.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I get Alexa to reply in the first instance at the lower volume?
  2. Why is Alexa repeating “from Sky News”.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 March 2020, 07:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hey @broonster thanks for the post. I’ll try my best to help.

The set volume in Sonos may differ from the “Level 1” volume that you ask Alexa to set it to. As Sonos’ volume roughly expands between 1-100 and Alexa’s range from 1-10, the functionality may divide the ratios differently due to that fact.

Regarding the News command, Alexa’s response voice cannot be configured as the normal speech volume configuration is done in the Alexa app. This communication is not established in the Sonos app at this time. Other customers have brought this to our attention, and I would be happy to send your feedback to our Sonos Team as a feature request.

If you check the settings in the Alexa app, do you see the news outlets which she would read out? If so, remove them all and re-add just one. Let me know if Alexa only reads the one outlet.

Following this, reply to this thread and I will get back to you.

Hey Adam,

Sorry for the late reply. Let’s ignore issue 2 for now as that has rectified itself. The biggest pain for me is issue 1. Why can’t the Sonos device just completely ignore what Alexa thinks the volume is and output everything at the volume I have manually set?

Cheers

Craig

In some respects the sonos speaker is similar to having two components, an echo dot-like device and also a sonos speaker all combined into one unit and the echo operates under amazons chosen volume conditions and the speaker works like all other sonos devices between volumes of 1 to 100.

I personally think to change the alexa component volume control would possibly mean Amazon having to change the volume increments and commands for all the echo devices too. So its perhaps not as easily done as we think and it may even require some hardware changes on some Amazon devices too ... Thats my guess, at least.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you tried changing the volume of the Alexa speech in the Alexa app? Is this possible?

In some respects the sonos speaker is similar to having two components, an echo dot-like device and also a sonos speaker all combined into one unit and the echo operates under amazons chosen volume conditions and the speaker works like all other sonos devices between volumes of 1 to 100.

I personally think to change the alexa component volume control would possibly mean Amazon having to change the volume increments and commands for all the echo devices too. So its perhaps not as easily done as we think and it may even require some hardware changes on some Amazon devices too ... Thats my guess, at least.

Yeah, that’s very likely. Still a little annoying though.

Have you tried changing the volume of the Alexa speech in the Alexa app? Is this possible?

Yeah, I’ve done that but lowest you can obviously go in the Alexa app in 1 and that is louder than what I have the Sonos set to.